Sliding mitre saw - recommendations?

I need to replace my old Rexon chop saw with a sliding mitre saw so I can cut some 9" timber. The 255mm Rage saw from Screwfx was tempting, but quite a few reviews say it gave inaccurate cuts. Any recommendations for something at a sensible price (sub £250?) that's worth buying?

Reply to
nospam

With sliders its worth going for a decent one, since the tolerances required for good accuracy on the sliding mechanism are higher than for a chop saw:

Something like:

is very nice, although a tad above budget.

Reply to
John Rumm

I was tempted by that one but my schedule moved up so I've just bought a Bosch GCM8SJL from SFix at £50 more than my budget (£10 cheaper at Axminster, astonishingly, but I needed it for tomorrow). The reviews were good but by tomorrow night I should know whether or not it was a good buy ... or whether it's good bye ;-)

Reply to
nospam

The Aldi one's fine at £75 discounted to £50, only downside is pl astic pointers.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Is that still available?

Reply to
GB

No, you have to wait 5 years for it to come back on sale. It's pretty good when available.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Sounds like you got a bargain, then.

Reply to
GB

is plastic pointers.

ood when available.

I think so.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Decide what it's going to be used for. For example, do you want to cut say

12" shelving in one go?

I've had three of them - each one bigger - before the current Makita with

12" blade which was on special offer. Haven't found that wanting - yet. Thanks to John Rumm for giving the heads up on that special offer back then.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I bought one of these a while ago

e-saw-230v/7292f

I don't recommend it. There is no way to adjust the orientation of the blad e spin axis relative to the slide direction and it isn't exactly at right a ngles. As a result the trailing edge of the blade fouls the wood slightly as you slide.

Do other makes have an adjustment for this or is it usual for the frame cas ting to be accurate enough?

Robert

Reply to
RobertL