CH - Thank you: "If you want to go there, I wouldn't start from here"

Greetings and Felicitations O Great Ones,

With the help of the Group, I have upgraded my Central Heating (Baxi BBU, only timer originally).

Ed and Colin ? (who was amazed that we still use 1/2", 3/4" and 1" pipes and fittings) were particularly helpful and practical

Thank you one and all.

Now have DHW and three other zones, just have to wire in a new timer.

Baxi sent me a copy of the boiler manual, thanks to them.

However events have now conspired so that we are thinking of a new boiler. The service on our BBU revealed cracks in the burner thingy on the fire front and there is a lot of rust on the heat exchanger. "It could last a couple of years, it could go tomorrow". The room with the BBU is getting a new carpet, so it kind of makes sense to change the boiler now.

So now we are exploring the options of a new boiler.

"If you want to go there, I wouldn't start from here"

Thinking of a condensing boiler rather than BBU, but that would involve running new flow and return to the chimney breast where all the branches are located.

Thinking of locating boiler in garage, but then have problem of Feed & Expansion, and Open Safety Vent.

Could go to sealed system now but hadn't that option because BBU doesn't have overheat thermostat.

Are current BBUs efficient?

Any views?

Francis

Reply to
Francis

No. In fact, they need special dispensation to even be sold, as they don't meet even the current efficiency requirements, which are about to be seriously tightened up.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Looks like a new boiler, then.

Reading, and enjoying, the sealed system faq.

Francis

Reply to
Francis

You know it makes sense. ;-)