Is this true about HD ????

Page 14 of 15

wrote...

Gimme one of them thar beers.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

It is the point.

hour. No, it's better a portion of our society has the mentality not to work for minimum wages so they sponge off the rest of the taxpayers by collecting welfare. If they were told they have to do these jobs before they received all the freebies they get then we'd have people to do those jobs.

If, by some miracle, all "illegal" immigrants were stopped at border, or deported, you and/or your kids would have no choice but to take these farm jobs, eventually, unless you thing cucumbers are going to dance into baskets without help. THAT is the point here. Give most teens the choice of working in a nice air conditioned supermarket, or breaking their backs in a field, and I'm pretty sure they'll choose the supermarket (or mall, etc).

able to work but don't because the checks keep coming in. What if you told them they had to work the fields in order to get the handouts? They'd have no choice if the checks stopped. And no, I'm not talking about sick, handicapped, mentally ill, etc. I'm talking about able people who do nothing but milk the system.

Maybe.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Lots of IFs, assumptions, emotions and lack of supporting facts in the above post.
says...

You want supporting facts? Do you live anywhere near farms which use seasonal laborers? Stop by during the harvest season and ask the farmer or foreman if you can talk to some of the "American" kids from the surrounding school districts. You'll be lucky to find any.
I think you may be living in a squeaky clean world, and you've never actually seen how your food gets to the supermarket.

I don't know. Ain't nothin' but locals around here doing the detasselling of corn.

What about produce that can't be removed from the plant or the ground via machine? Who does all that work?

Largely LEGAL migrant workers whose work conditions are under the purview of the Department of Labor and federal regulations.

I wonder if people who don't like illegals really differentiate between legal and illegal, and view the entire group as "them damned immigrants".

Most do, some idiots don't. ALL of the Congressional debate, for instance, deals with illegal immigrants and what we should do about it.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

are important to America's society/economy.
MikeP wrote:

Important to an individual living and working in much of the American society and economy, but I am not all that sure it is very important to the American economy.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Illogical, but I'll play anyway. Let's say that by some miracle, all immigrants were infused with perfect English skills as they crossed the border. Since you've said that language is the key to better jobs, perhaps none of these people would accept farm jobs. Who do you think would fill the void?

Talk about illogical. First of all no one is suggesting that everyone will know upon arrival. That was never a requirement in any of the other great waves of immigration. But the expectation was that they would learn. Secondly "perhaps none of these would accept" farm jobs is a strawman of Kong-like proportions.

Let's not consider the strawman to be an evil thing in such a discussion. People here are suggesting that the reason immigrants dominate farm labor is because they don't speak English. It's not much of a stretch to ask "what if?" Have you ever listened to, or read transcripts of Supreme Court proceedings, particularly when they involve sticky legal issues that nobody's been able to agree on, like the 2nd amendment? These proceedings are sometimes nothing BUT strawman arguments.

scenarios that fit whatever our preconceived notions are. I will say that you are right, and admit that immigrants will no longer pick vegetables if you will admit that the wages associated with it will go up to where American kids will want to do the work. Both are at least as likel.

Congressional debate included, writings of learned scholars, etc.

I suppose wages might go up, although the subsequent chain of events would be interesting, to say the least. I'm referring to the ripple effect in terms of food prices. People who don't allow for this possibility are usually those who think grocers have enormous profit margins and have plenty of room to absorb price swings.