Mitre saw stands

My workmate tends to live with the mitre saw bolted to it, can't really justify a "decent" stand, will I regret getting a "cheapie"? e.g.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I'm generally dubious about anything with "Titan" as it's a noname Screwfix rebadge.

However, I do have a Titan bench grinder and that works (I'm not fussy, it only does odd jobs) and the reviews on your product are actually glowing - 5 stars from 5 reviews - that means noone found anything stupid.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The evolution one is probably better and is the same price. Its a bit on the heavy side being made from thick steel.

If you pay twice the price they are lighter.

Reply to
dennis

In article , Andy Burns writes

I've struggled to find anything more versatile to put my SCMS on than the floor, short or long lengths of wood are easily supported with offcuts so there's no faff with extending or shortening rollers or adding extra supports for really long lengths.

Are you really doing that much mitre work? Does Burns acres really have room for another stand :-?

Really useful for doing partition work as a business though, real time saver.

Reply to
fred

I have mine bolted to a big bit of 18 mm ply, I suppose about 24 x 30 inches (and it hangs on a workshop roof beam to keep it out of the way). For smaller jobs gravity keeps it on a workmate, or it can be clamped to this or to anything suitable with an F clamp or two. (The problem is that permanent stands take up space, my big circular saw has to live in the bike shed).

Reply to
newshound

It looks ok - in fact not that dissimilar to the old Makita one that I have (which is also a relatively cheap stand - being hollow section steel construction rather than ali).

The only comment I would make is that for permenent workshop mounting they do waste a certain amount of space. I am tempted to build a mitre saw "station" to replace the stand. Basically a bench with long top and fence extending in both directions, storage space below, and a cowl of some form to better capture the dust from the saw.

The bench arrangement would also make it easier to mark out pre-set lengths, or to fit stops etc when making multiple cuts to size.

Reply to
John Rumm

Mine is screwed to a worktop offcut, with 3 battens on the bottom to facilitate 'parking' on a flat surface. The middle batten can be clamped in the jaws of a workmate, as per

I've got some folding steps, the top of whose frame is the right height to support long pieces of wood.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Yankee workshop shows how to make your own, if you have enough space.

Reply to
Capitol

IIRC Norm also built a folding system that took a bit less room and could be put in a van as well as the fixed one that sat to the left of his RAS.

I've taken a lot of trouble to level the tables of my machines the same height as the benches. I can put the mitre saw on any of those surfaces and I have a few handy offcuts 75mm thick, that are just right as supports for long lengths.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Ah, just like my belt sander!

Reply to
newshound

My back would hate that.

A couple of brackets will see it stashed on the same wall that holds the ladder, saw horses and the space where the workmate should go if it didn't have the SCMS bolted to it for months

I've got about 45 sleepers to chop up in various ways, and one more stud wall, so I could live without one ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Looks quite like the one I have with my crap MacAllister sliding mitre saw. I can't remember if I bought in B&Q with the saw, or from Screwfix. A few years back, though.

It certainly makes using the saw a lot easier, and folds up quite small. I wasn't overly impressed with the method of fixing the saw to the table (clamp to a wooden base which then clips to the stand) but this looks to be improved.

The extensions look better as well - mine has a single support for each extension piece and there is too much flex.

Conclusion: mine has been useful within limits and you can put the saw in an open area if you are cutting long lengths of wood, which is a bonus. This version looks to have overcome some of the limitations of mine.

To me it is far superior to clamping the saw to a workmate, especially when cutting long (several metre) pieces of wood.

Hope this helps.

Dave R

Reply to
David