Gift Boxed Almost Finished

I separated the tops from the bottoms and that made the grove around the perimeter of the previous pictures of the boxes disappear.

The box opened with the detail of how the twp parts fit together.

And with the first coat of varnish on the sides.

By making the sides out of the same piece of wood and separating later you naturally get the grain right on each side. A bonus is that the boxes do not have to be perfectly square as the top and bottoms glue up at the exact same angles. Less to worry about than if I had made the tops and bottoms separately.

Reply to
Leon

Beautiful, as always.

When you made the lap joint, you lost 2x the width of the lap, right? The grain is pretty straight but it doesn't look like there is a piece missing, even. Am I missing something?

Reply to
krw

Those look great!

Reply to
Michael

Thank you sir!

You lose width of the one of the groves, 1/4", plus the section 1/8" when the desperation cut is made. Basically the resulting bottom of the top side piece is 3/8" closer to the bottom side piece.

Reply to
Leon

Thank you!

Reply to
Leon

Beautiful, as always. Do you do the dados with your table saw or with a router table?

Reply to
G Ross

Thank you.

With the TS, much faster. Believe it or not, I'm cutting approximately

140 feet of groves for the 11 boxes. AND I am custom fitting the top grove width to receive the plywood panel and the 1/16" thick veneer and custom fitting for the the bottom plywood panel
Reply to
Leon

Crap, not desperation, should be the separation cut.

Reply to
Leon