Can i ask here ?

Did'nt know where to post this,so i'm asking here. I have Verizon & there discontinue News readers. Is there a good free newsreader you can suggest ?

Reply to
desgnr

Doug Miller

news.eternal-september.org so long as you do not need binaries

Reply to
LouB

ditto. freenews aint bad but i have trouble posting at times

Reply to
Master Betty

aioe.org is another, and no binaries

Reply to
bud--

A newsreader is a program on your computer, so there's no way for an ISP to discontinue it. You must mean news SERVER. Some other posters have suggested alternative servers, such as aioe.org.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

As somebody else pointed out already. you mean "news server":

(free)

(10 Euros/year)

Each may carry newsgroups that the other doesn't. Neither carries binaries -- and if you don't know what they are it won't matter to you.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

LOL

Reply to
LouB

If you want binaries the only one I know of is

it is free but they have to have a one time fee of about 4 bucks to do a check to make sure you are 18 or over. Others will suggest non binary groups. You do know about search engines?

Reply to
joevan

Google 'Groups' works just fine for me, has for years. I have Verizon DSL, running an iMac with Snow Leopard OS and access Google via browser Safari, or Firefox. M$ 'Bing' browser is kind of neat, but I haven't tried it for newsgroup access yet. All the moaning and groaning about newsgroup access in this NG seems to me just some facet of Microsoft misery or maybe just bad information.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

"Bing" is not a browser. It is a search "engine"

Reply to
LouB

Nothing to do with Micro$oft: I don't use a Windozzze machine to access newsgroups. I will tolerate Google for old messages that are no longer on the news server to which I have access (eternal-september retains messages for 6 months, I think; news.individual.net for longer), but for current discussions I hate Google just as much as I hate accessing my emails via a Web browser. Newsreaders are the thing for reading newsgroup messages.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I'm also using Eternal September, and very pleased with it. Here is a URL for you:

Stormin Mormon

Oops...you're right.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

"desgnr" wrote in news:h7j7o4$snm$1 @adenine.netfront.net:

The astraweb newsserver wasn't yet mentioned. It is very good, has binaries as well, but it is not free. I paid $10.00 for the right to download 25GB of stuff (headers are free). There is as yet no time limit for the download. I have used about 1 GB in the past year.

Reply to
Han

If you want binaries, giganews.com for $2.99 a month

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You have to change the oil in them twice a year.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in news:Fd2dnSiXDcGaSQDXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

...which brings us back to the post of switching from synthetic back to conventional standard oil.

Reply to
Red Green

Just to point out that there is something wrong with the OP's question. Verizon has not provided any access to the alt hierarchy for about a year now; only access to the Big 8 hierarchies and the 0.verizon hierarchy. So how is the OP posting to ALT.home.repair if he/she has no usenet access other than Verizon?

Reply to
Marilyn & Bob

Han wrote in news:Xns9C79D271241E7ikkezelf@207.246.207.166:

You need to check out some of the alt.binaries.x's :-)

Reply to
Red Green