Oneida Super Dust Deputy XL 6”

Wondering if anyone has installed this? Is it an efficient cyclone when paired with a high merv cartridge filter? Planning on hooking up to a 2 hp single stage.

Reply to
Aaron G

What do you hope to gain?

Genuinely I am interested. MY DC is getting old and I could not ask for more, I think.

MY DC is a JET 1100 CFM with the pleated canister filter.

I once thought that a cyclone system might be better but I lose no noticeable amount of suction.

Reply to
Leon

I hope to gain cleaner air and easier disposal of sawdust

Reply to
Aaron G

Ok, will it actually filter the air better than a pleated filter? I have a lot of stuff around my DC pleated canister filter. There is little to no accumulated dust.

And does it really make it easier to dispose of saw dust? Won't you now have regular and ultra fine dust to deal with. If you still have to deal with saw dust I do not see how that is easier.

I honestly would like to believe that those would be great attributes but simply separating fine from coarse dust is not, IMHO, doing anything but creating more work.

NOW! Take in mind that I also extensively use a Festool Dust Extractor so the majority of fine dust goes into that. But the Jet DC collects pretty fine dust from my disk and drum sanders.

Finally if you are more apt to use better dust collection and it effectively does collect more dust I would say go for it. I was in that camp for a very long time until I began really looking at what I would gain. I don't have a dust problem with my set up.

FWIW Jet has a normal looking DC with pleated filter that has some kind of "Vortex" panel between the dust bag and the pleated filter. I think it keeps the pleated filter cleaner longer but all of the dust still ends up having to be emptied at some point.

So here is what Oneida has to say about the unit you mentioned.

For use with single stage dust collectors and 6" piping, this DIY cyclone eliminates filter clogging, suction loss, and messy dust bags by removing over 99% of fine dust and debris from the airstream, containing it safely in a customer supplied container.

To that I ask, is separating fine dust from coarse dust eliminating having to deal with fine dust? You have to supply a container for the fine dust. If you do not collect it in a bag and let it go straight into a can it seems that there will be more of an issue, you have to pour it out and that will create a lot of dust in air. Yes it will help keep fine dust out of a pleated filter.

I have a Jet 1100 CFM pleated canister DC. I have had it for 15 years and have never replaced the canister. The canister does get clogged with fine dust when I extensively use my drum sander but I spin the paddles inside and I am back in business. That takes a minute.

The Jet with Vortex might eliminate the fine dust getting into the canister however. AND all dust goes into a single bag. You don't need extra space and or an extra dust container.

See the Jet Vortex in the link below. You can skip to nearer the end when they compare the canister filter of a regular DC to the one with the Vortex feature.

IMHO neither the Oneida or the Jet eliminate dealing with dust or make the air any safer to breath. Both basically keep your filter unclogged longer.

My shop is a 3 car garage and space is a big consideration for me. The smaller a foot print the better. You may not have a space issue.

You may build a heck of a lot more than me and the canister staying clean longer may be a big plus. I build quite a bit, I'm not bragging here but I have owned a Festool Domino for about 14 years. I have cut well in excess of 10,000 mortises with it. I stopped counting about 4 years ago.

Thanks for indulging me. Regardless of what you end up doing I would be very interested in what you decide and later on if you feel that the set up is a better solution for you.

Reply to
Leon

Obviously the total dust is the same either way. I think there are at least three advantages of the cyclone. Many DCs (mine included) are a RITA to empty. Larger particles, particularly planer shavings won't make it to the DC. These won't plug up the filter that's really intended for fines. The bag or drum doesn't fill as fast keeping, the airflow up.

The other big advance I see is keeping all the large stuff, particularly metal from entering ye impeller.

Reply to
krw

Agreed, I would rather not empty my DC but it takes 15 or so minutes a few time a year. I will say that most of my work is for a client and I buy reprocessed wood, so not so much planer shavings, but a ton of TS saw dust.

Larger particles, particularly planer shavings won't

I have no issue with large shavings plugging my pleated filter, it is the dust from my drum sander that seems to do that, and turning the paddles solves that issue pretty quickly.

In my case, I really have no wants for something different.

BUT IF there was something missing I would certainly want to see an alternative. So far not so much.

The bag or drum doesn't fill as fast keeping, the

Reply to
Leon

...big snips for brevity...

When, as you note you don't create large shavings then there's not much point in having a separator for large shavings in the system.

Those of us who use virtually all roughsawn lumber and run it through the PM 180 or larger planer are another class entirely.

