Office File Cabinet Progress

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, I hope it is not the train.

I have a couple more coats of varnish to apply to the face frames and attach the tops and backs and they are done. Well a small amount of trim... ;~)

Anyway, this is how I attach false drawer fronts to the drawer assemblies. Very easy this way with little to no measuring if you use drawer pulls.

The bottom drawer is in and I have placed 1/4" shims on top of that drawer.

I then set the next false drawer front on top of the shims and attach with screws through the predrilled drawer pull screw holes to hold the false front in place. Then I open the drawer and place screws in each corner from the inside.

Than I remove the screws from the drawer pull holes in front and replace on the inside using the holes previously created from the front side. AND I attach a stepped indexing piece of plywood to locate the height of the drawer pulls.

I set the drawer pulls on that indexing piece and press into the points of the screws that protrude.

Done

These cabinets are 43.75" tall and will have book cases that stand 78" tall sitting on top. A bridge cabinet between the top book cases will hang from the top. Total height will be just over 120".

Reply to
Leon

Like pie?

Reply to
Leon

length of combined subjects = 188 characters =( :c(|)

Re: Office File Cabinet Progress (was: Progress on the Office File Cabinets (was: Progress Report Office Library (was: Progress Report on the Office Library (was: What?? More Woodworking?)

Reply to
Dmitry Fedortsov

Very nicely done, Leon. Your work really helps showcase the difference fro m when I learned to "feel the force" by hand fitting joints with lots of ch iseling, sanding, fitting, hand sawing, etc. with all manner of tools to ge t joints right.

Taking advantage of today's technologies and machine capabilities, you have taught yourself to be on the cutting edge (no pun intended) of wood machin ing capabilities that make your perfect joints and use your tools to their fullest capabilities. Intersecting joints are perfect, alignments are perfe ct, parts and pieces all perfect... wow. You have taken what today's machi nes will do with computer assistance (Sketchup)to a craft unto itself. Bra vo!

But still, the one thing I always admire at least as much as your final pro duct is your designs. They are always so well proportioned and clean looki ng. Never fussy or overdone.

Another great job!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

That's true. Design in any field is all about scale and proportion and he has a very good eye for it.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Wow I just had a flash back.. LOL

Thank you Robert. As you well know cutting pieces all at once with the same setting is instrumental for joints that fit correctly, that and cutting square. ;~)

I really helps to see the concept on the computer before jumping in. 35 years ago I designed as I built, and it took fooooooor ever. I have also found that over done/fussy is the big manufacturers way to hide ugly joints or gaps or bad design. Like using Caulk. LOL

Thank you. 3 more cabinets to fit on top, but no drawers, so they should go faster, yeah!

Leon

Reply to
Leon

Thank you Mike!

Reply to
Leon

Thanks for posting this as well as you notes. I always enjoy your reviews of your work and take something away from it as I do.

In this photo,...

I noticed holes on the bottom of the cabinet, with screws. Are those levelers, if so could you post a picture of the bottom of the cabinets with them installed and any notes or hints?

Reply to
OFWW

Yes! Those are levelers.

I cannot post a picture of this particular set up but check here.

Here I put 15 each on the bottom of the last two king sized beds that I built last year. If you click the link and click the picture to zoom in you can see how they mount. Up sided down in this case but you should get the picture, so to speak. ;~)

Here is my drawing of the foot under the file cabinet but with out the adjustment hole in the bottom of the cabinet.

And generally where I buy them.

They have a ledge on the bottom that the cabinet side or front rests on and 4 screws hold them in place.

For install I made a drill jig to place the adjustment hole in the cabinet bottom. The jig guides the drill for the hole the hole the correct distance from the surface that the leg screws/attaches to.

And then I place the foot screw up into that hole and install the attachment screws. The foot screw uses a hex key/wrench to adjust.

Reply to
Leon

???

Reply to
Leon

What?!? No Festool Electric driver for that? ;)

Thanks for the info, the pics and the confirmation, and the parts link.

Also the sideways file cabinet and book case idea. It is on my todo list now. Can't wait for the rains and cold to be over.

Reply to
OFWW

Well actually I used my Festool drill to attach and drill. ;~)

A word of caution, the sideways/lateral file cabinet is relative shallow, front to back, and can tip easily when the drawers are fully open and loaded with files. This may not be much of an issue after being filled but I will attach mine to a wall stud along with having book cases on top.

Reply to
Leon

That was part of my reasoning for this style of file cabinet. Not wasting the space on top of a two drawer setup. In Calif, where not all shakers are religious, I was planning on mounting them to the wall also. Thinking of using the "suspended shelf" type hangers. And doing it in cherry wood.

Reply to
OFWW