Harbor Freight Stepping up Their Game?

Apparently the new line of HF tools, Hercules, has got it's sites set on the DeWalt DWS780. But is the price difference to enough to go from a 3 year warranty on the DeWalt to a 90 day warranty for the Hercules? Will anyone pay $399 for a HF SCMS?

And the claimed "high efficiency dust collection" apparently means that it will collect dust on the outside of the dust bag rather than in the bag.

Leon

I liked the first sentence of this comment: "Harbor Freight's been sniffing too much cosmoline...."

That's better than Bosch. Even with a vac, the users shirt gets more sawdust than the vac. So, how's the Kapex for dust? It's looking better and better.

Reply to
krw

The Kapex dust collection with the vac is probably better than the dust collection of their track saws. You really don't notice any dust until you have cut several boards. And then it is mostly the coarse stuff that does not go far. I stay as free of dust on my clothing as I do when using my Festool sanders, and those work extremely well.

I will have to say that I am very happy with the set up I got with the Kapex as well as the Kapex. I knew that this purchase would be an indulgence as it was hard to justify the price considering how much I thought I would use it. More and more I am thinking that the dust collection alone may very well justify the price over the Bosch Glide that I was considering.

On a side note, I understand that if you use the bigger 36mm hose instead of the more common 27mm hose dust collection works even better. No bottle neck where the hose attaches to the saw. It fits over rather than inside the saw manifold.

If you have an issue with dust you should check it out.

Reply to
Leon

Well, they couldn't possibly 'step down' their game, could they?

Reply to
John McGaw

No, Watch AVE's teardown of the hercules drills. Crap.

Reply to
woodchucker

You know realistically you will never have to. On big ticket items they fr equently have sales on them showing 25% off or more. Then there is the cou pon that comes every other day in email, a flyer every two weeks with the s ame, and every quarter a flyer with 25% off. So $300 plus some change is r ealistic.

The saw looked nice in the video, and the construction sure looked like a l ot of miter saws out there. I know this is a "badged item" but I couldn't r eally find anyone's specs out there that match this model. BTW, sure like t he LED. I like the adjustable stainless turret ring detent as you can fine tune your saw beyond factory. Most saws (any besides DeWalt?) don't allow you to get fine tuned to your own specs. The blue blade looks suspiciously like a Diablo blade with its laser cut outs, but doubt that it is.

As far as the 90 day warranty, you can get an in store warranty for just a few dollars to extend it to 2 years. That is for //replacement// at the st ore, not for repairs. Having waited for parts on my Bostitch air guns, my DeWalt saws and drills, and having to ship off my Ridgid tools for evaluati on before repairs, I like that. Pretty nice to be able to have a tool break in the morning and have a new one out on the job in a couple of hours at n o additional charge. Both DeWalt and Bosch require you to ship (a 60lb mite r saw) to their repair center if you don't have one in your town. The cave at there is to find the DeWalt/Bosch center that works on your particular t ool; don't get me started on that subject.

Note too, that when reading the respective warranties, that DeWalt is 3 yea r limited, and Bosch only 1 year limited. Limited in both cases means that there is no warranty for anything other than manufacturing defects of mate rial or in workmanship. Their warranties do not cover wear and tear. I like DeWalt tools and like Bosch tools (some a great deal) but never have I gon e to the repair center where I didn't pay extra for repairs. Remember, ben ch fees at most places are about $75 and they determine what is normal wear and tear. So it is a $75 crap shoot; and if they ask you if you use the t ool commercially, I can almost guarantee there will be no warranty. In stor e replacement starts to look even better, right? Consider too, that most ma nufacturers exclude professional use of the tools from anything more than a 90 day warranty, regardless of box art claims.

I have used the HF additional warranty coverage, and believe me, no one in the store I go to wants to argue. They look at the tool, make sure it wasn 't run over and shows no signs of obvious abuse, they get the manager and y ou have a new tool. And with the purchase of the additional warranty, they register you and the tool purchase info on the spot.

