Festool Roadshow

Went to this this morning.

This is worth going to. I got a 5 amp 18 bolt battery, charger, Granat sanding sponge pack, Festool Road Tour cap, Festool carry bag, catalog, and a "sticker". This was free.

I also got a Kapex, stand, and support arms capable of 94.5" repeatable cuts. That was not free.

It will be in SA on Saturday, Robert.

I will say that I ran into 4~6 people that already own the Kapex and many have had the saw 5+ years, including a local small business. They all could not say enough about the saw. The brothers that have their own business gave me a few pointers for cutting crown moldings and for cutting small pieces so that they don't get sucked up into the dust collection.

Reply to
Leon

The one I went to last week had the sides up and heat on. It was

*cold*. ;-)

They shorted me the sandpaper. :-(

You bought it from the store, though, right? They said they didn't sell stuff.

Did you ask about the reports of them burning up?

Reply to
krw

Well I ended up with an 18 volt battery that will not work on my 15 volt drill. LOL. But if I grind that tab a little it will fit. I wondering if the 3 extra volts will harm the electronics.... The motor should be able to handle it.

Yes the store.... Before 12 noon the store sold 5 Dominoes. and at least one Kapex. :~)

Yes I did. The rep indicated that it is hard to say what the issue may have been. He suggested, and I tend to agree, that it is probably the guys that use the saw heavily and daily and brutally. He thinks they may not be letting the soft start motor coming up to speed before plunging the cut. I'm thinking that the typical miter saw lasts 3~5 years when being carried to multiple work sites and they may being abused too...

I don't have much concern at all about it. I was surprised that there were so many owners and tradesmen that owned the Kapex at the show. they all said I would be glad that I bought it. All of those guys and one gal, sounded like me when I preach the Domino.

About the lady, I suspect she was in her mid to late 60's retired and loved woodworking for a hobby. She has the Kapex, both the large and small Domino, track saw, sanders.....but no drill yet. ;~) She seemed to walk the walk.

Reply to
Leon

Works in my Carvex and Sheetrock driver. ;-)

Five Dominoes is impressive.

;-) I don't think you'll find the Kapex to be quite as unique, though.

Was the German woman there? She gave a mean presentation of their twitching tool. Almost convinced me it was worth the money. ;-)

Reply to
krw

There was a young woman there but I did not speak with her. She was overseeing the drill area. Twitching tool? Would that be the multimaster with a Festool name on it?

I still cannot wrap my head around all of the people that owned the Kapex. And for most it was not their first mitersaw.

Reply to
Leon

I don't think she was that young. Well comparatively, sure. ;-)

Yes, but does the Multimaster have the same attachments? I don't know what it's called but the pad that is used for plunge cutting is really sweet.

It's certainly one of the best as a worksite saw.

Reply to
krw

OK, Leon. So the saw will be in San Antonio on Saturday? Does that mean y our happy self with be here, too? Are they shipping it to the local Woodcr aft on 281?

On another note, I don't know what "tradesmen" use Kapex out on a jobsite. Believe me, I know many, many carpenters, trimmers, cabinet installers, rem odelers, and a few custom cabinet makers. Not one, seriously, with all my c ontacts of 42 years of doing this work, not one uses a Kapex. Could the gu ys you saw be some wannabes?

No one is doubting the quality of the tool or the quality of its output. F irst, you simply don't need that kind of accuracy using today's current bui lding methods. Most important, you might as well hang a neon sign on a saw like that asking someone to steal it. Most of us work out of pickups... wh ere could you hide it?

The standard around here for trimmers is the DeWalt products. Good/great a ccuracy, sturdy build, parts for repair are available over the counter, and they have good service life. My last DeWalt 713 lasted 22 years. It rode from job to job in the back ofthe truck. I couldn't tell you how many tho usand feet of all kinds of trim that thing cut. It still runs, but the lif t handle broke and it exposed wiring so it is unsafe until I find a good AB S glue.

I loved that saw enough to run right out and get another rendition of that same model. Granted, I wouldn't let anyone else use it, and it was treated very well because I didn't want to knock it out of my adjustment. I took a lot of time to fine tune it as needed. But I paid something like $190 buc ks for it, and you can replace it now for something like $220. That saw is a steal.

Anyway...

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Actually quite a few people are doubting the quality of the tool. Read the negative reviews on Amazon--burned out motors seem to be commonplace.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Yeah! Younger'n me. LOL

NO, I don't think so.. Festool adds a lot of premium features to the tool over what Fein offers IRC.

