I am planning on buying and fitting a new ceiling fan, with lights, in the bedroom. This is to hopefully replace the existing light pendant I currently have.
Being a complete novice at this project my main question is, is this a striaght forward change over, or is there more involved?
Currently I have a 36-40 cm long 'no frills' light pendent, which I guess does not weigh any more than 1/2 kg. By looking at the electrical connections from the screw off cap, there seems to be three grey electrical wires coming through from the ceiling and into the pendant. Each grey wire containing a red and black wire going off to various connectors. The grey wires also contains a copper wire with a green sleeve on them (earth?) which converge into one connector.
I am interested in buying the fan from either Homebase or B&Q stores, but havn't decided on make/model. Reading the external packaging of these fans, they appear to weigh around 6 kg and come with various drops and width sizes.
Couple of questions:
1. Will the fan have to be the same drop size as the current pendant in place? (floor to ceiling height is around 2.57 metres). Most of the fans I have seen seem to have a drop size of 45 cm with 106/107 cm width.
2. With the fan being a much heavier weight than my current pendant, will I require additional support from the loft/ceiling, or will the ceiling be able to take the weight? If so, will the fan come with additional support or will I have to purchase this seperately? If support is necessary how hard is it to fit these and what is involved
3. Will the electrical connections in the fan be similar to my current connection? (is it a case of looking at the current setup from the ceiling and matching it to the same connector ports in the fan?) Or is there more involved than this? Will I have to draw additional power from elsewhere or make any other electrical connections apart from the ones I currently have? Will I need to make any changes to the current light switch I have?
4. How are the ceiling fans like from Homebase/B&Q? Are they any good, and are they quiet? (for night operation). Any recommendations on brand or any other shops?
5. Are there any maintenance or additional costs involved with these ceiling fans?
Unfortunately, the packaging of these fans does not give a lot away apart from its dimensions and weight. Any help on this matter will be appreciated. TIA.