Is this true about HD ????

Page 13 of 15
Joey wrote:

I would agree. If someone who did not speak English and lived here, I would advise them to learn English as it would benefit them. I would not want to force them to do so, but I do believe it would be a good idea for them to decide to do so.
I also agree they should be here legally. However I believe that the problem is caused primarily by the US immigration laws.

I can understand your pride in the flag, after all I can comment publicly about my views on this subject in the US, something I would not be able to do everywhere, but why pride in not having any Spanish signs?
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Hopefully, we'll soon see a merger between Kroger and Blue Cross/Blue Shield, and all will be well in the farm business.
????????????????????
Its bad enough those bastards are here illegally, and now we have to cater to them because there to fuckin lazy to lean the language.
Tom

twfsa wrote:

"Its"..."there"..."to"..."lean"....the irony is too rich to pass up in this post.

Amen. Isn't the internet a terrific place to show off your language/spelling skills?
twfsa wrote:

At least it has been my experience that there are more US B* that foreign born ones. And they speak better than many US citizens.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Would you or your children be interested in picking vegetables for four or five bucks an hour? How about cleaning hotel rooms, or washing dishes in restaurant kitchens for minimum wage (if you're lucky)?

If they wouldn't learn English, I would not expect any more of them than that.
Steve
wrote

That's not the point! If we do what some would like, and eliminate or severely curtail the flow of "illegals" into this country, how do you think we'd replace the labor that they're willing to do? Or, to put it another way, your 16 year old kid says "Dad, I just got a job. I'll be bent over in the sun for 10 hours a day, swinging a very sharp knife at brocolli stems right near my ankles. The crops are sprayed with some sort of chemical a few days before they're picked, but the guy at the interview said the stuff was safe to touch. It's four bucks an hour".
You OK with this scenario?

This is BS. Four things would happen. For some of the jobs, Americans would fill them at the same wage. For others, Americans would fill them for more money (and the costs of those would go up). Some would be to a greater or lesser degree mechanized and the rest would disappear. Probably the latter would be mechanized.
When the illegal immigrants get their guest worker status (as proposed), and later GC/citizenship, it's very unlikely that they are going to stay in these jobs...

Mechanized: No. Some crops cannot be harvested by machines. If they could, John Deere would already have machines to do it, and farmers would be delighted to own them.
As far as costs rising, you've got that right. I suspect it would be disastrous, especially for people who already have a hard time affording decent food. How about $5.00 a pound for lettuce, instead of the usual $1.00 to $3.00? We're already in for a big surprise in the grocery business if oil keeps rising in price. Three years ago, freight rates were in the range of $1.25 to $1.50 per mile. Now, they're $1.75 to $2.75, depending on direction of travel and the availability of backhauls.

Not if there are methods to do so that are cheaper/more available. There is no incentive to look precisely because the other way is available. Illegal immigration that is studiously ignored by government essentially is a subsidy to farmers. It is Econ 101.

How about "Dogs and cats. Living together!" So it is okay if the illegal immigrants work at slave labor in areas that you suggested in your last post are chemically dangerous for artificially low wages so you can save a couple cents on lettuce.

Possible for some crops, but the fact remains that there *are* some which are simply too delicate to be managed with machinery.

I didn't say it was OK - I said it's a fact of life at the moment. If Mexicans didn't think this work was better than what's available to them at home, they wouldn't come here. As far as chemicals, that's a whole different topic we shouldn't get any deeper into. It's enough to say that the problem exists because people are paid to let it exist, and it would be a problem regardless of who was doing the vegetable picking.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Name one crop that can not be managed with machinery that is *required* for adequate human nutrition.
MikeP wrote:

So you want to limit it to only crops "required" for "adequate" human nutrition. Since there are so many alternatives, that would eliminate all foods. Maybe time for a reality check.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
says...

That bit about "required" is ridiculous. Do you think that if we suddenly had a huge shortage of farm laborers, people would suddenly be prepared to do without half the produce they're accustomed to eating?
But, I'll humor you anyway and give you a bit of an education, since you're obviously not a gardener. There's a large category of plants which continue producing after the first harvest. Tomatoes, cucumbers and summer squash are three examples. And, the parts we harvest are tender and can't be beat up by a machine. If you need to know more about this, go to Google, and search for the words "cooperative extension" along with the name of your state. Find a phone number and call them.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

"required" was not ridiculous and there will not be a sudden huge shortage of farm laborers. The crops that require hand labor would cost me more and my county hospital tax should go down. (do taxes ever go down?) And accustomed does not equal required.

My garden does require more hand labor than the acres of corn, cotton and grain grown within an hours drive.
says...

You can't compare our gardens to 1500 acres of green peppers.
Doug Kanter wrote:

You can't use a reaper or a combine in a garden.
--
All relevant people are pertinent.
All rude people are impertinent.