Even if one uses "just" a lunchbox planer and jointer extensively, the separator is almost a necessity.

Reply to
dpb

Oh I'm not saying that the set up is not a good one, just that when considering "my" situation that it might not be an advantage.

That is why I was asking so many questions.

But with that being said, do you have to empty your shavings daily? Is that how much you are having to dispose of? I could see that and maybe more often if the planer is running for hours on end.

In my case, the big issue is the fine dust getting into the pleated filter, and the cyclone does not seem to prevent that. Fortunately that is quickly and easily dealt with by turning the paddles.

By your comment, I think I see that the cyclone set up is more for sending larger quantity shavings to an easier to dump container. I can certainly see a reason for that!

Reply to
Leon

When really prepping lumber, sure. I'll generally do the first rough planing on a whole stack at the time of purchase in which case it could be several times a day -- before the set up now where I can actually park the big truck under a discharge with an "elephant trunk" made of a bunch of gunny sacks opened on both ends and sewn together to contain the outflow. Then I can just take straight to dump or occasionally find locals wanting for mulch or the like. I've run out of places I want to dump much more.

That occasional use aside, still when prepping individual pieces and surface jointing and then thickness planing to final thickness it still creates enough large chips that if only had the one-stage bag on the bottom it fills up in a pretty short time to the point of at least reduced air flow if not immediate dump required.

Then, add in the copious shavings from the 3/4" spindle shaper I use extensively for panels and/or edgings or from the many feet of architectural trim I just did for the new windows/door casings in the house remodel, for example...one can create volume to nearly rival the planer with it as well.

Many of the particularly earlier designs that folks may still have are a RITA to get the bag back on -- the first one I had just drove me nuts to do so -- could spend what seemed an eternity managing to get it back over the lip. I finally(!) had some handles sewn on the bag so could get a grip on it that helped.

I upgraded the DC to a used Dayton I found on line from a guy who had gone big-time and installed a full-shop DC system that is set up with

50-gal drum which is the way it normally works when not doing the "big stack o' stuff!" routine. But still, even it takes only a couple days of real work. I can get the little 955 utility tractor to it and set it in the bucket to then take to the haul-off...

The sanding and TS dust is nearly inconsequential in comparison to volume, I pretty-much just ignore the sanding as it gets blown away in the KS wind if working in the barn and the TS is small enough the old single-stage DC can handle it easily enough -- although I intended to run duct work for it, it's just more trouble to do that than I've gotten around to so far -- and my age now, it's unlikely I'll ever get that round tuit.

--

Reply to
dpb

I can certainly see a need to deal with the shavings are a remote fill spot when doing that much work.

A lot of past posters have had the small cyclone's on top of a 5 gal pail, running to their shop vac. I confess I was thinking more along those lines when I saw the Oneida.

This popped up before I searched the a actual unit the OP was talking about.

Understood. I do recall planing 200 bf of rough cut oak 14 or so years ago. The DC did fill quickly. Before I got the DC I used a 10 bench top planer, the original Ryobi AP10. I do recall loosing our chocolate lab under the shavings. She loved to lay under the end of the planer and disappear.

Reply to
Leon

... snnip...

Never had a dog that liked to be in shop with equipment running -- noise freaked them out. For a while before getting things set up after we came back the jointer wasn't on the DC and the cats liked those chips for bedding...

--dpb

Reply to
dpb

LOL. After many year later the Lab went to doogie heaven to be replaced by an 8 week old Great Dane.

When the Dane was about 5 months old I brought her out to the shop, it was Spring, and I tied her to the my jointer. I don't recall what I turned on but she and the jointer headed out the door. She was a great dog in every aspect except being in the shop when I was working.

Reply to
Leon

Last weekend I was looking for some exotic shorts at Woodcraft. I thought I was picking through 2x4s at the BORG.

Mine has two bags. I can beat it silly but there is always mur in there. I hope to replace it soon with a HEPA. But I'll have to replace my truck first. Tough timr to do it but a car, a Mustang convertible, doesnt haul much wood.

Reply to
krw

Thank you Leon. I don’t produce as much as you. I am a retired guy in a small workshop in an attached garage with a wife that is very sensitive to PM2.5 particles. Plus, I have a bit of issue with dust too since being a carpenter for 40 years. The SDD doesn’t have the typical cyclone shape that you see when purchasing a complete system so I was wondering if anyone has ever installed one and can comment on it. I will keep you informed when I complete my setup. Thanks, Aaron

Reply to
aaron

Hey Arron, I'm a retired guy in a relatively small workshop in an attached garage. LOL.

