OT: buying cars

Page 8 of 10
On 08/08/2015 02:32 PM, bob_villa wrote:

Even the Healey 3000 had vestigial rear seats. I even stuffed a person back there once.
I've had several hatchbacks where the rear seat got folded down into a cargo bay the first day and the seats were never seen again. Does that make them sports cars?
Then there was the Volvo White sports car I drove for a while. Two seats, 14 tons, and 10 wheels without the optional trailer :)

when he drove his. He actually spent 8 days at home one year - the rest of the time he was in his "sports car"
On 08/09/2015 08:01 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

No, I was a company driver and they didn't go for the condo models. If you whined they referred to another local company that was known for it's luxurious trucks -- and never getting the drivers home.
On 8/8/2015 3:23 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I looked at a Golf a couple weeks ago, but just don't really like the body style.
--
Maggie

On 8/8/2015 9:20 AM, notbob wrote:

Maybe in snowy conditions, but not in icy conditions. I know for a fact they aren't equal in icy conditions. At least when it comes to a FWD Chevy Equinox with "traction control" and a Saturn Vue with AWD.
On 08/08/2015 11:19 AM, Ron wrote:

I spend most of the winter avoiding sliding 4WD F250's. Some people think 4WD/AWD is a magic bullet that negates the laws of physics. My secret -- I run studs and most of them don't.
rbowman wrote:

Of course, even military combat tanks slides out of control on ice, LOL That's why most Jeeps are in the ditch going up to ski hills in winter. idiot vehicle operators think 4WD is invincible.
rbowman wrote:

Up here PU trucks carry couple sand bags in the box for winter driving...
On 08/08/2015 04:00 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Yeah, the stores sell 'traction sand' seasonally and the smarter people throw in a few bags of that, concrete blocks, or whatever junk is laying around.
The one mistake is thinking you're going to use 'traction sand' to spread out under your tires. It's slightly damp when the stores sell it so it just turns into a big, sandy, ice cube. If you're looking for traction material and not just weight buying a big sack of kitty litter works better.

back of a kickup TIE IT DOWN WELL. You do NOT want it coming through the back window of the cab if you get "out of shape".
On my 57 Fargo I bolted a roughly 3X4 foot 1/2 inch steel plate under the box behind the axle. That was just to get traction in the SUMMER!!!.
On my ranger it's got a heavy fiberglass cap and a box liner - I've had no traction issues so far with 205-70/15 graspics - should be better yet with 235-70/16 Hak R2s on all 4 corners.
On 08/09/2015 07:59 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I put a fiberglass cap on my F150 when I bought it in '86 and it's been accumulating crap ever since. No traction problems, but the acceleration with the old straight six ain't what it used to be.
On 08/08/2015 07:20 AM, notbob wrote:

After sorting out my style on my first FWD car, an Audi 100, I got to appreciate them in the snow and have had several since. The current Yaris also has traction/stability control linked in with the ABS. I push it to see what it will do and it's pretty impressive. If you get to crazy it does tend to park itself until you can drive like an adult. Ain't no donuts in a snowy parking lot happening on its watch. It doesn't like my dirt road technique either. I guess it's time to grow up.

A lotta ppl do not realize the importance of tires. I've seen studs, 4WD, etc, mentioned, but not tires. A true tale follows:
I was driving my mom's Toyota T100 back to CA from CO, in early Spring. A major snowfall had stopped ALL southbound traffic on 80 at Truckee and turned it back to Reno for the night. Next day I started out early and was allowed to pass cuz the T100 had 4WD and Michelin all season tires.
Damned if the next 40 miles of roadway were not extremely snowy and icy, despite it being a beautiful sun-shiny day. I could see green ice beneath the snow on the roadway, so started out carefully. Those Michelins never lost traction, even when I switch to 2WD for a short stretch. I even carefully applied the brakes on one icy section to see what would happen and the truck slowed and stopped as if it were on a dry roadbed. I slowly sped up. By mile 20 I was passing everything on the road, reaching a nerve shattering 50mph. Never slipped, slid, or lost traction for a second. To say I was astonished is an understatement.
Oh, one vehicle DID pass me. Another Toyota p/u. Didn't see what tires he had. ;)
nb

for next year. A hard tire to beat in ice and snow - even with studded tires. The Haks were THE tire in winter rallying back in the day.
On 08/08/2015 06:35 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I had a set studded Hakkapeliittas and really liked them. One thing the Finns know about is icy roads. I couldn't find any the last time around. Nokian (not Nokia) even makes studded bicycle tires for the hardcore.
On 8/8/2015 11:17 PM, rbowman wrote:

I put Nokian WRG3 on my car last year. Great tires. They have a real snow rating, yet are good for 149 mph in the summer.

Nokian just neans from Nokia - a town on the Nokianvirta River in the region of Pirkanmaa
notbob wrote:

(what kind of 4WD?) If you are a driver you can manage any car under any condition pretty well. We always laugh when watching Southerners driving in snow. They don't even seem to know which way to steer when car is going out of cotrol on slippery road. We're used to driving in COLD weather with snow and black ice. "Always drive for the road condition" I started driving when I was around in grade 6. Dad had small trucking co. At age 75, one accident, one crazy teen age girl ran a red light hitting my car's passenger side. If it were driver's side, I could've got killed. Since I have a habit of not trusting traffic lights blindly.
On 8/8/2015 3:38 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I'm with you, and don't trust those red lights. I'll always make sure the traffic is coming to a stop before I take off.
--
Maggie

Some areas around here you get rear ended if you aren't at least 3-4 through the red light. I have found that the guy behind me getting pissed enough to honk at me is a pretty indicator that the coast will be clear.
but what they conceal is vital.?