Reply to
Leon

Check the Festool Road show schedule or call your little cal woodcraft to find out the details. I saw the schedule for the show and they will follow SA with Austin, Dallas AND Ft Worth. It really is a very cool setup with Festool guys that can answer any question you may have.

Neither did I but out of the 4 -5 I met a couple were in the business. They had all kinds of suggestions of how they use theirs and how they have theirs set up to cut crowns.

Agreed with the need for accuracy on the job site. Of the trades, guys 2 were brothers, about our age and nationality. :-). They for years were trim carpenters and apparently hauled the Kapex to the job site. With two of them I guess there are twice as many eyes on guard. IIRC they got the saw about 7 years ago. They did say that they were going more towards custom Furnature and were not doing any or as much trim any more.

For me, I want the accuracy and quality of cut. I often have the TS set up for a particular cut and need to make other quality cuts. Can I justify the cost? NOOOO. It was the whole package. Very small foot print when not in use. Very easy to move and set up. Very quick to set and tear down,including the wing extensions on both sides. I think it takes about 2 minutes to pull it out and set up for repeatable cutstyo to 94.5".

Understood. :-). I won't be lending mine out either. Kim talked me into it. I think she got tired of me fondling the Kapex at the store.

Reply to
Leon

The speculation as to why this was happening was explained as possibly not letting the soft start come up to speed before plunge cutting.

Reply to
Leon

umm call your little cal, should have been call your local Woodcraft.

Reply to
Leon

Sorry. After reading your posts, I could tell by the justification of "practicality", "portability", "it would work well for me in my shop due to limited space"...

I knew you had already purchased it!!!

Like The Hulk, you have a certain amount of that Festool green blood that flows through your veins!

I just didn't know where it was going to be shipped. I thought in anticipation of your new Christmas gift you might not have wanted to wait for them to show up in Houston, and to speed things along might have decided to pick one up here.

BTW, Kathy should have an answer on her time off this Friday.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Yes, It all just made sense for me and MY particular reason and application. I will say that I looked long and hard at the Fast Cap mobile miter saw stand. They have about 8~10 versions all based on the same concept. For about the same setup as the Festool stand set up I could get the upper end Fast Cap version but it is not really "well designed" to be put away in a "handle and 2 wheels" vertical position. It looked like it could be tipped over very easily. I would have to attach it to something stable when not in use. Other wise pretty well thought out, and certainly heavier.

Humm.

I think Karl made a similar comment about the green. LOL

The local Woodcraft had it in stock, that is where the Festool Road Show tractor trailer showed up. I still had doubts about that much money for something I really did not need, and the alternative at a substantial savings, the 12" Bosch Glide SCMS. While I was inspecting the Kapex on the trailer 4~5 people, non Festool people, came up behind me and started telling me their experience with the saw. I can imagine how I sound here when commenting about the Domino. It was not until I was loading the purchase in my truck that the 2 brothers, that do this for a living, stopped and reassured me that I was going to really like the saw. We probably talked for 15 minutes and we exchanged cards.

I thought in anticipation of your new Christmas gift you might not have wanted to wait for them to show up in Houston, and to speed things along might have decided to pick one up here.

No I really wanted to go to the show, BTW it is still boxed, all 3 boxes, and in the garage. I wanted to talk to the Festool guys that are experts on the saw. They demoed it, broke it down into take it away position, and back up ready to cut in a minute or two. Those guys can answer questions, that people that actually use their tools, will ask. And the first question I had was about the motors burning up. Naturally he was not going to bad mouth the product he was selling but given the reputation and his explanation I was less concerned about any problems.

Seriously, you should check the show out If you can get there. Keep in mind that they are only there for about 3-4 hours. They GIVE you about $200 worth of stuff which you may or may not be able to use but still..... the cap is nice and you certainly can use the Granat sanding sponges. ;~)

I still have some circuit breakers to give you. LOL.

Found the time, date, and location.

Event Details Woodcraft of San Antonio

13719 San Pedro Ave San Antonio, TX 78232 United States San Antonio, TX Sat, December 16, 2017 10:00 am - 2:00 pm

Not a problem. We will be busy with parties on the Friday and Saturday Christmas weekend, 22nd and 23rd. I suspect you will be lending your hand taking care of our great warriors but even still I'm certain that you and Kathy will be welcomed at both parties. Bryan and Hannah's house and another couple, our age, that we have really become quite close with.

Leon

Reply to
Leon