Wouldn't it be nice..

if OP's interacted with the responders to their threads, within a reasonable time frame, so that those who took the time to answer their question(s)(or posted an opinion that was requested) wouldn't feel they were wasting their time?

Seems to me that's just common decency. Wouldn't a day be about the right time frame to expect the OP to post either his general "thanks" or ask more questions, or debate some issues raised by the responders?

Or am I expecting too much?

Dave

Reply to
David

Probably...

Just look at it is a public service (or disservice if you give the wrong answer.) LOL

It would be nice though.

We all forget our manners sometimes -- usenet seems to me to be like driving an American freeway through a city. Fine till you make a mistake

-- then...

Now that you mention it I will take extra care -- I promise. :-)

Reply to
WillR

True.

I am guilty of that. However, some times it takes me days or more to get an opportunity to try out proposed solutions and then it seems kind of moot. I'm not sure how others read, but I only follow threads for a day or two, unless I flag them. Even then it's generally only for a week.

I resolve to do better.

_Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

Gee, David, it would be nice all right but there are a few of us who do not devote as much time to reading NGs as we do to woodworking. I frequently find that I have not used my computer for 3 - 4 days at a time. But I still appreciate most of the info I get from this group.

Thanks for your comments anyway,

Max D.

Reply to
Max

Can I get back to you on that Friday? :-)

Lee

Reply to
Lee DeRaud

David,

I agree and having been involved with this group for a few years - seldom do I answer (or ask) questions anymore that take more than a few lines for the newbie's in the group. If I know the name as a long time contributor and I have something to say that may be helpful - then I'll take the time.

I've found that people have forgotten their manners and saying "Thanks" doesn't cross their mind. As you've read already - they won't make the time but yet they have time to ask the question... How long does it take - perhaps a few seconds? It took one individual that replied, longer to explain why he doesn't. Brilliant...

Unfortunately, many others appear to have the same attitude. I know some individuals that used to write detailed explanations, maintain excellent web sites and help others do some research to help solve a problem and even send things to others free of charge - only to get dumped on later, or never get a "Thanks" for their efforts. If more people did, then perhaps others would be more willing to offer help.

As you noted... common decency doesn't live here anymore it seems and neither do those that used to be the masters of woodworking mentoring.

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

In the early days of usenet and its predecessors, such posting was considered a waste of bandwidth. If someone posted thanks, especially to each and every responder, he would get flamed.

I still occasionally see a question with "TIA" or "Thanks in advance" in it. I've even used it myself.

I'm not saying that explains it all, or even most. But it is a reason that you might not be aware of.

Reply to
lgb

This is the way I look at it. When I get several good responses I might respond to one or two for clarification, but the rest I will tend to send a "thank you" to everybody in one post. I assume each person sees it even though it is posted under just one person's response. I don't know of any other way to thank people without spamming the group. I just posted a question on using 0000 on poly. I really don't think everybody wants to see all my thank you's.

dwhite

Reply to
Dan White

Sure! I'll be right here...

Dave

Lee DeRaud wrote:

Reply to
David

Do you think a post would last 24 hours without going off topic? :-)

Reply to
no(SPAM)vasys

I felt guilty for forgetting to put "OT:" in the subject title! :)

Dave

no(SPAM)vasys wrote:

Reply to
David

I think most folks do respond, even if it's just a "thanks"..

As to how long? I check the wRECk once or twice a day when I'm in town, but I have friends that check newsgroups once a week or so, whether they need to or not.. same with email..

Hell, last thursday night, I sent my kid in WA. an email to let him know that we were leaving home Thursday night instead of Friday afternoon.. We got to his house Friday afternoon and he hadn't checked his email in 3 or 4 days.. lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I agree that we all don't check in here with the same frequency. OTOH, if I asked a question, I'd certainly check back soon to read the answer(s). Otherwise, it couldn't have been too important. When I answer someone's question, I'm under the impression that they really wanted someone's opinion or ideas to help them with a project or make a purchase. Like I said before, Mac, maybe I AM expecting too much!

When we converse, the listener makes "uh huh" noises from time to time, to show they are paying attention. It's impossible to know when someone is reading here, unless they post a reply.

:)

Dave

mac davis wrote:

Reply to
David

I don't know...give me a coupla days to think about it.

bill

Reply to
Bill Otten

That is nice to know you feel that way... but I think you are being unfair. Unfair to many. How can you paint with a brush as wide as that? I wasn't around when those 'masters' were here but I have some very decent exchanges with some pretty knowledgeable guys. I have received a lot of good advice, in many cases I didn't ask the questions, but good thoughts came out anyway. There is still some pretty good mentoring going on here. *I* think there are still some 'masters' here.

And now that YOU have established that I have no common decency, you have demonstrated that you know nothing about me. But I did learn all about you.

Reply to
Robatoy

Well you'd expect some response from them eventually, and I see there was one now in the thread that apparently motivated this comment. I'd rather see them try to answer someone else's question in return if there isn't really anything more to be said. I try to do that when I ask something.

It goes the other way too though, it kind of sucks when you post something and only one person bothers to reply, or no one at all. Someone posted a pretty cool on topic link and just got two people bitching at him for posting it wrong. A while back I posted about finishing my bench and got one response, and no answer to the question I asked about it. Sometimes that happens though, you can't get too worked up about it.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Or if people took the time to label OT posts with "OT" in the subject line?

Yeah, that would be nice... In fact, the phrase "common decency" springs to mind for some reason.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

David:

Knowing what I know now, yes.

By the way, get back to me on this as soon as possible.

Unisaw A-100

Reply to
Unisaw A-100

You're probably expecting too much. FWIW, I try to follow up any thread that I originate or post in at all, but it's the busy season at work right now, and sometimes I put in 14 hour days. When that happens, it's kind of hard to remember to follow every damn thing I ever looked at on Usenet. Common courtesy is great, but don't get too hung up on it if someone doesn't gush over a one line "Do A Google Search" reply. It could be that they've got a sick kid at home, or an eighty-hour workweek, or even got abducted by little green men. Hell, anything could have happened. Maybe they already found the answer, and they're busy working on that rush project they posted about.

The only way to keep the group healthy is to share what you can when you can, and let the little shit roll off you. It's nice to get validation for your response, sure- but if you don't, why loose any sleep over it? Look at it this way- it's going into the archives, and you could helping someone a dozen years from now, and maybe *they* are going to be up to whatever standards you expect from a usenet citizen. Lots of folks are lurkers- you're helping them too, even though they're too shy to jump right in and speak. Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

What most of the responders seem to be missing is a bit of perspective on this issue. Not ragging anyone, but there was a very good reason at one time:

Back in the "old days' of the Internet, and the BBS's and FidoNet before that, it was considered very bad manners to waste bandwidth by individually thanking those who responded ... thus the "TIA" at the end of many OP questions in those days.

Manners are dictated by the culture, and to NOT say "thank you" was the culture, and accepted good manners, of the computer savvy before many who expect to be thanked today could spell "computer".

But times do change ...

Reply to
Swingman