New electric hob - should it smoke? Or have I broken it?

I fitted a new Indesit electric hob (7kW, same as old one). I turned all 4 hotplates up to max together to check that everything worked. There were no pans on the hotplates. The stainless steel hob surround got very hot (too hot to touch) and some smoke came off the tops of the plates and wisps of smoke from vents on the bottom of the hob (inside the kitchen unit). This went on for about 10 minutes. The smoke does not smell electrical (you know what I mean) and the electrical contacts still all look good.
Is this normal? Or have I broken it? I only found out afterwards that you're not supposed to turn electric hob rings on without pans on them :(
Scrump wrote:

hotplates up to max together to check that everything worked. There were no pans on the hotplates. The stainless steel hob surround got very hot (too hot to touch) and some smoke came off the tops of the plates and wisps of smoke from vents on the bottom of the hob (inside the kitchen unit). This went on for about 10 minutes. The smoke does not smell electrical (you know what I mean) and the electrical contacts still all look good.

Last time I bought an electric cooker, the manual mentioned that during initial use, the protective coating would "burn off" the rings, this could take some time, and leave all the windows open.
Most rings have overheat protection built in nowadays. I'd not worry too much as long as they work with a pan on them.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

On 03/08/2012 19:55, Scrump wrote:

You often get some smoke off a new one, so nothing to worry about.
--
Cheers,

John.

I fitted a new Indesit electric hob (7kW, same as old one). I turned all 4 hotplates up to max together to check that everything worked. There were no pans on the hotplates. The stainless steel hob surround got very hot (too hot to touch) and some smoke came off the tops of the plates and wisps of smoke from vents on the bottom of the hob (inside the kitchen unit). This went on for about 10 minutes. The smoke does not smell electrical (you know what I mean) and the electrical contacts still all look good.
Is this normal? Or have I broken it? I only found out afterwards that you're not supposed to turn electric hob rings on without pans on them :(
It's entirely normal for them to smoke for a few minutes. And smell. There is an oil residue left over from manufacture. (The tube is drawn through dies which are lubricated during manufacture.)
I think you can turn them on low like that as obviously you can remove a pan and use it and replace it to keep it warm. Brian
From the sofa of Brian Gaff -
snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk
On Friday, August 3, 2012 7:55:06 PM UTC+1, Scrump wrote:

4 hotplates up to max together to check that everything worked. There were no pans on the hotplates. The stainless steel hob surround got very hot (to o hot to touch) and some smoke came off the tops of the plates and wisps of smoke from vents on the bottom of the hob (inside the kitchen unit). This went on for about 10 minutes. The smoke does not smell electrical (you know what I mean) and the electrical contacts still all look good.

're not supposed to turn electric hob rings on without pans on them :(
Just saw your worry from last year about the 'smokin' hob'. I fitted a new Whirlpool electric hob today and had exactly the same issue of smoke burnin g off so I looked up Google for help. Did your hot plate settle down to nor mal after a while ? I'd appreciate any advice.
Derek
On Sun, 8 Sep 2013 07:59:27 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com wrote:

Why not read the instructions?
The instructions for a new cooker the other year with solid hot plates said WTTEO "whack the rings on full for x mins before first use, some smoke is normal". x was 5 or 10 mins I can't remember exactly.
Ours smoked, just a few whisps from each plate as the manufacturing oils and/or dirt burnt off.
--
Cheers
Dave.
snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com wrote:

If I remember correctly, the instructions on my last new electric cooker said to turn all rings on max for a few minutes until the smoke from the protective coating they use to prevent damage in storage had cleared. The rings had a protective cutout on them anyway.
I know they smoked for a while when on maximum heat, but after a day or so (About an hour's use) they stopped.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Same here, it was all in the instruction book.