All my edible's are dying

Evening Ladies and Gent's

This year I have dicided to get myself a greenhouse and grow som tomatoe's etc...

Everything is working great untill the plants started fruiting, I go some nice tomatoes comming thru. I have started to know little blac speckles forming on the bottom of my tomatoes, and then they ar turning bad and mushy, Can anyone suggest something for me to try?

Also my Pumpin's,marrow's and butternut squash had nice big flowers then the big flower heads are dying and snapping completly off th stalks,

any help on this matter would be great, this is really starting t annoy me, They all have lived and grew nicely in my greenhouse, for last fe months,

Regards Richar

-- Anything_exotic

Reply to
Anything_exotic

Sounds like a fungal problem. How humid is it in the greenhouse? Is it getting plenty of air flow?

Reply to
Omelet

That would be a good chance but there may be more than one problem, hard to say without seeing.

Also how would the curcurbits get pollinated? Can bees get into the greenhouse? Are you doing it by hand?

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Could be blossom end rot, which is a problem of low calcium availability in the fruit.

(/quote from

rot is induced when demand for calcium exceeds supply. This may result from low calcium levels or high amounts of competitive cations in the soil, drought stress, or excessive soil moisture fluctuations which reduce uptake and movement of calcium into the plant, or rapid, vegetative growth due to excessive nitrogen fertilization.

Management

  1. Maintain the soil pH around 6.5. Liming will supply calcium and will increase the ratio of calcium ions to other competitive ions in the soil.
  2. Use nitrate nitrogen as the fertilizer nitrogen source. Ammoniacal nitrogen may increase blossom-end rot as excess ammonium ions reduce calcium uptake. Avoid over-fertilization as side dressings during early fruiting, especially with ammoniacal forms of nitrogen.
  3. Avoid drought stress and wide fluctuations in soil moisture by using mulches and/or irrigation. Plants generally need about one inch of moisture per week from rain or irrigation for proper growth and development.
  4. Foliar applications of calcium, which are often advocated, are of little value because of poor absorption and movement to fruit where it is needed.

(end quote)

The first thing I would suspect is a lack of pollination. Do bees have access to the greenhouse? If not, then you will have to hand pollinate the squash.

They could also be suffering something like blossom end rot, or otherwise aborting fruit due to nutrient or temperature stress. How hot does it get in the greenhouse during the day?

(Hope I have caught all the typos, as I have injured some fingers on my left hand, and I touch type...)

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

I'm replying to this post with my tomato problem since I'm getting an error message trying to post a new message!

Two of my tomato plants suddenly went into total wilt. I've never seen this type of wilting problem. Last year in a different spot I had some wilting disease that started at the bottom of the plant and they responded a bit to extra watering, for a while, before they expired. These tomatoes are wilted top to bottom, no leaf discoloring. I'd appreciate any help identifying this problem and either a cure or future prevention. This is only the second year of planting tomatoes in this area and so far the other plants near these two affected ones are doing fine. I'm getting a lot of strange things going on in the garden this year - plants that don't look healthy, black spotting on a brand new, expensive hydrangea and almost overnight major increase in black spotting on all my roses, other perennials that just don't look right etc. I'm an organic gardener, so any help in that direction would be most appreciated.

Thanks! June

Reply to
June

sometime in the recent past Anything_exotic posted this:

I have a small cold frame with some veggies in it. What I notice is that it has the appearance of high humidity, but the soil can still be relatively dry. As a result, it gets watered less than the outside garden.

Not a solution, just a suggestion.

Water - not enough and you're gonna die - too much and you're gonna die too! It's a balancing act.

Wilson

Reply to
Wilson

With regards to the tomatoes, that sounds like an insect or insect borne disease. My wife, who walked in and out of the room just now said "...probably insect, just for the speed of it." and, "What does total wilt look like?"

Rodale's Color Handbook of Garden Insects lists potato stalk borer, potato tuberworm, cutworms and crickets as affecting stems and branches (and by implication, the whole system depending on where they are in or on the plant.)

The rest seems environmental.

Where are you?

What kind of rains are you getting?

How overcast has it been?

What temperatures have you been getting? What kind of humidity?

How much air can get in around the affected plants?

How much air can you get in around the affected plants?

And responding to your comment about strange things.

I think we're past the point where we can expect things to behave normally. --I've been observing particularly heavy fruit and seedset on trees and weeds these past few years, as if the plant kingdom knows something we don't.

