electric hob fault

Can somebody advise please?

This morning, as I was making my porridge for breakfast, I noticed that the small red indicator light on my electric hob, was flickering on and off, and making a buzzing sound.

Then there was a pop, and the RCD tripped on the fuseboard. I re-set the fuses and the hob was working again.

Is it safe to continue to use the hob in this state, or should I call in an electrician to check it over?

Reply to
deemac.one

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 15:22:18 GMT,it is alleged that "deemac.one" spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

[snip]

The latter option, call an electrician:-)

You had an earth fault, possibly due to moisture, the pop you heard is likely to have left soot deposits that could cause another fault. The danger is the fault may go from live to neutral instead of live-earth, and then the RCD wouldn't trip, which would be A Bad Thing (tm).

Reply to
Chip

Hi Chip, thanks for the advice, I will get it checked out ASAP. Regards, deemac.one.

Reply to
deemac.one

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 15:47:10 GMT,it is alleged that "deemac.one" spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

One further thought, if you *must* use it in the mean time, don't leave it unattended and turn off the isolation switch when not in use:-)

Reply to
Chip

Reply to
deemac.one

Use the microwave!

1 porridge 3 water 3mins and stir, then another 3 mins. Yum yum.
Reply to
Stuart Noble

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 20:25:00 GMT,it is alleged that Stuart Noble spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

Eeek, it's the food preparation method thread again

Reply to
Chip

Tried that this morning and it was Yum Yummy. Thanks for the tip.

Reply to
deemac.one

In article , deemac.one writes

I always use 1/2 cup porridge + 1/2 cup milk. But sometimes it erupts in the microwave (and it really does look like a volcano, except it isn't red hot), maybe I should take more water with it.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

The 1/3 water mix very nearly reaches the top of a basin that's half full to start with. Another 10 seconds it would be over the top but I've got it down to a fine art on our microwave. I leave it another minute before adding disgustingly sweet and creamy things to it (or Greek yoghourt if her indoors is watching).

Reply to
Stuart Noble