Nailgun beauty contest

In Watton auction tomorrow is a nailgun + compressor set so I shall go along to see if it would suit me

Thought I would google the archives to discover how to spot a good nailer

Discovered mentions of £65 Performance Power Pro at B&Q and Portanailer which is highly recommended for some other nailing job

I want to attach oak lath to oak frame with stainless steel nails

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____|

01359 230642

Reply to
Anna Kettle

Before you splash out, Anna, if it's specifically for this job, I would research nail sizes and types very carefully.

I presume the size of laths you're talking about are a similar size to those used in pre-WW2 houses for ceilings and walls - IIRC about 20mm wide by about 5mm thick or thereabouts?

Obviously nailing through oak has the risk of splitting, so if those are the sizes, I would think that a 15 or 16 gauge nail would be suitable, probably nothing thicker. An 18 gauge brad nail, apart from having no head to speak of would not be strong enough for the job. A framing nailer would be too big.

Have a look at

This is one of the top manufacturers. I am not suggesting that you buy their product, but there's a bunch of good information on sizing on their site.

Before you buy anything, I would try different similar sizes of nail and knock them in with a hammer - see whether the results are appropriate.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a nailer second hand, and effectively untested. First of all it may be knackered - e.g. mechanics are shot, and secondly as a result could be dangerous. These are safe and effective tools if you buy a reasonable one and look after it, but can be quite dangerous if not. A compressor may be a reasonable secondhand buy if it has been well looked after.

Can I also recommend calling a company that I've used a few times to buy nailers and nails - Top Gun in Blackpool -

I've found them very helpful with advice (and they don't do a hard sell), and especially with sourcing less than common nails. For example, I needed some 50mm stainless steel full round head spiral shank framing nails for my cabin project. These are reasonably easily available in the U.S. but here they are like hen's teeth. I was able to get them from these guys, albeit by order, for a good price and could buy them by the thousand.

Reply to
Andy Hall

In addition to Andy's advice, also consider if you need to drive the nails close to other obstacles. Nailers with the nail magazine at less than 90 degrees to the driving mechanism can be inserted in tighter spaces.

regards

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Try rec.woodworking - Lots of Americans, doesn't seem to be a hammer left amongst them.

Personally I like my huge great Vaughan framing hammer, all twenty five quid of it. Sure, I still have to hit things with it, but it's lighter than an air nailer, cordless and quieter than having a compressor running. That and a good nail sporran, I'm happy.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

In short, most nailers are no use for most jobs, you need to decide exactly what yuo want and get a machine that will do it.

Thankfully nailing 5mm lath is a very lightweight job, and a suitably chosen cheap nailer would do it. I doubt youd need to even spend 65.

I see youve finally fixed your kettle.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

The nailer at the auction was suitable for Rambo to tote and I think the compressor (£65) would take two people to lift. Both parts could have been new, but a little over the top for my needs

I will have a look at the B&Q one when I'm next there

No I've not done anything to it! When you mentioned it before I had a look but couldn't think of a way to suit everyone cos its designed for fixed width fonts. It was modified by the hand of the gods

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____|

01359 230642

Reply to
Anna Kettle

The compressor receiver will collect water condensate in normal use and it should be drained regularly. They rust internally if neglected. If the receiver bursts under pressure, there is an explosive release of the accumulated energy. It should also have a safety (pressure release) valve, which should also be tested &/or replaced (Machine Mart).

If it's for work, the Pressure System Regulations probably apply, which require annual inspection and testing for pressure systems over a certain volume. I don't recall the fine print, but Google should turn it up. It's likely they're mentioned in your liability insurance.

Reply to
Aidan

sounds very ott! I think something more like an oversized electric stapler would be more appropriate for 5mm lath. I'd check out screwfix argos and toolstation, and expect to pay less than 65.

the problem wasnt the font, but a missing return scrmabling things.

It is possible to design art for both proportional and non-proportional, I used to do it... but there are better things to do :)

NT

in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc

Reply to
N. Thornton