WOT: Gun Buy Outs

That's right up there with Santa and the tooth fairy.

Reply to
Larry W

For screwing up the intent of their program. I'm sure they could have come up with some reason. Would it have held up in court? Probably not btu the guy would have been prevented from buying any of the firearms, would have spent some time in jail, most likely incurred the expense of a lawyer and spent a day in court The arresting officer would have gotten overtime for his court appearance.

Reply to
Nova

I used to teach college level courses inside maximum security prisons... While many of the violent inmates were under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol during the commission of their crime(s), some were simply deranged. Reasoning works with neither and an armed civilian could very well have been spared their life or physical harm if they'd been armed... the inmates agreed with me on that! They don't want to be shot any more than "normal" people do... which is why simply displaying a firearm often ends the incident.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Amazing how many ppl fail to understand this basic concept.

I moved here to CO from CA and was shocked to discover that, based on my sterling record, the state CANNOT refuse to issue me a ccw. I don't have one, but talk about a change of political climate. Wow! 8|

nb

Reply to
notbob

That must have been very interesting.

Certainly gives you a perspective, most of us, including me, don't have.

I don't have a problem with someone carrying a sidearm, IF, a big IF, they have received proper training, which includes but is not limited to practice range time, updated on a regular basis.

Here in California, every one in law enforcement, who carries a sidearm, has to qualify on the range every 30 days.

I doubt most amateur gun owners could meet that standard.

(SFWIW, I got a lot of lead resource for a 20,000 lb ballast for a sailboat I built from those range pits.)

(Today, even with the HazMat experience I had, couldn't do it. EPA has really clamped down)

I sure most other states have similar training programs in place.

It's the "fruit cakes" that concern me, not the pros.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On Mon, 11 May 2009 21:52:29 -0600, Mark & Juanita wrote (in article ):

"When seconds count, the cops are only minutes away"...

-BR

Reply to
Bruce

Bruce wrote in news:4a0a1500$0$48220$ snipped-for-privacy@news.qwest.net:

Or... The reason I carry a gun is because a cop is too heavy.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

Few of the LEOs I know could meet that frequency standard. LEOs as a class aren't necessarily into guns, it's just a tool of their trade. Along that line of thinking, a criminal justice professor associate of mine refers to rank and file LEOs as "trade unionists" and the non-union LEOs as "politicians." A bit crass perhaps, but upon reflection it's a pretty good generalization.

As research I went through about 100 hours of armed guard training. I was looking at the organizational issues surrounding the industry.... I consistently out shot and scored higher on the exams than all the folks pursuing it as a vocation. Quite frankly, I'd be afraid to hold that job if my skill level was a low as many of them... but the shooting standards were the same as a typical LEO was required to meet!

I do have grave concerns about denying people the means to defend themselves and their families by "pricing them out of the market." This via expensive mandatory training, mandatory "technology," and punitive licensing fees and processes. The people most likely to need the defensive weapons are those least likely to be able to afford the standards demanded by legislative efforts. Victim disarmament is also class warfare... People like Schumer and Kennedy have armed bodyguards but the lower income folks they represent apparently aren't worth having alive based on the pols efforts to disarm the populace.

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

I am so stealing that.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Please provide a link pointing to any functional firearm that is selling for less than $100.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Mark & Juanita wrote in news:WMudnQlL3ZoOp5fXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

DAGS-A quote from an article found in several places... "Bryco semiautomatics, which can be had in matte black or shiny nickel finish, retail for less than $100 new, and for as little as $55 used."

Larry

Reply to
Larry

Mark & Juanita wrote in news:WMudnQ5L3Zqxp5fXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

Be my guest. Not the original author of that nor do I know who is. Just seen it several places. It is rather appropriate though...

Larry

Reply to
Larry

Did anyone say it had to be functional?

Reply to
LD

Guess that Californians should have some sense of pride in the training our law enforcement receives.

Ouch.

The prison guards have a very strong union here in California.

I don't know if they are required to have the same firearms training as street officers.

That's the old "I can afford the house but not the maintenance" issue.

On a broader perspective, why do they need the firearms in the first place.

If you want to drive a car, you need a driver's license, which mayor may not require an investment in training.

I don't necessarily accept the idea owning a firearm for protection is needed.

Public officials unfortunately have a different set of needs from the general population.

Other than assault rifles, I've seen no "efforts to disarm the populace", as you call it.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

... snip

You do realize that the definition of "assault rifles" is merely code for "scary-looking guns"? The so-called assault rifles are merely cosmetic elements applied to semi-automatic rifles. Calling them "assault rifles" makes gullible people think that the government is banning machine guns which have already been heavily restricted since the 1930's.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I agree. I also wonder why we need a free press, the right to peaceably assemble, due process, protection from unwarranted search and seizure....

I might have missed it, but I didn't see the right to a driver's license in the US Constitution.

And I don't necessarily accept the idea of the government being prohibited from quartering troops during a time of peace.

What do you call the various handgun bans around the country?

todd

Reply to
todd

Even scarier is if you took any of his statements as anything other than high comedy.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Insanely so! The perfect response.

nb

Reply to
notbob

notbob

VZ snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

It seems to be a quote from Time Magazine. Bryco went belly-up in '03, after producing a line of Saturday night specials for many years. Cost new was about $120, IIRC, for the .380.

Used, it should be available for about $60, so I guess it fits. But Saturday night specials are about the only type of pistol that does. Of course, that's probably what most of these people are hoping to clear from the streets. Good luck to 'em on that is all I can say. There are probably 50-60 million of them around, though most cost well over 100 bucks these days. I owned several of these off-brand specials over the years, but was mostly afraid to fire them for fear of losing a finger or two. Someone gave me one a few years ago. I bent the barrel in a vise, and smashed the cylinder with a sledge hammer and tossed it.

Reply to
Charlie Self