Re: Anyone have a Tool Crib catalog?

Hi silva. I am not familiar with the skill 3400 but i got an old

> unisaw fence you can have for cheep if ya want it. I just put a bies

Thanks, but I probably couldn't get it to work very reasonably on this baby benchtop saw. I appreciate the thought though!

Reply to
Silvan

PORTA...

Did I at least have the approximate location in the catalog right? :) Amazing how a few characters difference make it hard to find something.

Anyway, thanks guys. I'm not necessarily planning to buy this thing. I just wanted to take a better look at it, and see what, if anything, people have written about it

Reply to
Silvan

Thanks for that. I'm really thinking I might do this.

Reply to
Silvan

No. I've done about all I can do with it already, and it isn't enough. The fence is seriously crappy.

The same saw you wisely returned. :) There's only one table saw with the Skil nameplate. It's a POS for sure, but OTOH I already own it, and I have a ton of jigs built for it. I'm comfortable with it, and I can do acceptable, if unspectacular work even with the crap fence. A better fence would be gravy.

I've pretty much talked myself into it. Everything else is either too big, too heavy, too expensive, or just not appealing enough. It helps that I got the saw for $50 too, new. The street price is about $180, so the first $130 spent on a fence improvement is sort of a gray area. Not exactly free, but I'll wind up with a better saw than anyone else got for $180 this way.

Reply to
Silvan

I wish I could remember exactly how the fence was made, it's been a few years. As I recall, it was the stiffest fence in that price range. And it had that handy collapsible out-feed support.

Didn't mean to beat up on your saw... :-o As I recall, for the money, it seemed usable. The thing that made me return it were the stripped 45 and 90 degree stops. Out of the box, they were hammered. But I never looked back, either.

All that really matters is that is does what you want. I had a really crappy Delta portable T.S years ago, and after fixing up some of the shortcomings, the arbor bearings sprayed their guts all over the room and the blade came lose, scaring the hell out of me. I've had an aversion to inexpensive saws ever since.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

Silvan-

you might consider building a fence. I made a fence for my bandsaw from stuff I had laying around- a zero dollar project. took the basic concept of a bies and scaled it down and modified it for available parts. it works fine.

Reply to
Bridger

Not *this* one. At least not the model of the the thing I have. The model they're selling now is a bit different.

It's OK. It's a boat anchor. I know that. Try as I might, I can't get enthusiastic about replacing it though. Not unless I score a good used contractor's saw for $50. :)

That was only the beginning of its shortcomings. Now that I've worked around them though...

Or maybe I'm just fond of the stupid thing. It was my first serious woodworking tool for the first thing I ever had that could legitimately be called a "shop."

I love to hate it, but it's sort of like an ugly cousin. I can say anything I want, but if *you* start busting on my cousin, I have to stand up for him. :)

Whee. There's a happy thought.

Reply to
Silvan

Been thinking about that too. I'm a cheap bastard after all. Rails are easy. Square tube steel or aluminum. The fence itself has me stumped though. About all I can think of shop built wise is something cheesy like a star handled set screw fore and aft to manually lock down both ends of the fence. Seems like that would get tedious, and would chew up the rails too.

I should google around for plans. I have time to decide anyway, as it will be a bit before I can put away enough pennies to buy anything either way.

Reply to
Silvan

try here for basic info for building one or i can send you a pdf file that has more detailed drawings and a email address for the guy who wrote it. its

770k so i wont mail it till you tell me to. i think you said you are on dial up and i know how long these things take to come down. i cant find the site that i downloaded these plands from but i did save the pdf. skeez
Reply to
skeezics

think baltic birch, built up to the thickness you need for the bracketry. a c clamp will lock it to the rail just fine....

Reply to
Bridger

770K is OK. I'd like to have it, so fire away. Thanks.
Reply to
Silvan

tried but it came back saying it exeded size limit. ill zip it and try again. skeez

Reply to
skeezics

ok it appears that it went that way. at least it aint come back yet! skeez

Reply to
skeezics

or call 800-635-5140

Reply to
Pat

I'll have to bitch at them. One of the original rules, 10 years ago, was that I had to have a 25 MB inbox. I guess they changed the rules on me somewhere along the line without telling me.

It hasn't come up until now. :)

Reply to
Silvan