So all that for probably about $350, including additional local warranty as described/experienced. That puts it a whopping $250 under the DeWalt and Bosch I found at Amazon. They are at $599 as of a few minutes ago.

I think it will come down to the actual repeatable accuracy and dependabili ty of the saw. Even though some of the new offerings from HF like their Ba uer and Hercules seem to spec out better, apparently some guys on the 'net seem to think they are inferior products. At $250 less, it seems like it c ould sure be worth looking at!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

On 3/3/2018 12:55 PM, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: Snip

That is what it is all about, will it be accurate. My big question is if it will be that much better than their Chicago Electric saw that sells for less than half of that price. Apparently users of the Chicago saw are pretty impressed too.

Reply to
Leon

Love that guy! I'm watching it, now.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Whichever way I go, I'll likely use my DC for the SCMS. It's pretty much right next to where it's going.

I will. You convince me, long ago, that it's better to clean up the source than the floor (and lungs).

Reply to
krw

Snip

Yeah! It is ironic how long it took me to realize the benefits of collecting dust before you see it. No need to clean up or dust off before going inside the house and many fewer sinus issues. Out of the

40 years of serious wood working I went about 22 years before seeing the light, instead of the dust. ;)
Reply to
Leon

Me too. He speaks my language too. He likes Hilti tools I think. Not at all impressed with the festering tools, (considering the price) He said the festering TS 55 is not designed for continuous use and abuse that a contractor would need.

Hilti on the other hand he thinks is over kill for the home user. As a home user, I wouldn't spend the bucks on either, but really, if I wanted to spend that much on a hand tool, I'd look at a Hilti first.

I bought my wife a kitchen aid mixer, and THEN watched his tear down/review of the same mixer, holding my breath. Seemed to pass so I was happy.

He says no manufacturer would ever send him a tool for review, and after watching him a few times, I believe him.

Reply to
Jack

BTW, sure like the LED.

I have a Crapsman 20 volt saw that has a laser light. I LOVE the light, and it enables me to cut almost as straight as a carpenter. My tailed Makita is a nice saw, but I'd never buy another circular saw w/o a laser. Makes cutting down the line of a 4/8 foot hunk of ply a breeze. Thought it might be a gimmick, but it's not.

Reply to
Jack

And yet pros have been using the Festool track saws for decades..

This guy is like many on YouTube, simply trying to get as many likes as possible. Click bate.

Reply to
Leon

Duh! It's not a contractor saw.

So do I, but likely for a whole different reason than do you.

Reply to
krw

Actually, I find him both entertaining and knowledgeable. Not your typical vapid haha type. He obviously has a lot of education/knowledge of electrical and mechanical engineering and knows a lot about plastics and metals manufacturing.

I haven't found him to be a Festool basher. He doesn't pull punches where he sees a need to be critical, but he also doesn't "look for reasons" to bash something. IIRC, he was concerned about one bearing on the saw, but he was also very impressed with the Festool casting and machining and took a lot of time to point it out and offered many compliments.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Regardless of his findings of materials used, the tools hold up, extremely well. I personally could care less what the materials are made up of if the tool does what it is suppose to do and for years on end. I kind of finds his findings pointless. But he is funny, haha. Obviously every thing has a weak point otherwise everything would one day degenerate in to a pile of dust. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Home Depot must be paying attention....

70° miter capacity!!
Reply to
-MIKE-

Pro's have also been using Harbor Freight junk, so what?

I'd bet you would be more likely to see the pros using HF than Festools.

Reply to
Jack

Just priced like one...

What might that be? -- Jack Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.

Jack

I don't know, so what. He said that the TS55 is not designed for continuous use. He has no evidence that they will not work as well as another brand with regard to function or longevity. And years of, in the field use, has proven that.

Yeah, so what?

Reply to
Leon