OT: buying cars

I don't recall the exact numbers but the spread of the Jd powers "quality" ratings is something like 70 to 230. Sounds like a big spread. But it's per hundred cars. So for the ONE car YOU will buy the difference in "quality" between them is the difference of having perhaps only 0.7 problems in the first year versus having maybe 2.3 problems in the first year. And the "problems" being compared could be anything from the engine blew up to "I don't like the way the radio knob feels and the dealer can't fix it". The JD power numbers are nearly worthless for retail buyers. If, OTOH, lots of Fiat owners are actually finding that the engines are blowing up, that's a different story.

I wouldn't doubt it. Between 1972 and up till a few years ago I drove a lot of gvt fleet cars. There was a major change right around the late 70s where things went from me having a list of things for the shop to fix every time I sent a car in for it's scheduled service to the cars almost never needing anything fixed. It was pretty much across teh board, didn't much matter what make they were buying, GM, MoPar, AMC, Ford. By 1980 the old "here's a list of things to have the shop fix" was a thing of the past. And most of the stuff that did go wrong was really pretty minor, a lock motor would go bad or something like that OR rarely a major issue fixed for free like transmissions in Dodge Diesel 4x4s that couldn't take the torque of the engine. And that kind of stuff isn't going to show up in the JD Powers numbers that get all the airplay.

I'd say look at consumers reports info but it's often crap too but at least it tracks things for real life cars for several years. Unfortunately it suffers the same deficiency, now that everythihg is really quite good stuff that's on the lower end of "quite good" winds up with a black dot as if it's junk. Some of the cars CU rates are good are crap to actually live with and drive whereas some of the "bad" ones are quite nice to live with and drive.

I guess there's no perfect system.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Or do you mean teh bonnet?

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Most appliance warranties are along the lines of ... $200 appliance and they want $50 for a two year warranty, 25% of the purchase price for a lousy 2, maybe 3 years.

For a car it's .... $20000 car and they want $1500 for a 7 year warranty, 7.5% of the purchase price and for two to three times as long an extended warranty period.

that's why the only extended warranties I buy are on new cars. I've had 4 cars with extended warranties and on some I've recovered MORE in repair bills they paid than the warranty costs. On most I've recovered between 50 to 80% of what the warranty cost. I've got one that's got another 50,000 miles and 3.5 years to run. It cost me $1500 and it's already paid for over $1000 in repairs. ..

I can't argue with the notion that I'd be saving money by not buying them... but I think the freedom from worry about the repairs and the cost is worth the small monthly cost, esp if something were to break on a trip out of town. Plus, without the warranty I'd wind up fixing the stuff myself, this way I don't need to for the newer cars which leaves me time to fix the stuff myself on the old cars I have.

Here's another perspective.... If you could negotiate away the normal factory warranty, lets say it's 3 years, 36,000 miles, how much would you want the dealer to knock off the price of the car in exchange for "no warranty/as is" out the door for your new car? $1000, $2000, $3000?

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Another thought on the warranty issue.... ALWAYS shop around. The dealers push warranties THEY sell, which may be backed by the auto maker or may just be some third party warranty. In my experience the third party warranties the dealers push are ALWAYS way more expensive then what you can get by just buying a warranty yourself from a reputable company AFTER you have bought the car. The last two times I've bought from warrantydirect.com because they have had excellent prices AND excellent service. But I very strongly considered the Official Chrysler Extended warranty the last time because it was only slightly more expensive and seemed to offer just a little bit better coverage for small stuff. But definitely, shop around for warranty prices BEFORE you buy the car so you know what it will cost from a company you would be wiling to buy from. Then you can compare that to what the dealers "finance guy" will be trying to shove down your throat when you sign all the paperwork and he's trying to sell you more floor mats, a security alarm, paint protection, a maintained plan, and insurance on losing your keys. If you think he's offering a good extended warranty you can tell him you'll take it if he matches the price for the one you already have priced out. The last time I bought a car I thought the guys head was going to explode from all the "No, thanks, don't need that" I told him. When I refused the alarm and he acted like I must be crazy not to be worry about the car getting stolen. I told him "That's why I buy car insurance!" Then he gave up.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Exactly 10 Kia Souls today.

