Is this true about Home Depot all inside signs had to have the Spanish equivalent ????

I have been in Mexico and when asked where I was from naively replied "America". I was told in no uncertain terms that the US did not own the word America and that they too were Americans. Then I realized how parochial and narrow minded I had been. I have not made that mistake since, thanks to my friends south of the border.

Reply to
Spike2

You are incorrect, and I expect that you will remain so for the rest of your natural life.

Using "American" as a lazy substitute for "Citizen of the United States of America" is incorrect usage, regardless of how many times it is repeated. "American" does not denote any nationality. If you reside in the United States of America, you are an American by virtue of your location, not your nationality.

You are a very confused and angry person. Maybe try switching to the coffee in the green can as a start. :^O

Reply to
Mys Terry

According to Kurt Ullman :

That's more of an indictment of the US school system's ability to give high grades to functional illiterates.

The exact opposite.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

According to Kurt Ullman :

You're not very up on your religious history, are you?

Reply to
Chris Lewis

According to Joseph Meehan :

And will do my laundry for vastly less than minimum wage.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Doug Kanter

In the US? Find me one.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

According to Kurt Ullman :

What makes you think they _aren't_ willing to learn English?

Learning languages takes time.

They're just further back on the assimilation curve. Give them time.

Gee whiz guys, it's not as if the Irish, Italians and other waves of immigrants were able to instantly abandon their native language within days of arriving. They had stores they could go to and speak their own language, just as the latinos do now. They _still_ do.

On a per-capita basis, Canada takes in between 10 and 50 _times_ as many immigrants as the US does. 1 in five people in this country are immigrants - double the US rate. Accents abound.

Certainly, each wave or group has problems. But they go away.

_No_ big problems here.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

According to Kurt Ullman :

You've heard of Salem Mass, haven't you?

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Yep. I reiterate... in the US. The witch trials were 1600, LONG before 1776. But nice try...

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

And you don't think they should have a choice?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I suspect that in the area that was to become the US, that there were quite a number of other religions. I would guess that all Christian religions put together would not equal the number of native Americans who worshiped in other ways.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

According to Kurt Ullman :

Your first query didn't specify the US.

Your second iteration didn't specify _when_.

There have been LOTS of times and places where it was "my religion or ".

The fact that the US hasn't institutionalized religious bigotry since

1776 to _quite_ that level [+], doesn't mean it gets a free ticket to institutionalized language bigotry instead.

After all, institutionalized _race_ bigotry is something that the US was quite good at, and in some sense still is. And is most of what's at the root of this nonsense about language.

[+] Depending on your terms of reference. The US is the most overtly "religious state" in the developed world.
Reply to
Chris Lewis

Not if they want citizenship and no other group of legal immigrants is let in without sponsors or someone willing to foot the bill for them until they get set-up.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Actually no. And damn few people do. But we have current telephone tax to assure us of an historical occurrence.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

"Doug Kanter" wrote in news:rM9Zf.5071$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

How long *after the fact* did that occur? Do ya think Rickover's analysis had ANY meaning at the time the sinking occurred?

Maybe I should have said "Monday morning QBing". (but I did say "LATER-proven")

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in news:VRaZf.74504$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

You make a lot of ASSumptions.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I wonder if you've ever read anything about the political & personal chess game that was going on in Washington, in the time leading up to the war. Have you?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Why should it be that way?

As I understand it, the very group you are talking about has a higher percentage of employment than US citizens.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I see no valid arguments to support any other conclusion.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan