Progress on the Gift Boxes

The weather has been cold and damp here so prefinishing the insides of the boxes took some time.

Anyway I have now got all of the boxes glued up and need to cut the boxes to form the separated tops and bottoms.

If you zoom in you can more clearly see the groves around the perimeter of the boxes. This will become the rabbet on the bottoms of the boxes and the cut will also reveal the inner rabbet on the box tops.

More pictures to follow as I move forward.

Leon

replying to Leon, Iggy wrote: Oh, you switched to clamshell from topmost lid...if I recall correctly. I didn't pick that up in the last update, I just presumed the outside dado was for a scrap inlay, rhinestones, LED's or an optional mounting...I'm kidding on the latters, though a glittering and flashing hanging box or bunches of them could become a new fad.

Reply to
Iggy

No, I have made this style box on 3 occasions and it has always been the same.

Actually I may stay with the same technique BUT next time I may add a couple of decorative contrasting strips as a very first step. I use a

1x8, actually measures 7.25", and I rip it in half to end up with 2, 3" wide sides to make the sides of the box, little waste. But Ii I add a couple of decorative strips I will effectively make the wood wider to begin with and naturally a bit larger boxes.

...I'm

Maybe!

Reply to
Leon

Should be 2, 3.5" wide pieces.

Reply to
Leon

replying to Leon, Iggy wrote: Ah, very good and keep up the great work. I look forward to the bedazzled leopard skin boxes.

Reply to
Iggy

As always, looking good!

I resolve every year to take some time and turn some ornaments on the lathe. I really did enjoy that and have turned more than a few. Somehow, it never works out. One day...

Until then I get a charge out of seeing your good work. Thanks for taking the time to post that.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Thank you Robert!

If you and "you know who" can make it to Houston "you know who" might get another. Bait tossed. Waiting on nibble. ;~)

BTW, what wood do yo use to turn the ornaments? Balsa, Bass wood, or.....

Reply to
Leon

Still awaiting word on the plans myself. Kathy had some personnel rearrangi ng at her office and she is now leading another team (along with her own)fo r a short time until they hire a replacement. There is more damn drama in that business than you could ever describe.

No bait needed, though. I am pushing her just so we can all get together! Hopefully, we will have some answers pretty quick. Hate to go without her ....!!!

As far as suitable work goes, I do like most turners. Whatever looks inter esting gets chucked up. I hit firewood piles for mesquite, huisache, spalt ed pecan, etc. Since you just need small pieces, sometimes it's a treasure trove. Knotty pieces, crotch wood (like the mesquite crotch lamps I showe d you) are best turned green, so I keep an eye out when folks are tree trim ming. Arizona Ash, Silver Maple, etc. are soft and turn like butter when th ey are green. When I was in full production mode I used to rough out ornam ents a few months before Christmas, let them dry out in a paper grocery bag , and the finish turn them before Christmas.

Since they are supposed to be colorful, I sometimes paint them, stain them, or add little pieces of contrasting wood to them. One year I made an orna ment for a relative (from Ohio!) to give to his brother. I put a Lone Star made out of silver that I bought from a leather working site on it because he thought being in Texas was like being in the wild west. (Right, just be cause we don't eat casseroles 5 times a week..).

Those little leather conchos are easy to use and can be bought in just abou t any shape and size. I think Kathy has one I made her years ago that has a small gold angel I purchased at Tandy.

Personally, I like the ornaments to have featured natural defects like brok en knots, spalting/staining, different color of sap wood, or anything else that is natural that catches the eye.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

No BOX! with out the Kathy! ;~) Whenever ;~), after Christmas and you get to see my new toy. I took the bait.

I was wondering if a lite weight wood would be needed, I guess they are small enough that it probably foes not matter.

I was using the lone star concho's for wine bottle stoppers. They were handsome. I did learn a valuable lesson way too late on wine bottle stoppers. Don get the chrome, it reacts with the wine. And don't turn a long/tall stopper. It will not fit in the refrigerator. ;~(

Are you talking about the metal conchos or are there actually leather ones?

That way they don't look like they are from Ikea. ;!)

Reply to
Leon

anging at her office and she is now leading another team (along with her ow n)for a short time until they hire a replacement. There is more damn drama in that business than you could ever describe.

er! Hopefully, we will have some answers pretty quick. Hate to go without her....!!!

Getting closer to a proposed date. She is applying the pressure to get off . They aren't happy as they want all the loan closings they can get by the end of the year. I put my money on Kathy...

Uhhh.... a new toy? Leon, what did you do? LOL

nteresting gets chucked up. I hit firewood piles for mesquite, huisache, s palted pecan, etc. Since you just need small pieces, sometimes it's a trea sure trove. Knotty pieces, crotch wood (like the mesquite crotch lamps I s howed you) are best turned green, so I keep an eye out when folks are tree trimming. Arizona Ash, Silver Maple, etc. are soft and turn like butter whe n they are green. When I was in full production mode I used to rough out o rnaments a few months before Christmas, let them dry out in a paper grocery bag, and the finish turn them before

The wood doesn't matter that much. The more you turn, the more you will ex periment. I have made hollow ornaments, small orbs with long drops on them , and a just a few more traditional shapes. The ones I enjoyed most was tu rning a Christmas tree light bulbs (including the base) from spalted pecan. I sold a couple, and one lady had me change out the hook so she could wea r it on a Christmas necklace.

hem, or add little pieces of contrasting wood to them. One year I made an ornament for a relative (from Ohio!) to give to his brother. I put a Lone S tar made out of silver that I bought from a leather working site on it beca use he thought being in Texas was like being in the wild west. (Right, jus t because we don't eat casseroles 5 times a week..).

Turned a few stoppers. Weren't popular as gifts as all my amigos and amiga s that drink guzzle the bottles pretty quickly. I personally would have th ought the chrome would have been a good choice for a wine stoppper...

about any shape and size. I think Kathy has one I made her years ago that has a small gold angel I purchased at Tandy.

I was talking about the metal conchos used to decorate leather work. They do make leather conchos though, for those that don't want to take all the t ime needed to carve what they want.

broken knots, spalting/staining, different color of sap wood, or anything e lse that is natural that catches the eye.

No kidding. That's a great description for my first ornaments as I wanted to use only clear, straight wood. At least it wasn't beech.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41