Where do you live that people want AWD?

Reply to
Ron

I'm a Subaru owner. Moderate climate but live on a hill and like to hunt. Been in many situations where I would have been stuck without AWD.

All Subaru's are AWD. On other brands it is an expensive option.

They maintain their value too.

Reply to
Frank

It's a blinkin' BMW for crying out loud. Of COURSE it's expensive to maintain. - and way to pricy for what it is to start with too.

Reply to
clare

You don't remember the pony, eh? Judging by the pony you would steer a REAL wide berth around the Hyundai, and the Kia too.

Judging by the Vega you would stay away from Chevy/GM too. (not a bad idea, by the way).

Reply to
clare

The American North East, The Canadian Maritimes, and Alberta and BC - for starters.

Reply to
clare

Not if you ever actually owned or worked on one.

Too bad Lucas never built Vaccums. But then again, they would likely be the only Lucas produvt that didn't suck -----.

People say the reason Brits drink warm beer is because they use Lucas refrigerators. This is not correct, by the way. Britts drink their beer at room temperature. Anyone who has spent any amount of time in Britain knows that is NOT warm!!. Perhaps because they use Lucas central heating plants???

Reply to
clare

Peace of mind is worth something but thr question is how much? . I just look at past history. The last three cars I've owned over 9 years were traded inside of the power train warranty and just a bit out of the entire warranty. I paid $250 for one brake job. The rest was tires and oil changes.

The 3/36 is really a crappy warranty. I have 5/100 powertrain and 5/60 for everything else.

Warranty companies are in business to make a profit. They take a little money from a lot of people and then give some back for repairs and keep the rest. Thank you for your contribution. It is a bit of a gamble.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If I ever dreamed about Lucas it'd be nightmare for sure, LOL!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Car like that should be leased, not purchased.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I owned a '75 Vega GT and never had a problem with it.

Reply to
Ron

My family always had Subaru or Acura/Honda. Wife thinks cars should all have AWD and snow tires in winter. In my mind Acura SH-AWD, Audi Quattro, Subaru symetrical AWD are best of bunch. Kia was making bicycles way back and first automobile maker in Korea. Hyundai learned ins and outs of car manufacturing from Mitsubishi until they started producing own bearings and piston rings.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Montana. Part of it is winter driving. The other part is this area is very outdoor recreation oriented and some of the popular trailheads are at the end of 10 or 15 miles of unmaintained forest service roads. 4WD pickups are popular too.

The joke is 4WD is what you use after you've gotten stuck in 2WD. I've gotten where I've needed to go with 2WD all my life. Or 1WD when you get down to it. I have a dual sport bike I use for gnarly stuff but I've managed to get standard street bikes into some strange places without destroying anything.

A lot of it's just psychological and a Subaru salesman can convince people AWD is safer and so forth. afaik, they're good cars anyway and that just gives them a little edge.

Reply to
rbowman

Alberta? Oh, you mean North Montana. Given Montana and Alberta's distaste for those eastern pols maybe we should secede together and form our own little country.

Reply to
rbowman

I just have FWD with electronic traction control but I mount studs all around Thanksgiving weekend. This valley normally doesn't get all that much snow but the temps hover around freezing, just enough to give you a nice coating of ice in the morning.

Reply to
rbowman

I don't know what my insurance man would do but this state is very casual. Even a quad with rudimentary lights is street legal. One of the oddities is there is a street license and an off road license and they don't overlap. For example my dual sport bike is street legal but in theory isn't legal for off road. If I wanted to ride trails I'd have to pony up for the off road sticker too, not that anybody runs around in the woods checking too often.

Reply to
rbowman

They weren't all that bad. Now the Chevette...

Reply to
rbowman