Totally OT, Progress on a bayou restoration after Harvey

Many here have inquired about the storm, still fresh on our minds in the Houston area. Most every one of the dozen or so bayous in the Houston area caused home flooding.

One mile north of where we live is the SW corner of Barker reservoir. The Buffalo bayou flows from just NW of Katy Texas down south of Katy under 99/The Grand Parkway and into the reservoir. From there out through the flood gates on the NE side of the reservoir east into Houston and finally into the ship channel.

Pictures below are of the dredging of Buffalo bayou, to remove the silt that came in with the flooding, just inside the Barker reservoir, east of 99/The Grand Parkway. I took these pictures while my wife and I were riding our bicycles yesterday through out the many miles of side walks along the bayous.

Click any picture to zoom in.

Shockingly full of silt. The bayou capacity is typically about the width between the row of trees on both sides of the bayou. If you see tan silt, it should not be there. All is normally green. The blue pick up on the right side of the screen, under the yellow boom, represents where the normal width of the bayou is located. And the depth of the bayou at this point is about 8' higher than normal. All brought in from 4 days of rain.

A little further away. Again the green grass on the left side of the picture is the normal boundary, all of the tan silt in front of the grass was not there days before the storm. Note the "Y" where a small tributary joins Buffalo bayou.

This is that small tributary that enters Buffalo bayou. Notice the line of dump trucks coming in to haul away the silt. We saw a dozen or so trucks all along the bayou. This has been going on for a month. This picture was taken about 1/3 of the way across an 80' long foot bridge.

About 1 mile into the reservoir and at the Mason Street bridge you can see the concrete banks, near right, and far side behind the silt near the power poles, and small forest of new trees that have come up in the last 8 weeks. All of that will have to be removed to restore to pre-storm conditions.

This is how far the bayou was out of its banks a week after the rains stopped. This is about 1 mile south of the bayou. The bridge rails you see near the edge of the water are simply at a drainage ditch. I was standing near the top of the reservoir levee spillway. This was the shallow end of the reservoir. It got deeper to the right/east. Developers were totally at fault for ignoring the engineers warnings to not build businesses and homes inside the reservoir a few decades ago.

Leon

Thanks for the pictures. I was thinking, what is silt to Houston was probably farmland to someone upstream. That's a lot of dirt!

Reply to
G Ross

Absolutely, farm land. Houston is mostly gumbo/clay but Katy TX north of I10 tends to have sandy soil. That is the beginning area for Buffalo bayou.

Reply to
Leon

Appreciate your posting of the pictures, like the inside story shots.

I hope they can use that excess soil to their advantage give all the dump trucks I saw moving the stuff.

Sure looks to me like you have some really nice bike ride areas, minus the heat. :)

Reply to
OFWW

On 10/31/2017 9:21 PM, OFWW wrote: Snip

Well hopefully the soil will go to good use. BUT the environmentalists are warning about contamination of soils.

Yeah, we have probably a hundred miles of sidewalks other than those in front of homes and businesses and along streets.

Reply to
Leon

In our town riding on sidewalks get you a 300 fine, 1st offense, at least for adults. Seems to be a high incidents here for those riding in bike lanes getting hit from behinds, and often hit and run, so there are a lot of "ghost" bikes about.

A woman we know was run over by a car sweeping around a corner and surprisingly didn't kill her, her one shoulder is not 4 inches lower than the other and they don't think it'll ever change. She got off on her ticket in court but not her husband.

I have no idea where this money grabbing government system is going.

Reply to
OFWW

Where do you live? I have always lived in Texas, never have heard of a law/fine for riding on sidewalks.

Reply to
Leon

It's been illegal everywhere I've lived. Sidewalks are for walking.

Reply to
krw

In Vta County, here there is a $10K fine for 1st offense Drunk Driving, plus schooling cost + + A min fine for running a red light of

425 bucks, and seat belt fine of 250. Although no one should be breaking laws, I pity the lower class person caught in such a trap.
Reply to
OFWW

The lower class person has nothing to worry about. There is help available from the sleaze-bag lawyers who advertise on the big billboards in the poor neig hborhoods.

"In A Fix? Text Or Call 6! Call 666-6666. Your DUI Fix-It Team"

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Many don't pay the fine anyway. Ever watch Live PD on A & E network? Couple of weeks ago they stopped a guy driving with 26 suspensions. An amazing portion of the traffic stops for light out, seatbelt violation find the driver has expired registration, no license, no insurance. Many turn into small drug busts and DUI too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I don't see how your last 4 sentences support your first.

I'm not saying that your first sentence isn't accurate, I just don't see how it relates to the rest of your post.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It is the result of a minor traffic stop. A guy has a taillight out. Then they find a pile of driving violations like suspended for non payment of the last fine. Or any fine so the suspensions pile up. In a good case, they get another citation and ignore it. Then they smell marijuana and frisk the driver and search the car finding drugs. In one case 60 pounds of weed. Depending on the state, possession of small amounts is just a fine (never to be paid) and you go on your way.

Surely you understand they ignore and don't pay, thus an additional suspension. Most can never come up with the money to pay off the accumulated fines.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I watched this entire episode in July:

Evades police, endangers pedestrians, resists arrest and uses baby as a meat shield. Yet Black Lives Matter would still try and defend the perp and blame the officer. What a world..

Reply to
Spalted Walt

Those lawyers cannot do anything except raise your costs if you get sucked into their con's.

The welfare poor never pay as others have mentioned, but the honest poor try to. Now it seems many states have reciprocal agreements. So they can't even hardly move without changing their name to escape it all.

Reply to
OFWW

Many would like to be legal but a hefty fine for a minor offense forces them to break the laws about suspension. They still want to go to work for meager wages to survive. Most of us have gone through a yellow/red light by poor judgement but a $425 fine is out of reach for a lot of drivers.

What amazed me is the number of drivers that just ignore all laws. No license to be suspended, no insurance, expired tags. If arrested, they can often bond out in hours. What also amazes me is the stupidity of some of the drug carriers. They have many pounds of weed but don't use turn signals, have lights out, speed, then get pulled over and caught.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

How can you get a good handle on "the number of drivers that ignore all laws" from a silly TV show? It's like those old Leno segments where he interviews ignorant people on the street - he needed to interview 100 people to find the one dumbfuck.

The same is true with those reality tv cop shows you reference. One dumbshit per 10,000 pulled over drivers doesn't provide enough data to generalize from.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Just a note but in Mississippi in the '80s the profile for a drug dealer included "obeys the speed limit". DAMHIKT.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I don't have statistics, but I do have three relatives that are police and I know of many people in the questionable category. While not a scientific survey, it is pretty good observation, close up. I did not ask Jay Leno though. I do recommend you have coverage for uninsured motorists.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

While it is somewhat tragic, police officers generally deal with criminals, and thus often have a skewed view of the general public.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal