If OT, then sorry.. question about hauling stuff

If this is totally ignorant, apologies.. but who would a person call to haul off various materials? They're useless items.... busted up cement (not much of that), a dozen or so bricks, some landscaping stones that have mortar still on the sides (an old ring we had around a tree and removed), and a box of lava rocks. I've called a couple people, and nobody seems to know. Any suggestions? Thanks! lucy

Reply to
lucy

RBM, Thank you for your help.. they do this for a residence? Also.. how would I find a company like that in the phone book? Thank you, lucy

Reply to
lucy

Don't know where you live or what the rules are there. Here the local government garbage will haul away just about anything you can put into the wheeled trash can. A few rocks each week and pretty soon they are all gone. Even if they don't provide that level of service where you live they most likely have some place you drop stuff off.

I think you may find the suggested dumpster an expensive solution.

Have you looked in your local paper or the free throw-away papers in the handyman section of the classifieds? Also check the bulliten boards at your local grocery and some department stores (Wal-Mart always has one) Look for something like "odd jobs done" or hauling services". There is always someone that does this type of work. Be sure to get a firm price before they start work.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Look in the Yellow Pages under "Hauling". Or look in the classified section of your local newspaper.

Doug Miller

I just did this. Look under "RUBBISH"

Reply to
Kathy

Do you have a local weekly shoppers paper? Many have ads from local people that do that sort of thing. Just last week I saw a guy with a pickup truck that was painted with a sign "we haul anything". Ask around at the hardware store, the barber shop, coffee shop, bar, etc and perhaps someone knows who to call.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

suggestions?

That is what I have done in the past. One warning. In putting rocks, bricks or the like in they have to be buried, i.e., not visible and the can weight may have a limit. I made the mistake of putting the bricks on top and found them tossed out on the drive the next morning (twice).

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Thanks everyone! I'm going to try to look for someone who will haul off stuff, and under 'rubbish'. I'm sorry I forgot to mention it.. but I'm in Dallas TX, in city limits. Ugh.. lol lucy

Reply to
lucy

There's a guy I use here that I found through the weekly shopper paper.

His business card says "Haul Anything".

;-)

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

For small items you may be able to haul it yourself to any place asking for "clean fill". That is dirt, rocks, cement, etc. No garbage or bio-degradable. They want it to fill in land so they can build or pave on it.

Stretch

Reply to
stretch

Given the fact that I have a compact car and bicycle most of the time, "small items" is the operative phrase.

;-)

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

We have a metal scrap dealer around where I work. Classy guy that he is, his business card reads "if we can't truck it, f*ck it" One word if even in red.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That's just the thing.. we don't have a truck or a van. We both have small cars. lucy

Reply to
lucy

Call your city/county waste disposal dept. If they don't take it, they likely can tell you what to do with it. I have looked up "solid waste" or "trash" haulers in the yel pages. Our city incinerates all garbage, so they would do the same as yours if they saw it placed in trash. They pick up appliances, carpet, vegetative waste, etc., separately, if called. Recycle lots of stuff, even asphalt and concrete. I know people who sneak bricks and stone into the "garbage", but I won't name names :o)

Reply to
Norminn

In a place like Dallas, you should be able to find a guy with a truck, like a landscaper who would be happy to make a dump run for cash. Just look up and down your street, or at the local nursery.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Paint decorative patterns on the bricks. This transforms the bricks into artifacts instead of construction debris.

Reply to
Goedjn

In my neighborhood we just put a "Free!" sign on it and set it by the sidewalk in the front yard. It's gone in four hours.

You'd be amazed what you can get rid of that way.

(Does not work with kids or ex-wives.)

-Frank

Reply to
Frank J Warner

I had a freind who was named Frank too.

He set an old refrigerator out in the alley with a 'free' sign on it. No one would take it. Changed the sign to $20 & it was gone the next day.

Reply to
3rd eye