Sliding mitre saw, screwfix clearance

Hi folks,

Is this likely to be a good buy?

?ts=50813[Metabo 8¼" Sliding Mitre Saw 230V]

SPEC: No load speed 5500rpm. Blade dia. 210mm x 30mm bore. 20 tooth blade. Cutting capacity at 90 / 90° 255 x 60mm, mitres 177 x 60mm, bevel 255 x

30mm, compound mitre 177 x 30mm. L x W x H: 747 x 508 x 470mm. Weight 16kg.
Reply to
Tim S

I've one Metabo powertool, and I'd describe their quality as right up there with Makita & Bosch pro stuff.

I think the question may be if you're slightly overbuying - I doubt you'll be disappointed with it. I had (still have in fact) the Dewalt DW700 - a very similar design. I have now replaced it with a Bosch 12" blade mitre saw, as I needed the extra capacity.

Might be worth checking if it fits one of the mitre saw bench systems, as these really enhance productivity.

Reply to
dom

?ts=50813> [Metabo 8¼" Sliding Mitre Saw 230V]

IMHO you really want a 10" one. I found the smaller one I had before far too restrictive. Of course it depends on what you'll use it for but mine is just used for general household stuff. And the ability to cut 12" board is very useful.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

?ts=50813>

Tim

I too looked at this one recently and decided in the end to get the Ryobi one at £199.99 (88825). What won it for me was capacity (you can never have enough, and with my previous compound saw there were too many occasions when I could have done with another inch or two of capacity).

I've been very happy with the Ryobi - build quality is good and if you are just an enthusiastic DIYer like me you won't be disappointed. I got the table to go with mine - better than trying to balance it on the old workmate.

The only slightly -ve thing is it's noisy when the brake is applied - quite a clang when the blade stops.

Cheers - Kev

Reply to
Kevin

Kevin coughed up some electrons that declared:

Hi Kev,

And only £10 more. Thanks for pinting that out - it does everything I need.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Dave Plowman (News) coughed up some electrons that declared:

?ts=50813>

Thanks Dave,

Kev just pointed out a 12" one for 10 quid more.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

?ts=50813>>> [Metabo 8¼" Sliding Mitre Saw 230V]

As with all sliding saws, maintaining the smoothness of slide is the big issue

Reply to
stuart noble

Not having a pop, but how often do you need to cut 12" boards?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Won't be anything like the build quality of the Metabo though. Metabo is the mutts nuts.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Shelves. But of course the lager blade allows a deeper cut so can handle bigger 'ordinary' timber. I just found the smaller one couldn't far too often. .

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The Medway Handyman coughed up some electrons that declared:

Hmm. I don't doubt that you're right Dave.

I'll weigh it up tonight and get an order off - it's going to be a functionality/quality tradeoff, unless I spend too much money, which I'm strict on controlling as one must be with any medium/large project.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Worth looking at genuine second hand ones on eBay as well. I picked up a

12" Makita LS1214 SCMS for less that the price of the Ryobi that way.

The ideal general purpose saw is probably something like the Makita LS1013 - a two rail slide mechanism that will last and remain accurate and graunch free.

Reply to
John Rumm

Most of the 'shed' ones I've played with seem rather flimsy - too much play or slop. Of course I'd expect Makita etc to be fine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave

That may be true but for all purchases like this it comes down to a decision based on what I'm going to use it for, how often it will get used and how much it costs. If I had unlimited cash (I don't) or if I was using it to earn an income then I would probably have gone for something "better". However, for my occassional projects at home this is ideal.

The bottom line for me is I made the right decision buying the Ryobi.

Cheers - Kev

Reply to
Kevin

Follow up again...

I went for the Metabo on special offer. I nearly went for the Ryobi.

I weighed up everything that was said here and decided that 90% of my jobs would fit the capacity of the Metabo. I did bear in mind the shelf comment, but it was a case of drawing the line somewhere and I fancied something that for 90% of the work will hopefully be smooth, accurate and repeatable.

Again, thanks for all the comments! :)

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Not having a pop at your decision Kevin, sorry if it sounded like that. The Metabo maybe wasn't at that price when you bought your Ryobi. My first SDS was a Wickes because it was a lot cheaper than the Makita, and its a good tool. Now the Mak is at the same price I'd prolly go for that.

I use an Axminster SCMS based on the same criteria. Horses for course as they say.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Hey - no worries - just wanted to explain what drove me to buying the Ryobi. I must have spent a couple of days trying to make the right decision. 200 quid is alot for anybody these days and is the most I have ever spent on a tool and I wanted to ensure I made the right call.

I'm sure Tim will be delighted with his Metabo.

- Kev

Reply to
Kevin

If you do find occasionally it doesn't quite have the width capacity you need, you can always cut what you can reach, flip the job over - then if you're lucky you'll be able to reach part of the through cut to line-up the blade into to complete the cut.

Same can be done on over-depth cuts - but with only your pencil line to line up with on the reverse side

Reply to
dom

Kevin coughed up some electrons that declared:

I feel lucky at the moment - I'm having to build up from odd diy tools (I rent right now and have done since 2003) to a full scale set for renovation work, but I've saved a fair bit by some handy things turning up on ebay and the screwfix offers are certainly helping, so I don't like to miss something like this...

Anyway, I think I'm more or less tool-sorted for 9/10th of the jobs so on Sunday, I need to either strip the floor coverings in 2 rooms or dismantle the old kitchen. Saturday is electrical design, calculations and parts list for the wholesalers (I like that, can do it in bed with a laptop :)

Expecting to book the builder in December to do a couple of brick walls and

3 window and door modifications plus the drains. So that will be brickwork, large scale plastering of said walls and fiddly floor related wibblings out the way.

Then I'll be able to launch into full scale electrics, plumbing and bathroom fitting.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Know what you mean, I spend ages deciding on what to buy.

Any new power tool is a delight!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman