How would my neighbors french drain affect my house?

Where I live we usually do not get water in the basement unless it rains constantly over a period of time. Its happened twice in the last

5 years, but fortunately I only got a inch of water in the corners of the basement, no real damage.

My next door neighbor recently had a french drain put in. I was just curious if this would affect my house at all? Would it help or hurt? I read that water usually goes to the point where its open, so I assume any water would go to my neighbors house first. But at the same time I wonder if it would make my house more susceptible to flooding. Does anyone here had any adverse affects from a neighbors french drain?

Reply to
Mikepier

Depends on distances, slope, drain outlet, etc. No one can give you any real advice without more particulars. And photos are worth a thousand words in these situations.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

In my neighborhood, the houses are close to each other, and the ground is fairly level, my house is slightly lower than my neighbors because my block has a slight pitch. But in the past when we got water, it seems we got the same amount of water.

Reply to
Mikepier

Mikepier wrote the following:

It depends upon how close the neighbor's french drain is to your house and where it drains. Any water that would run towards your property from his property would increase the volume affecting your house. With a french drain catching some of that water before it gets to your property would reduce the amount of water on your property, so yes, it would benefit you. If the drain empties onto your property, then it wouldn't be evenly distributed over your property as it would be without the drain, so it may increase the problem for you.

Reply to
willshak

I can't see any discharge pipe on my side of the house, so either he has it discharging on the other side of his house, or perhaps he piped it into the towns sewer system, which I know is illegal, but it would benefit both of us.

Reply to
Mikepier

I've got a french drain but no sump pump. My builder was cheap and probably had to follow local code but since pump was not needed, he did not put one in. I use the drain for air conditioner effluent in the summer and humidifier overflow in the winter.

In your case, be concerned about foundation settlement and it may be a good idea to add extra dirt around house to aid drainage.

Reply to
Frank

Can't you ask your neighbor where the drain goes to? You can do it under the guise of asking him how it is working because you are thinking of getting one around your house, or some excuse. I certainly hope you are on speaking terms with your nearest neighbor, the time may come when you will need some help and next-door neighbors are good for that if you are on friendly terms.

Reply to
hrhofmann

around here most french drain pumps into the downspout drain system assuming its output is far enough from home.....

ask the neighbor tell him your thinking of getting one too:)

Reply to
hallerb