finishing cherry sofa table

It's been a long while since I had to finish a cherry table top. This is an 11" wide sofa table, which will serve as the holder of coffee cups, drinks, and a small poodle. I'd like a medium glossy finish which would be able to stand up to the drinks and moitsure, but not be super glossy.

How does Waterlox rank in terms of this?

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Short on UV inhibitors, which you might want. "Spar" type varnishes are longer on oil for flexibility and also have UV inhibitors added. Something that's going to see direct sun would benefit from both. Use a coaster.

Shine can always be cut back by roughening the slick surface. Some people also use satin varnish, but the internal scatter doesn't appeal to me.

Reply to
George

Very well. I have done 5 livingroom tables with waterlox over cherry (three are mine, two for my dad) they have been in service for almost a year. There are a couple if scrapes, but they appear to be the result of the wood being compressed not the finish failing. water resistance has been good. I appears as though it would hold up to the occasional standing water, although I try not to let that happen. I routinely clean those tables with a damp sponge with no ill effects.

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

I don't know much about Waterlox but given the specifications I would use any semi-gloss of satin poly. Mix it 50% with mineral spirits and wipe on many coats with some light scuff sanding in-between. Spraying always makes for more gloss and builds up too fast. If you get too many coats Cherry looks really dead and plastic but poly is pretty much unbeatable for taking abuse, like dog claws and table top moisture.

Not very repairable but much much less likely to get damaged.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com