Reply to
phorbin

Ok Ladies and Gent's Thanks for all your replys, I have notced recently that my greenhous is always soaking, so maybe a humidiy problem, how would I solve this? leave the door open all day? I recently wrapped bubble wrap around my greenhouse, (somebody said t stop direct rays burning leaves etc..) I dont know I am new to all thi

-- Anything_exotic

Reply to
Anything_exotic

OK, I don't run a greenhouse, but um, wrapping it in bubble wrap to prevent burning plants.. no.

There are things for you greenies that are called sunshade, what they look like is a huge sheet of screened netting. Comes in different weights to reduce different amounts of sun.

Take the bubble wrap off, it just ain't no good for ya. I don't see that that alone would cause all your grief, but it's a step in the right direction to put some sunshade over the greenhouse instead of it.

Cheers

Reply to
gonzo

My greenhouse was always sopping too, and I've had problems with tomato plants wilting. Sinice I opened all the windows things seem to have gotten better. There are some blossoms, but no fruit yet. The plants seem healthier, though.

Reply to
www.locoworks.com

Nothing says "mold", like warm and damp. Give the greenhouse some ventillation during the day.

Reply to
Billy

When I said total wilt I meant that plant leaves are wilted top to bottom. Some wilting diseases will only show wilt starting at the base and working up and that's gradual and in the beginning responds a bit to watering. The one thing I haven't checked for is cut worm damage, because I always put sticks around the stem to prevent that, and I also have them mulched in a cone shape, so it didn't seem like that would be the problem. I haver over 20 tomatoes planted and only those two next to each other are showing this problem. There are many more next to them in the same row and one row beneath as well as other areas of the garden and they're not showing this problem. I looked up tomato diseases on the Internet but couldn't find any pictures of a plant with this total wilting which came on within about

24 hours. I will check them out later to see if somehow a cut worm got them. At this point, I hope it's that instead of some other disease that might get the rest of them! We haven't have a lot of rain this season; but we haven't had drought either. We probably get a good rain once a week or so and none of the tomatoes, which I planted early, have shown any sign of lack of water. It's probably been hotter than normal for these western NC mountains - lots of mid and high 80''s days, even a couple of 90 degree days the past two weeks.

Regards, June

Reply to
June

sometime in the recent past gonzo posted this:

I've used the black weed barrier material as a shade on the greenhouse too, when I've moved plants from in the house (poor light) into full sun. Otherwise the leaves will burn (turn white,) but that's usually temporary, but disconcerting none the less when your lush plant that was trying to scrounge up sunlight now has more than it can stand.

Professionals used a lime white-wash to diffuse the light, but I think that's another issue.

Certainly open it up to air. Also a bit of a fan will dry things and the movement will cause stalks to thicken. Good luck.

Reply to
Wilson

On a wild thought, chemical attack?

Could some animal have peed on them?

Reply to
phorbin

Reply to
Steve Peek

Around here all such animals are in Parliament. Any of them been to visit?

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Not yet, We keep those animals in Ottawa much of the year.

They'll be on the barbeque/garden circuit sometime in the next week or so.

I don't know about NC though.

Reply to
phorbin

I checked those wilted tomatoes and there's no cut worm damage. It can't be chemical attack because I don't use chemicals and our house is in the middle of 11 acres with nothing near us that could do that. The tomatoes are in cages and growing in stone terraces that are not accessible to critters. One of the wilted tomatoes is a Big boy and the other one is Whopper. The heirlooms like Brandywine which are right next to them, so far are fine. I think there may be some kind of pathogen in the soil since I'm not having, nor have had any problems in any other areas, other than the terraces; and a lot of the extra soil in those terraces was brought in two years ago when the terraces were built. My plan is, in the fall when the current crops are harvested and the plant are pulled out, to wet down those areas and put down clear plastic and leave it down for several weeks and hope the heat will kill whatever it is in the soil that was causing these wilting diseases.

Regards, June

Reply to
June

Possibly some sort of tunneling animal? I have one that is doing the same thing. I haven't pulled it up yet to see what is going on. I need to do that soon.

Reply to
The Cook

Do you water with a hose? Is it possible the tomatoes got the first blast from a hose-full of water that had been sitting in the sun? That can easily get hot enough to wilt/kill plants, even when the weather is mild.

Reply to
tuckermor