Home Depot rant

The lumber yard in my small town just went out of business and it will be missed. I needed some new interior hollow core doors that I normally would have bought at the lumber yard because their prices were always competitive, their service excellent and they delivered free of charge. Unfortunately, I had to look else where.

I ordered three doors on-line from Home Depot and had them shipped to the store that is about 5 miles away. The doors were about $5 more per door than the lumber yard charged. I elected not to have them shipped directly to my house because the freight charge was more than the cost of the doors! I will have to borrow or rent a truck to get them home from the store adding to my cost.

About two and a half weeks later I was contacted by the Home Depot store to let me know the doors were finally ready for pick up. I arrived at the store, arranged to rent their truck and moved the truck from Its' parking space to the door where I was to retrieve the doors and was shocked at what I saw!

The doors were sitting on one of their carts with absolutely no protective packaging what so ever. The edge of the veneer on all three was damaged, there were black marks that may or may not have sanded out before sanding through the veneer and there were gouges on two of the three that were presumably caused by sliding something across the doors. All in all, the doors were junk.

When I pointed this out the clerk asked, "Do you still want them?"

The last doors I got from the lumber yard, when delivered, had several layers of cardboard packaging that protected them during shipment. I'm surprised no one noticed the plume of smoke rising from my back yard when I disposed of them.

Another 15 or 20 minutes later I was given a refund for the order and a refund for the deposit on the truck rental. Now I'll have to order the doors from another location for an even higher price.

Rant over.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I stopped going to Home Depot many years ago. No people on the floor to help find things, poor after-purchase service (I bought a awamp cooler. Blower motor dies a few weeks later. They wanted me to uninstall it and bring it to them to replace motor. (I bought a new motor for far less than uninstalling and moving cooler at Lowes))

Anyhow. Now I go to Lowes for all but small hardware items (HD is a lot closer to me).

Reply to
KenK

When I went to my local Menards and ordered steel roofing panels and a ridge cap to be shipped from their main warehouse to my local store for pickup, they automatically added an "additional packaging" fee to the invoice. I raised holy hell. The manager's spiel was that the ordinary packaging they use when shipping these materials is inadequate and could result in damage. He was certain I wanted to ensure they came intact, thus I should be happy to pay extra for more sturdy packaging. My counterpoint, naturally, was that proper packaging for shipping is THEIR problem and THEIR cost to deal with, not mine. After all, if the merchandise arrived damaged, I would simply refuse it.

I wonder how many people fall for that shit.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

So, did you still have to pay for the additional packaging fee?

Reply to
Muggles

No, but after the yard manager was brought out, he had to authorize voiding the invoice, then issue and authorize a new invoice without the fee. Then he and I had to walk to the opposite end of the store to customer service, who had to void the old invoice, ring the new invoice, and collect my money. The number of employees whose time was wasted by this inconvenience was five: two guys at the order desk, the yard supervisor, the yard manager, and the customer service manager. I was smokin' mad. Although my time was wasted, that stupid ploy cost Menards plenty in wasted time and wages.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

Gordon Shumway posted for all of us...

Not if you aim right...

Reply to
Tekkie®

Well, I bet next time they'll think twice about charging you for packing fees.

Reply to
Muggles

Good for you. I'd have done the same thing.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway