AArgh... neighbors

I suppose if you had a 2nd potato available, after taking care of the car.... :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

"Rod & Betty Jo" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

well, that explains why you're barking... properly trained & sociallized dogs *don't* "just bark". a properly trained & sociallized dog may give a warning bark if a strange person enters the yard. it does not yap endlessly for 10 minutes or 10 hours. any owner who allows thier dog to do so should not be allowed to keep an animal until they learn how to properly train & sociallize said animal. that's pretty simple & generally doesn't require a great deal of work or even intelligence on the part of the owner.

no, the president barks excessively :) lee

Reply to
enigma

Rock on!

Reply to
Suzy O

Doug, Wish you were my neighbor!

Reply to
Suzy O

Rod & Betty Jo,

You think it's the dog's fault & not the owner for allowing the barking? If I misunderstood you, just ignore the rest of this.

If not, would you hold bratty little kids responsible or expect their parents to civilize them? There comes a time when we humans are all responsible for our actions, but I really don't think pets are able to reach that stage -- it's all about training & back on the owner's shoulders, IMHO.

Suzy O

Reply to
Suzy O

I'd like to think folks would consider consequences beyond legal.

Who knows, tho. Have someone do the survey and let us know.

Suzy O

Reply to
Suzy O

How 'bout noisy activities like lawn mowing, using the electric hedge trimmer, etc. when you know the inconsiderate a-holes are sleeping? Then when they freak out, tell them that's exactly how you feel when their dog goes on a bark-a-thon. Way more fun than killing the dog -- the idjit neighbors would probably just get another that might bark even more.

Suzy O

Reply to
Suzy O

How can you tell? I'm not playing, I really don't know.

Suzy O

Reply to
Suzy O

And the very best would be to have the dog owner's phone number and invite them to listen to the barkfest with you! If you can't dothat, then you'll have to roust them in person. Believe me, they'll dislike being disturbed by the barking moe than you. After a couple of times, the problem is usually history.

Suzy O

Reply to
Suzy O
10 minutes is way too much barking. Dogs usually bark for a reason. If it's something like another dog nearby or cat or noise, it's never 10 minutes. 10 minutes suggests a dog left out who has to bark that long to be let back in. Not a sign of a good pet owner.

Suzy O

Reply to
Suzy O

I wish.

Suzy O

Reply to
Suzy O

Trees never wreak havoc on sewers. The piping has to be compromised first for tree roots to get in -- roots cannot break their way into sewers. More likely the dude wants the space for a parking space and is using the sewer/root argument to back up his claim, IMHO and just surmising.

Suzy O

Reply to
Suzy O

Could we stop the personal attacks, please? It wastes all of our time to wade through your personal posts hoping to get some gardening info. This is rec.gardens afterall. Play nice.

Suzy O

Reply to
Suzy O

In older houses (like mine) many sewers are plumbed with 2ft clay tiles, one end has a bell shape and the male end fits in the bell.....tree roots can readily penetrate this type of drain line.....luckily the neighbors Popular tree decided to croak and no longer plugs my line annually although said tree just dropped a rather large branch on another neighbors roof (Big tree)......the sweet lady whom originally planted the trees (since deceased) in 1966 had not idea such little twigs could get so big....Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo

You wish what?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Since your message seems to be directed to me from the attributions, I would appreciate it if you could point out the part where I made a personal attack in the message text.

Reply to
Vox Humana

What you said regarding backyard junkyard operations ...... " issue injunctions to force people to obey the law. That gives the cops the ability to take them away in handcuffs."

Reply to
Suzy O

Wasn't referring to you especially, as the post(s) I quoted seems to involve

3 people (see below). And okay, how 'bout this instead, whoever the hell is bickering below, chill. Can't speak for anyone else, but I am not interested in wading thru this crap. At least change the header, eh?

Suzy O

Reply to
Suzy O

Yes, sewer piping has to be compromised for tree roots to get in. The City of Durham, NC has some interesting info and offers another solution besides snaking or augering the roots out: "Tree roots are opportunistic. While they will not crack a sound sewer service or water line, they will exploit cracks or failures in the lines. The best defense against having tree roots in lines is to make sure that your lines are in good condition and that they're not cracked. If you suspect that tree roots are growing into your sewer line, you can have the roots cut out using a process called "rodding". You can also flush Copper Sulfate down the toilet two to three times per year to prevent roots from growing into sewer lines. Copper Sulfate is an inexpensive chemical that can be purchased at most hardware stores."

BTW, I've heard that copper sulfate is quite effective.

Reply to
Suzy O

Oh...OK. I wanted to be sure, because wishing won't make it happen. Find out who your town justice is and try to set up a brief meeting. Sometimes those judges think they can only be seen in the courtroom, on their thrones, but there are some who'll talk with you outside of that setting and tell you how to proceed, in order to get a neighborhood bonehead INTO the courtroom.

Reply to
Doug Kanter