City bans fake grass

Because of lead and cancer-causing ingredients. But only in front yards.

"[GLENDALE, Calif] The city of Glendale is imposing a ban on artificial grass. Notices are going out to homeowners whose front yards are covered in turf."

HeyBub

Right. You can't get cancer from eating turf in the back yard.

Reply to
krw

DAMN! All those idiots grazing on that fake grass and getting lead poisioning and cancer have ruined it for the rest of us. Now we will be force to polute the air and wake our neighbors up at 5am on Saturday with our lawn mowers.

Stupid is as Stupid does and clearly Glendale is stupid.

Reply to
BobR

Is that a question or are you stating a fact. You can't get cancer from eating turf in the back yard?

Reply to
joevan

ote:

Did you know that the word "gullible" isn't in the dictionary?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

We had the same thing in one of our communities, one that also makes it illegal to water your grass more than once a week.

Reply to
gfretwell

BobR wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@w1g2000vba.googlegroups.com:

Idiots. Everybody knows you SMOKE grass, not EAT it.

Just call yourself a Dutch-style "coffee" house, post a Prop 65 warning, and you're good to go.

Reply to
Tegger

Not if the back yard is in the shade. You need sunlight to bring the cancer to the surface of the artificial fibers - without it the grass just passes harmlessly through the digestive system.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Oh, I think it is. Let me check...

Reply to
micky

ote:

You ever walk around barefoot on fake grass? It's way hotter than real grass. Have you ever taken a sliding tackle on fake grass? You get bad rug burn. UV eats plastic, even with UV stabilizers. The advantage - the thinking - is the same one that over-leveraging brought to the real estate market.

It's stupid to try to make every property look like Pebble Beach golf course, and particularly in climates where the local conditions are not conducive. It's a waste of money to water and fertilize it, and it's even a bigger waste to cover a property in fake grass. It's just more delayed pollution, and it's pissing uphill.

Fake grass is intended for lazy people who've bought into some mythical ideal of what a property should look like. You never see a fat person pushing a reel mower around.

The stuff should be banned, and not just for the reasons that the article cited.

RicodJour

Okay, I'll play. Why should it be banned?

Reply to
HeyBub

***Four cheers!

Both the college and the high school playing fields have been converted to this awful stuff. I haven't asked the relevant departments why they did it, but I have a notion that it might be to

-- in their "minds" - to conserve water and low costs. Water is very expensive in this basically desert area, even though it is a beach city. (See "Chinatown".

But the downsides of fake grass, as well outlined above by RicodJour, should have outweighed the water factor, if the "minds" had sought technical/professional advice on those very downsides.

Wonder if there was some crony contracting going on?

Now our kids are stuck with this )*&&^%$.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Typical lib. Ban everything you don't agree with and force everyone to live the way you do. Here's a clue, if you don't like artificial turn, don't buy it. And don't go taking a sliding tackle on folks lawns that do have it. And if it upsets you so much, then just stay the hell away from homes owned by people who have it. Talk about, big govt run amuck......

Reply to
trader4

Maybe you should look into seashore paspalum (grass).It thrives on sea water or brackish water from a shallow well. The advantage is the salt water kills most weeds.

My yard is, whatever comes up. I over seeded it a few times with bahia and that is the predominate turf but it goes dormant in the dry season and the mexican heather and other things people call weeds take over. When you mow it, it is still green.

Reply to
gfretwell

Yes, for the ignoramus liberals who want to force their choices on all of us.

Of course not, why confuse yourself with the facts. Facts like the Dallas Cowboys stadium uses it.

but I have a notion that it might be to

The fact that you think that was well outlined, speaks volumes. His sole point was that if you take a sliding tackle on it, you're gonna get rug burn. Of course, that's dismissed by the fact that many athletic fields are using it and somehow I suspect they know a lot more about it than you and Rico. And it's dismissed by the fact that I suspect most people who choose to install it on their front lawns are not playing tackle football on it.

Why is it that guys like you have such a problem with leaving people free to make their own choices? I can tell you. It's because you libs have a superiority complex, think that only you know what is best for everyone else, and everyone else is too stupid to make their own choices.

And above you admit you know nothing about the subject.

How exactly are your kids stuck with a private homeowner installing it on their lawn? Idiot.

Reply to
trader4

Do you have any good things to say about artificial grass?

In future you can simplify your replies and just write, "Typical lib" for anyone you disagree with. It'll save ever so much time and there will be no noticeable difference in the amount of thought you gave to your response. :)~

RicodJour

re: "I haven't asked the relevant departments why they did it"

Perhaps you should.

Have you ever seen a real grass field after a football, soccer or similar activity has taken place during/after a soaking rain?

I have seen real grass fields destroyed in a matter of hours, with thousands of dollars worth of maintenance required to fix them.

Besides the cost to repair the fields, there are often times when games are cancelled either because the fields have already have been damaged or games are cancelled *prior* to the fields being destroyed because they are too wet.

I live in a school district with limited green space and late/wet springs. The fields are used by both the District's athletic department and the town's youth leagues. When one or more field is either too wet or too damaged to be playable, it has a cascading effect that can last months as schedules are rearranged. Taken to the worst extremes, it can impact a student's chances for scholarships if a season is not completed or not completed within the Sectional guidelines. i.e. "That game was moved to a field that was not certified by the Sectional committee, therefore the stats do not count."

My son and daughter just participated in what was supposed to be a 2 day Ultimate tournament (essentially Frisbee football) at a local university. Thousands of players from across the state. It rained for a few days prior to the tournament and by the end of the first day every soccer field and open grass area that had been used as an Ultimate field was ankle deep in mud. Even though each team had paid roughly $500 to help offset the cost of field maintenance, the university cancelled the 2nd day of the tournament because of the field conditions. I'll be surprised if any soccer games or practices are played on any grass field at that college before next spring. The only playable fields they have left are the few turf fields within the stadiums.

We have been asking for turf fields at our High School for years and we finally got them installed as part of a multi-million dollar capital improvement project.

The one town-owned green space that has turf fields was filled with young spoccer players last night, in weather conditions that prevented them from playing/practicing on grass.

Perhaps that is why both the college and the high school playing fields in your area have been converted to turf.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It is a good solution for people who want their yard to look like green carpet, put in green carpet. There is less water use and less pollution from pesticides and fertilizer. A better option is a natural yard that does not require watering and chemicals but that is not what a lot of people want. If they want carpet, let them have carpet. It is better than pumping a million gallons of drinking water a year out in the yard.

Reply to
gfretwell

Seems to be the typical response of a lot of people these days, if I don't like something nobody should like it and the government should ban it.

Reply to
BobR

I didn't install it in my front yard even though my wife wanted me to but I did install it in the backyard many years ago. I put it down as the playgroud area in the backyard with a swing set, slide, and other playground equipment for my daughter and the neighbor kids. They LOVED it because they could play back there anytime even after heavy rains without getting all muddy. Yes, it would sometimes get hotter than regular grass but the kids had their own solution for that which usually included the sprinkler. It was also put down over a sand and newspaper base that was much softer than the regular turf base so a lot less banged up heads and such. I eventually pulled it up when we put in the pool. Installed it over the deck which proved to be both safer since the deck was very slippery when wet and prolonged the life of the deck surface.

Which is really funny when you consider the fact that they want to turn it over to a bunch of dumb burro-craps to run everything.

Reply to
BobR