Birch Plywood For Painted Book Case - $50 vs. $75

I'm planning on building a pair of bookcase/hutches like these:
https://imgur.com/a/eCVZT
They will be painted, so I'm considering 3/4 birch plywood, something I've never used before. A local lumber yard quoted me ~$75 per 4 x 8 sheet. Home Depot has (what they call) Birch Plywood for ~$50.
I know that HD lumber typically sucks but I'm curious: What does the extra $25 get me at the lumber yard?
P.S. Would 5/8" be good enough for the carcass with 3/4" for the shelves and top of base?
Thanks!
On 11/8/17 5:45 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

In my experience, the HD stuff varies by lot. You must inspect and you can get lucky. I've gotten some incredible plywood from HD/Lowes for very cheap. I've also seen horrible, warped, out-of-square crap there. If you're looking at $75/sheet, you might want to look at plywood with MDF outer veneers. Best of both worlds and paints up smooth and easy.
--

-MIKE-

replying to DerbyDad03, Iggy wrote: You'll have to visually inspect them both. Rumor has it that the Lumber Yard still gets the furniture-grade plywood with a decent veneer thickness, I haven't found this to be true at 2 of the Lumber Yards around me. HD's however, is too thin to ever be refinish sanded.

Otherwise, 5/8's is definitely plenty and even too much for the carcass. 3/4 is at best only okay for the shelves, real wood planking would be a vast improvement. But, if you choose the 3/4, then you should angle iron or c-channel the front and back edges to avoid the inevitable future sag.

There is so much wrong here, it is difficult to know where to start.
replying to Scott Lurndal, Iggy wrote: I agree, you're what's wrong...as usual.
On Thursday, November 9, 2017 at 11:44:05 AM UTC-5, Iggy wrote:

Why do you snip our posts to such an extent that there absolutely no context left?
replying to DerbyDad03, Iggy wrote: Because, I'm on the new (1995, over 20-years ago) and improved REAL internet where it's not needed and only useless clutter, instead of some ticker-tape nonsense. We talk normally, we don't very annoyingly repeat what others said to us with our every response.

No, you're not. You're on the old and proven USENET.
If you're annoyingly repeating what others said, you need to learn to TRIM, not delete the context completely.
Puckdropper
replying to Puckdropper, Iggy wrote: No I'm not, Uselessnet's stealing my content and posting it on their bumbled service.
On 11/11/17 9:44 AM, Iggy wrote:

Ummm... you have that backwards, Bubba.
--

-MIKE-

replying to -MIKE-, Iggy wrote: Says you, so prove it. I'm in my browser on a normal website, which proves you're both wrong and only responding to what Obtusenet has stolen.
On 2017-11-11 11:14 AM, Iggy wrote:

From HomeMoaners terms of service, try and follow along.
The Service Description
HomeOwnersHub.com provides a discussion platform that may include local discussion forums as well as access via Web, RSS and other information technologies to Usenet discussion groups. HomeOwnersHub.com provides fully-featured two-way interface to Usenet that enables you to both view and contribute to existing discussions as well as create new ones.
On 11/11/17 10:37 AM, FrozenNorth wrote:

Don't confuse the poor boy with facts.
--

-MIKE-

replying to FrozenNorth, Iggy wrote: Thank you. I'm on HOH's "platform" and you're not.
On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 20:14:02 GMT, Iggy

Well if you were on usenet think of all the other newsgroups you could argue on!
You know, I'll never understand the folks here.
You know you are dealing with a bucket of shit, yet you keep going to it.
Why? Don't you know with someone like him all you do is get his filthy stink all over yourself as well?
When someone OBVIOUSLY can't tell when they are wrong and proudly crow at the top of their lungs about their own //profound// stupidity, why waste your time?
I got nothin'....
Robert

Similar personalities, the type that recognize their selves in the person that they are arguing with and think they know a way to come out on top.
Like looking in the mirror and arguing with who you see.

Please NO!!!!!!!!!!
On Saturday, November 11, 2017 at 3:14:08 PM UTC-5, Iggy wrote:

Now I get it. When you completely snip the post that you are responding to, your response doesn't have to make any sense. Good strategy!
On Saturday, November 11, 2017 at 11:14:08 AM UTC-5, Iggy wrote:

pssst...you are embarrassing yourself.
It's HOH that puts and takes from usenet, not the other way around.
In addition, your BS about including context being outdated is just so wrong. I participate in both usenet groups as well as web-based forums. The subject matter ranges from automobiles to hardware technology to software to woodworking. All but a single one of those provides either automatic quoting or a "Reply With Quote" button. In the one forum that doesn't provide quoting, 99% of the users quote via cut and paste in order to retain context.
In addition, any decent email application, whether web based or local to a machine, includes the original email(s) for both Reply and Forward.
If you don't know this, then all of your claims of living in modern times are just BS. If you do know this, then you are just being a dick.
Either way, you are embarrassing yourself.