Thanks for the reply! I'll look forward to your decision and how that works out for you.

I don't know if you have any Festool or like products. But, with this type system, using one of their dust extractors along with any of their sanders, dust becomes much less of a problem. Before I used dust collection on my sanders I would almost have to change clothes to come into the house. With the Festool setup I can turn the sander off and walk right in to eat after rinsing my hands.

Reply to
Leon

Leon, I have the MIDI that I use with my Kapex and sanders. Yes, I agree, does it ever collect sanding dust. From my Kapex, not as efficient. I had tried the Festool preseparator with the Kapex but I found it didn’t really do anything. I was using a 10’ 1.5” hose. I later found that it is most effective with routers and dominos.

Reply to
aaron

Ah! You have moved to the dark side. LOL.

I have the Kapex too. Mine picks up dust pretty well and then one day it did not.

I looked for a clog and saw nothing. I even looked dowe into the port on the saw and only saw the blade. HOWEVER during my exploring a piece of thin wood fell out on to the saw surface. After that the dust collection was restored to 95 %. Apparently that small piece of wood was disturbing the flow.

FWIW I understand the larger diameter hose, that Festool sells, works better also.

I have not yet gone the Festool router route. I do not often use a router these days.

While we are drinking the Festool Koolaid, have you seen or tried the new edge sanding attachment for the Festool sander? I got my hands on one earlier this year and of course it did not fit any of my Festool sanders and I had to add a 4th Festool sander. That edge sander really works well and is fast. I finished a kitchen remodel in March and the edge sander made edging sanding the 32 doors + drawer fronts a quick and easy job.

Reply to
Leon

You are a much more productive woodworker than I. I am no longer into kitchen cabinets so would not have much use for the edge sander. Mind you, I have not even viewed it yet. I built one set of kitchen cabinets early in my career but found it much to competitive so I switched to commercial cabinetry for small retail. It was more profitable and the variety kept the job interesting. I don’t have a Festool router either. Have have an older Porter Cable 690 with a fixed and plunge cut base but at some point will get a Jessem router lift and compatible router. I purchased A Ridgid professional hose for the Kapex. It is 1.5” in diameter. The end fits perfectly over the Kapex and it came with the fittings to fit into the MIDI. Also, the interior ribbing of the Ridgid hose looks exactly like the interior of the Festool hose. Since the price was a third of Festool, I didn’t mind cutting it down to 6 feet. That said, I have always been a bit disappointed int the dust collection capabilities of my Kapex. From all the hyperbole, I always expected more. However, I have recently learned that I need to hange my cutting technique. No plunge cutting. Slide forward, plunge, and then pull the blade back into the wood for the best dust collection. And still doing a bit of research on dust collection. I have found a source in Canada for the Wynn Environmental cartfidhe filter that everyone talks about. So I am going to order one to go with the Oneida SDD XL. The Oneida is the only off the shelf cyclone available that I can find.

Reply to
aaron

Well I am not a pro, so to speak, I just happened into this. I retired from the automotive business at 40. I have been interested in woodworking since about the age of 10. Woodworking was a therapy for me. When I retired friends and neighbors began placing orders.

I have probably only built and helped build 7 complete kitchens and have replaced doors and drawers of 9 or so. I mostly design and build custom pieces of furniture for clients that cant find what they are looking for in a furniture store. I build good quality and have a some what unique design that sells pretty well. None of what I do would be considered a living although I am pretty certain that if I advertised I would probably be working way too much. I am strictly word of mouth and I hand out the occasional business card.

Snip

My mistake.

Have have an older Porter Cable

Hummm. I have not considered that possibility.

The end fits perfectly over

I am surprised that you are having issue with that. If I cut a 1x8 to length I have to look for the stray dust. On most all other miter saws, especially my old Delta, it looks like you spray painted saw dust every where. Anyway, you might check to see if anything out of sight is disrupting the air flow. My Kapex was really bad on one occasion until that small sliver of cut off material fell out.

From all

My technique is to pull the blade out and do a shallow cut and pushing the blade back towards the fence. Then back out again and going full depth back towards the fence.

I'll be anxious to hear what you end up with.

Reply to
Leon

Thanks Leon. I shall try your cutting technique. And closely inspect the dust boot and dust channels for debris.

Reply to
aaron