unglue wood

You're just a kid. ;-)

CSPC crib safety standards started in 1973.

Reply to
krw

Not true. There have been *MANY* crib recalls since the CSPC started regulating them.

Said shortcomings might not be known. It's a good thing to check. It might save a lifetime of grief, somewhere down the road.

Reply to
krw

That explains a lot. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

+1
Spalted Walt

not enough info make an ascii diagram or point to the crib online

or just go on craigslist and find a replacement crib

Reply to
Electric Comet

So when someone has a question about a table saw, you ignore their question to ask if the safety guard is in place? The next time someone asks about wood finishing, you're going to ignore their question to talk about lead-based paint?

She also did not ask whether her crib slats were spaced too far apart, but that didn't stop you from jumping right in on safe crib design.

You have no reason to think helenmag's crib has any safety issues - except for a broken dowel that needs replacing, for which she asked advice that you declined to provide.

It makes your question off-topic, and totally useless for helping helenmag with replacing her broken dowel which IS a safety concern.

It this case, it's about how to remove a broken dowel so it can be replace with a good one - a fix for the children that you decided not to help with.

You were the VERY FIRST person to respond to her question. When you wrote "Is the crib still legal for use? ..." no one had yet made any suggestions about how to remove the broken dowel.

Reply to
Just Wondering

Read the recalls--mostly they are in the "something might happen" category and most seem to be "drop side" cribs where the side can drop unexpectedly. Few are "design feature that violates regulations" recalls.

And of course this all assumes that the gummint, currently headed by a buffoon, knows what it is doing..

Reply to
J. Clarke

Please re-read the post you responded to. I addressed that very point. Here, I'll bring it down to the bottom for you:

(I'm assuming it's about the children. For all we know, there's some role playing going on. There may be no kids involved at all. )

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I'm done going back and forth with you, except on your last comment. According to my timeline, my response number *seven*. I had already read the responses about hide glue, drill out the old, sistering on a new spindle, etc.

I don't know what reader you are using, but it sure doesn't look to me like I was the even close to the first response.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Why don't you guys go out and build something rather than argue like those that belong in a crib.

Reply to
Leon

LOL. Yeah, or buy a tool.

Leon, you need a clamp? ;-)

I wonder if this is their actual asking price for the clamp!

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

W O W !!!! I'll pass!

Reply to
Leon

I think that's a Wilton 14298. Internet prices seem to range from $93 to $153, so $120 isn't all that ridiculous. Not that I'll be buying one.

Reply to
Larry Kraus

On second look, that particular one is not only used, but looks like it has been overtightened and no would no longer clamp square.

Reply to
Larry Kraus

ironically, the pawn shop selling it is in Humble.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Hey! Easy there big fella. I, for one, have been multi-tasking.

In between posts I built a $6 height-adjustable work light stand. ;-)

DerbyDad03

I read where some light stands were being recalled. They could fall over into a crib, injuring the baby. Has this been inspected?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I filled the base with broken spindles to weight it down.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Or you could read the newspaper. I know I've read of more than one kit's death caused by a non-conforming crib.

I don't even know who heads the CPSC. Do you?

Reply to
krw

Are you sure it was by a "non-conforming" crib?

I know who heads the government.

Reply to
J. Clarke