Tool Gloat: My new Old Lathe

I'll soon have a Craftsman 12' wood lathe For Sale as I just got a sweet deal ($200) on and older Rockwell/Delta lathe (pics posted in ABPW) Seems the Industrial Arts programs have been phased out over the last several years so they are selling off the tools. This was the last machine left. Anyone else have one like this ? Thoughts or comments ?

Lenny

Reply to
Lenny

Yes. You suck.

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 23:45:31 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Buddy Matlosz" quickly quoth:

Congrats to Lenny on the upgrade to an old and better, non-Crapsman machine!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Someone has to say it..... a 12 foot lathe from Craftsman? I could turn new columns for some southern mansion if I could only get the 12 foot log between those centers.

Reply to
Dave Hall

Reply to
Lenny

LOL , I can't tyep. =0 ) Actually, I once turned two 10 foot porch columns (In an attempt to survive another cold Maine winter as a self-employed carpenter). Had to match existing columns, which of course were not available to purchase anywhere. My Dad had an old lathe that had been his Dad's. It was very similar to the Conover (model ???) Consisting of some cast Iron legs into which you fit some pretty sizable timbers to form the bed. We replaced the 5 foot bed with some 12 footers, laminated some

8/4 P>>
Reply to
Lenny

Helped a woodworker near me set up and turn columns on the lathe you bought, countershafted to around 50 rpm. Tailstock was removed from the iron bed , located at the proper length down a set of 2x6 ways. Most of the work was done with planes, as the columns were coopered, and close to final shape.

Reply to
George

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 19:41:05 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Lenny quickly quoth:

I was in tears the first time I saw that. It's SO TRUE! Now try this new sig...

So find an old 3-phase motor locally for $20 and use it as a rotary phase converter (RPC), or buy a static (SPC) from Griz for $169 , or buy a new Chiwanese motor from Harbor Fright for $59 or less; your choice.

----------------------------------------------------------------- When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright ----------------------------

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 19:41:05 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Lenny quickly quoth:

Oops, I forgot the How-To links if you go that route:

----------------------------------------------------------------- When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright ----------------------------
Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
Lenny

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 05:59:56 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, Larry Jaques quickly quoth:

P.S: PLEASE STOP TOP-POSTING, DAMNIT!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to