AArgh... neighbors

Page 7 of 10

Rod, I'd rather have people living near me like you than like VH. And I'm sure your neighbors appreciate your being alive and well rather than sitting in judgement on you. I hope you stay healthy and well, we need more gentle folks like you in our world :o)
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

When my neighbors were unable to care for their lawn, I did it for them without any discussion. That was a win-win situation.
expounded:

Well....sounds like it's all a matter of individual opinion, then.

Yes, it is. My opinion is I mind my own business (I'm not telling you to mind yours, I'm just saying what I feel, and how I live). I've said throughout this thread I wouldn't live in a managed area, that seems to drive some people to hysterics. So what? So I don't want to live like that. Others do. Whatever.
This all started over cutting down trees. I live in a semi-rural area, there just aren't bylaws against cutting down trees. Maybe someday there will be, when more and more people build up the area. I'll be gone to Maine by then.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
expounded:

Well, I think it's clear that if someone wants to cut down a tree because they want more sun, or they just hate raking, that's one thing. But, cutting one down because you THINK it's diseased, when in fact it's totally normal and healthy - that's just plain stupid. Since most people want to see some indication of expertise before they accept advise, I think it's a good idea for townships to offer that advise.
What if the permit is free, but requires a 5 minute look at the tree and a 5 minute talk with the property owner, just to be sure they're not cutting it down for stupid reasons? Would that be OK with you?

I guess I just don't see the need (and money has nothing to do with it). Then again, I wouldn't cut down a beautiful tree for no reason at all. And I wouldn't cut one down that a neighbor loved (we're pretty close around here, and many of us are gardeners, or they've become one living near one :o) ) I see lots being cleared around here and will notice a beautiful oak, and feel bad that it's going to be cut down to make way for some McMansion. Every once in awhile I'll notice a tree being left, purposely, it gives me hope someone who cares is moving onto that lot.
I think Presley has it right. If you live in a metropolitan area, where trees are a bonus, a premium, then rules are needed II guess) - there's a brawl going on right now in Boston over a guy who wants to take down a Norway Maple that the neighbors all love - but it's wreaking havoc with sewer lines, and he wants to redo his backyard and gain a parking space. I can't find the reference right now, but he's the former heahorticultural society or somesuch, he's hardly a slash and burn guy, and he wants to plant two trees to replace what he's removing. I think the outcome is in his favor, but it's escalated to the point where the Boston Globe is covering it. Ok, he's affecting the aesthetics of lots of people. But out here, we're not.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
expounded:

I understand "out here". A friend of mine has 200+ acres "out there". His nearest neighbor is 5 minutes away at walking speed. What he does with his trees affects (pretty much) nobody. But, in a neighborhood like mine, with 1/8 and 1/4 acre lots, that's not always the case.
I think part of the issue here, at least for me, is that I've had direct experience with a couple of neighbors who are intensely ignorant. I hate to see a tree or plant ruined out of ignorance.
expounded:

Hey...I just noticed...you said "McMansion". You don't like developers who build homes that are as ugly as a fat persons butt in hideous pink sweat pants two sizes too small? Would it please you to have some sort of architectural review process before someone could build one of those nasty homes and clear cut everything in sight?

Oh, I can't see controlling it any better than what some of the towns around here are doing, which is at least one acre zoning (although now some towns have gone to two) with limits on how much land can be eaten up by foundation - but that's control I really don't like. The teardowns are pretty sad, too, a perfectly lovely cape over on Powder Point in Duxbury (we call it Deluxebury) was moved to make room for a huge palace (that no doubt will block the view of someone who already lives there).....More people, more rules.
But see, one of my evil dreams is to buy a house on Main Street in Hingham, paint it orange and black, with a nice loud Harley parked in the tin shed out front - the apoplexic fits thrown would be worth the price of admission ;->
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Which boils down to one conclusion; you seem to be a rather angry, unhappy person. I truly feel for you.

No, Victoria, it's a joke. The one I feel sorry for are people like you and VH. You're the ones who are judgmental, humorless and very tough to live near. Stay in your protected little environment. It's safer for your fragile psyche.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

I thought you had me killfiled. You haven't a clue as to my psyche. You know nothing about me, and less than you think about yourself. I never claimed to be a perfect neighbor, but I don't bother anyone and nobody bothers me. Occasionally a cat will kill a fish, I get pissed off and let it go. There is nothing I can do.
How would you know I'm tough to live near? Do you live near me? I love the way people like you live two thousand miles from me, yet, you know all my inner workings, how I am to live near, etc. Must be a witch.

I've never used a killfile, Victoria, so I don't know where you got that idea. As for you being tough to live near, you sit in judgement on too much to be an easy neighbor. Or so it seems on usenet.
I love the way people like you pretend to be so high and mighty, and know all of my inner workings, too. I know myself as well las you know yourself, oh great learned one. You haven't a clue how I live my life, either.
I didn't think Buddhists were as judgemental as you are.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
expounded:

Let me guess, that was just another exercise in humor?

No, she's just full of herself and hasn't got a clue. I'd bet people run fast to get away from her "humor."
Could we stop the personal attacks, please? It wastes all of our time to wade through your personal posts hoping to get some gardening info. This is rec.gardens afterall. Play nice.
Suzy O
expounded:

expounded:

Wasn't referring to you especially, as the post(s) I quoted seems to involve 3 people (see below). And okay, how 'bout this instead, whoever the hell is bickering below, chill. Can't speak for anyone else, but I am not interested in wading thru this crap. At least change the header, eh?
Suzy O
expounded:

Buddhists are human beings at all different levels of knowing. Don't throw that crap in my face, Ann. I can sit here in judgment all day long, how that translates into being tough to live near is freakishly odd.
Then, you turn around and mirror exactly what I said to you! I'm bored.
Trees never wreak havoc on sewers. The piping has to be compromised first for tree roots to get in -- roots cannot break their way into sewers. More likely the dude wants the space for a parking space and is using the sewer/root argument to back up his claim, IMHO and just surmising.
Suzy O
expounded: