There wouldn't be much to read here if all quotes were disallowed.

worst offenders: Joat, Tom Watson, Charlie Self (I just noticed his "boring" quote on r.p.d.), and Larry Jaques. Forgive me for not including the remaining top offenders.

Why do you all feel compelled to embellish your own thoughts with quotes (often they are repeated for what seems like eternity , as a sig line)? Don't your own words offer enough wisdom to stand on their own?

Do you plaster bumper stickers all over your vehicles too? Does your license plate frame say, "If you can read this, you are too close"?

When you talk, do you quote the great philosophers to spice up your conversation with friends and family?

Just wondering...

(Sorry I have no memorable (or STUPID and LAME) quotes to furnish with this post.)

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Why do you feel compelled to post this? Nobody gives a shit that you're annoyed by signature lines. I used to think you were unfairly picked on around here, but posts like this are the equivalent of wearing a "Kick Me" sign.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

How did this post get past my kill file?

Reply to
Roger L

and thanks for the "kick", Todd... :)

you sound pretty easy to piss off...

(not that I give a sh*t)

dave

Todd Fatheree wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

do I care??

dave

Roger L wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I have found Tried and True varnish looks absolutely fabulous on cherry. You should try it sometime.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

Reply to
Paul Kierstead

so you wanted to be included in with TW, et al? done! :)

I haven't made anything from cherry yet, Paul. I use mostly oak. just finished an oak DVD storage cabinet. The good news is it holds all my DVD's. The bad news is if I buy more than 5 more, I'll be outta space again...sigh.

dave

Paul Kierstead wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

BTW, the miscreants should take a lesson from you, Paul. I wonder if anyone, including yourself knows what I'm referring to?

dave

Paul Kierstead wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Dunno, but you managed to get it past mine. I do wish that if my responses irk him and my signature line bores him that he would do the simple thing--kill file me. If there were a way I could do it for him, I'd gladly do so.

Charlie Self "The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in the exercise of his mind." Jacques Barzun

Reply to
Charlie Self

Nice. How about: "Those who aren't interested in learning about others are like animals." Onesmo Gabriel, Masai warrior attending school in Wisconsin

Or: "The whole problem with the world is that the fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, and the wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell

Or: "Never miss a good chance to shut up."

BAD

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Bay Area Dave wrote

[SNIPPED]

It looks like Homer is having his menstrual period again.

Reply to
Woodchuck Bill

Zeke Change com to net for e-mail

Reply to
Zeke

What I find interesting is your attempt to equate the practice of using a quote from a philosopher, an esteemed author or an otherwise honored individual to the practice of placing a bumper sticker on one's car.

Could it be Dave that this indicates your highest level of literary achievement and therefore you simply do not possess the ability to appreciate another's eloquent use of language skills as do the men you mentioned?

Reply to
mel

"mel" wrote in news:AHNtc.1439$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr24.news.prodigy.com:

He is just a trouble-making jerk!

Reply to
Woodchuck Bill

Reply to
Mark L.

I feel so fortunate to be included among so many so much more gifted than me, not to mention, thee.

I include the following as a form of thanks.

"I shall never be ashamed of citing a bad author if the line is good." Seneca

"I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversation." George Bernard Shaw

"The point of quotations is that one can use another's words to be insulting." Amanda Cross

"A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool." Joseph Roux

"I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound - if I can remember any of the damn things." Dorothy Parker

"I didn't really say everything I said." Yogi Berra

"Bay Area Dave Sucks." Tom Watson

Regards, Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

And, particularly in the regard of boy dave:

"Why don't they just take their ass-whipping and go home?" Charles Barkley

Regards, Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

Probably for the same reason that some people include an area of the country as part of their name.

Reply to
Leon

Off your med's again I see.

Bob S.