Hanging Drywall with Nail Gun?

I've got an AirCompressor and two guns (one is a finishing gun 18 ga, the other is a framing gun).

Can I hang drywall (successfully) with a nail gun, even on ceilings?

Would this be in violation of generalized codes?

Which type of gun would I use?

I see Bostich has a DW Series Nail on some sites that it claims if for Drywall (but not specifically hanging).

Would a Brad Gun be right?

Reply to
PCGumshoe

First, any nail you use has to have a head to hold the paper. Brads and finish nails out. A nail has to be specifically designed for drywall for the mud to stick to the head. I have heard of using guns for drywall in other countries, but but I haven't seen it yet here. The gun would have to be designed to have very precise control of depth. Buy yourself a drywall screw gun.

Reply to
marson

Bostitch does list nails and a parts schematic for the DWT450G nail gun, but they do not list the gun itself. Maybe they no longer make it? Perhaps is was not such a good idea? The nails are listed under the Manufactured Housing section of the catalog.

Stick with screw. They hold better and are less likely to pop over time. Brads on a ceiling would be funny to watch as the sheets fall to the floor.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Plenty of white glue also

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Staple works better than brad.

In any case, the automatic feed gun like this makes the manual drywall screw gun look slow.

** Frank **

I seem to recall several years ago reading about someone who got shot in the head with a nail. It seems he was in a fast food restaurant and there was remodeling going on in the adjacent store. Someone was using a nail gun to hang drywall and missed a stud. The nail shot through two layers of drywall into the person's skull.

Reply to
John Grabowski

I saw another case like that a few years earlier. They were remodelling an offic iirc and the guy shot was a workman in the next room. Also very bad head injury

Reply to
mm