mitre saw

I have a chap on a visit who is going to cut the timber fro my shed, he has asked for a mitre saw. I'm considering a cheap one but wonder if there is a worthwhile advantage in going for a sliding or compound type for the future?

AJH

Reply to
news

I've got a sliding compound saw which I find very useful.

Sliding lets you cut much wider boards.

Compound allows you to cut complex mitres in two planes. You may not want to do that very often, but it also means that you can cut mitres on skirting board with the board lying flat rather then being upright, which makes life much easier.

You don't have to pay a fortune for one. Mine (8" blade) cost about £70 from Argos a few years ago. Screwfix item 73135 (£80) is basically similar.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Most are compound, not all are sliders. If going cheap then it better to usually go for a basic chop or mitre saw rather than a sliding one, since the sliding mechanism needs to be of a decent quality to make it worthwhile.

As to future, depends on what you want to do with it. Sliders give extra cross cut capacity, but often at the expense of a bit less rigidity, and they usually take more space as they won't often go as close to a back wall.

Reply to
John Rumm

What size timber? Many cheap saws will only cope with small sizes.

Personally, I find a decent sliding type well worth the extra. As it will cut wider things (like shelves) in one go. But only you will know what you'll use it for.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

+1.

I have been impressed by my Evolution compound mitre, bought from them as a "second" on eBay. The blade will also cut aluminium or steel, up to the thickness of Dexion.

Reply to
newshound

What would be a good make (brand) to use for making picture frame mitres. I already have a Nobex Mitre saw but a power tool alternative sounds attractive if it cuts as good and as accurately as the hand saw...?

Thanks

Reply to
alo

Isn't one of these types the best way to do that?

dennis

Pretty much all are compound angle cutting. Sliders you can do a lot more with, ie length cuts on timber upto a couple of feet or so, cut sheet materials upto a point, and cut wide boards. But a slider is more money, and much more size & weight.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

why not just rent one

Reply to
fred

Might well be the best way.

I've had 4. First one just a cheapie from a shed. More of a chop saw. Got annoyed it wasn't big enough for the sort of things I wanted. Bought a larger one. Then a cheap slider. That was Ok but a pain to set to give an exact 90 degree (or whatever) cut. So eventually got a large Makita on special offer, which is pretty well what I should have got first. But far too expensive for a one off use.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I doubt it and for the sake of

Reply to
news

Check carefully before buying - the cut capacity at 45 is smaller than at 90. My first chop saw would do a 4x2 laid flat on the bed, but could not mitre that size or cut it with the wood tall axis vertical.

Reply to
John Rumm

The aldi slider's fine at £75 IIRC, but not there now. Any mitre saw w ill build a shed, even a rock bottom thing.

Hiring makes no sense.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yup. Of course this may not matter - but do check first. Really annoying when you buy something and discover it won't do what you need.

My other requirement for a slider was to cut a 12" wide board in one pass. Trouble is the saws which can do this tend to be quite large.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)