Square D electrical panel question

Page 2 of 15
On 3/5/2016 8:16 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

The power comes from the pole to a meter box, which is outside the house. The power company can remove the meter and put plastic boots over the contacts, so I'd dare to say that is a primitive service disconnect.
I've not been out that side of the house in several years. don't know how the ground bar in the ground connects in to the matter. But, I do know the meter is outdoors.
There is some kind of cable from the meter box to the circuit breaker panel. The question is about the circuit breaker panel.
The ground wire in question comes in from outdoors (in a plastic wrapped sheath with two hots and a neutral). The ground wire presently connects to the same metal bar, about an inch from where the neutral connects.
It is possible (enough wire to work with) to move the ground wire (from outdoors) to a screw connector on one of the two ground screw bars.
I'm not a code reading electrician, and thank you for making it easy for me.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Saturday, March 5, 2016 at 8:41:02 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

You can dare to say it, but unless this code has been updated since it was posted in 2002, the meter is not considered a service disconnect because it is not considered to be service equipment.
Please refer to the mention of "meter" in Part 1 - General and 230.66 for more detail.
https://www.mikeholt.com/mojonewsarchive/NEC-HTML/HTML/Article230-Services~20020219.htm

Please see my comment about this a bit later on...

Yep, pretty sure we all knew that.

You've stated that you "don't know how the ground bar in the ground connects in to the matter".
I'll assume "matter" means "meter".
Until you know that and tell us, it would be unconscionable for us to tell you what wires can be moved without any qualification.

Then perhaps you should find one, have him/her assess the situation and let him/her make the determination as to whether any wires should be moved.
As I said earlier, you have received an answer to your question with a qualifying "if". No one can answer the question with any more certainty unless you can address the "if" in more detail.

You are most welcome.
On Saturday, March 5, 2016 at 8:41:02 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

It's not a service disconnect per code. Good reason too, it's not meant to be an easy, accessible means for anyone to disconnect the service.

As previously explained, the ground and the neutral are supposed to be connected together at the service disconnect. Exactly how they are connected may vary depending on the panel. Did you pull up the instructions for the specific panel?

Why do you think you need to move anything?

On 3/5/2016 9:42 AM, trader_4 wrote:

CY: No, didn't think of that.

On Sunday, March 6, 2016 at 12:52:59 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

From everything you've posted here about the situation at the panel, I see nothing that would have anything to do with that. It's all normal. You have the neutral and ground connected together at the panel. If there is an open ground on a circuit, it sounds like a problem on that circuit.
On 3/6/2016 1:14 PM, trader_4 wrote:

some day to test a couple other outlets, see if the open ground is just in the one branch circuit.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

connection between neutral and ground. Y&our ground wire is loose, disconnected, or broken on the circuit to that outlet. NO chance moving the ground would solve that problem.
On 3/6/2016 6:43 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Seeing the ground bar not appear to connect to a ground wire... makes me wonder if the ground bar is isolated, and therefore not effective.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Sunday, March 6, 2016 at 8:14:52 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Reading through your description again, that's possible. From what you posted, the neutral is tied to earth ground at the panel, or appears to be anyway. The ground bar is a separate bar, but should be tied to the neutral bar. How that is done probably varies from panel to panel and it's optional, because in a subpanel, they are kept separate.
On Sat, 5 Mar 2016 08:41:01 -0500, Stormin Mormon

It is not a "sevice disconnect" as defined by code.

Which is exactly as it should be. Don't screw with it.

On Sat, 5 Mar 2016 05:16:17 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

On Sat, 5 Mar 2016 07:46:11 -0500, Stormin Mormon

On 3/5/2016 12:37 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Thanks, Clare.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Hey, Opie (err..ah.., I mean OP),
Your question was answered many times, and then answered again after you posted more info about what you apparently incorrectly considered to be a "service disconnect" on the outside -- the meter box.
While I know you can be quite a character here sometimes, it is not really like you to not realize that your original question was already answered many times over.
Makes me wonder if you are having a bad day, or a bad week, there in Mayberry :-)
On 3/5/2016 2:40 PM, TomR wrote:

Lot of family dynamics going on. And none of it is at all good or pleasant. My life is making some major changes. Stress level is some where between high and extreme.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Sorry to hear that. Life can be tough sometimes.
On Fri, 4 Mar 2016 09:52:45 -0500, Stormin Mormon

The main breaker in the panel IS the main disconnect, except in some "redneck bungalow subdivisions" where there is a switch on the pole to disconnect the trailer from the grid .
On Friday, March 4, 2016 at 5:39:39 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Please replace "IS" with "may be".
On Fri, 4 Mar 2016 14:56:02 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

most likely the main disconnect. execept in some rare situations where there is a switch on the pole to disconnect the panel from the grid. The most likely exception would be where "central metering" is used.
On Friday, March 4, 2016 at 9:36:05 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

"Most likely" is just a stronger version of "may be", so I'll accept that.

Please change "execept" (sic) to "For example".
"Except" implies a singular instance, while "for example" indicates that there is more than one case that differs from the norm.
There could be a service disconnect external to a distribution panel and then a "main breaker" in the distribution panel itself.

See, there you go! :-) "most likely exception" leaves room for more than one exception.