Neighbors Shed

The back of my neighbors' shed faces my backyard.

They told me they were going to re-side the entire house last October. It never happened.

In the meantime, the back side of the shed is starting to make my view look tacky. It needs paint, and a few boards need to be nailed back on.

Can I paint the back side of their shed, without their approval, or do I need to ask?

Thanks.

Corinne

Reply to
Corinne

Thanks Tom. I have not met them, but their windows face mine and they seem like decent folks.

Thought I would ask as others have told me to just do it.

I have never had problems with my neighbors, so this may definitely be the route to take.

Many thanks.

Cor> Ask first, Corr>

Reply to
Corinne

I know I'd be royally pissed if my neighbors took it upon themselves to "clean up" my property.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as they say.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Hmmm, Kinda insulting? I once parked my fifth wheel in my back yard when first moved into this house 11 years ago, guy behind one day came to me and asked me to give him some money so he can plant a tree or two to block the view of my trailer roof. I just shut the door in his face.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

The problem is that the neighbors don't see it. They have a fence built up to the side of the shed, and the shed makes up for the rest of the fence.

They cannot even see the back of the shed unless they come into my back yard. In fact, the overhang of the roof is on my property line, but that does not bother me.

Seems to me they should be the one cleaning up their property, but I know what you mean.

Reply to
Corinne

I am quite handy, and love to paint. It would be done first class, but then again, they would never see it. They have to enter my back yard to see it.

It really is an eyesore for me, not them.

Thanks.

Corinne

tom wrote:

Reply to
Corinne

LOL

This is impossible to do as they live in a tri-level, which overlooks my back yard. My home is a rambler.

But, they built a real nice roof type thing (cannot think of the name of it) next to their fence, and during the summer months, loads of green climbing plants cover it so it creates loads of privacy. It was built, I am sure, to give them some cover from the sun as they have a pool, and no trees in the backyard.

Kate

tom wrote:

Reply to
Corinne

That was a pretty critical piece of information to leave out until now, dont'cha think? You could have saved some spinning wheels if you had said this in the first place.

If it's a shared fence, you have every right to paint your side. Since the back of the shed is de facto part of your side of the fence, you have the right to paint it.

Reply to
Abe

yeah its a fence do as you want. i would still ask first perhaps take a photo since they cant see it from their side. neighbor hassles are best avoided

Reply to
hallerb

Corinne wrote in news:dsKjg.69$ snipped-for-privacy@news.sisna.com:

That's why around here, sheds are to be 4 feet inside the property line. Fences are at least 2 inches inside the line. You don't want to trespass, do you? ASK !!!

Reply to
Stephen King

Here code requires 10 feet inside line for practical reasons even brand new sheds are placed at or within a foot of the line.

Reply to
hallerb

I'm of the belief that what they don't know won't hurt them. You aren't planning on taking away from the value of their shed so just do it. They'll never know. I firmly believe it's much easier to get forgiveness than permission.

They have little motivation to paint back there. They can't see it and it would involve an invasion of your yard for them to access it. Avoid all the hassle and just take care of the problem with no fanfare.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

I agree. The OP could check with the municipal zoning officer and find out what the requirements are. In many places, you can't put a shed right at the property line. IMO, the neighbors are pretty much idiots who don't give a damn. Who else would skip making a property line fence complete and instead use a shed to complete it?

Then, it's up to the OP which route to go to solve the eyesore.

Reply to
trader4

Corrine should check zoning and city records, true. But, chances are pretty high the neighbors aren't the ones who actually put it there, and the shed may be grandfathered if it isn't even currently legal.

If all she wants is to be able to fix it up on her side, that's a perfectly viable option to be considered. Although it's a good idea to check with the town first to see what the zoning laws are (here, for example, fences in my town can go right on the property line), where the shed is exactly (possibly, it *is* a few inches on the neighbor's side of the line!), and what the legal status of the shed is. She should also be aware of any adverse possession possibilities. However, there are perfectly good reasons to just agree with the neighbor for a fix-up whatever the case. Clearly, from her posts, the shed itself doesn't bother her, it's its rundown appearance, and she's happy to just have it fixed up.

It's even possible the neighbor isn't aware of the appearance, and will jump to offer to have it fixed on their dime. BTDT. But she won't know until she makes a friendly approach to the neighbor about it.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

I'm much more willing to work with someone asking my permission, than I am when I'm confronted with a fait accompli. So I beg to differ.

A recipe for a rotten relationship with a neighbor.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

Neighbors can be interesting. We have one who put up a stockade fence

5 or 6 feet inside his property line last Spring. Later in the summer, I was out working in the yard, and he came by to complain that I wasn't maintaining the foliage that butts up against his fence - basically, raspberry bushes.

I pointed out that not only would I have been trespassing, but that I preferred that the raspberries be allowed to grow wild along the entire property line, as they provide a nice barrier and food source for the local animals.

His response? "Well, it's still your job to maintain them on your side of the fence." Either he had no idea where the property line was ( possible, considering how much of his own land he had effectively cut off ), or he considered maintenance of his property to be a community effort. ;-)

- Rich

Reply to
user

What work? Nobody needs to ask the owner for anything. He won't even know. I assume from the OP that they're planning to use the original color.

It sounds like they already lack much of a relationship. Fix what bothers you and don't worry about it. When is the owner coming into your yard to inspect the back of his shed? It sounds like it never happens.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN