A customer is down sizing and moving to a smaller home. Furniture that was in the garage is being considered for the new home and this piece, links below, is one that I am refinishing. I don't like refinishing especially when the finish begins to break down and get gummy.
The really ugly old finish. https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/44743867231/in/photostream/
The underbelly of this old piece. https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/44743867171/in/photostream/
The mostly screw construction of the individual pieces. https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/30873826238/in/photostream/
The top. https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/44743866781/in/photostream/
With the exception of the glued up boards for the top and legs no glue was used. The cross braces joining the apron's and legs together were dadoed in at one time and originally nailed in place with small flat headed nails. Those did not hold and I replaced the nails with 1.5" washer head pocket hole screws, 4 on each of the 4 corner braces.
Every thing except the top now has two coats of lamp black paint and a coat of varnish to give the flat black a touch of sheen.
The top with a prestain sealer, two coats of Miniwax stain, yes I used Miniwax, and three coats of varnish.
I'll post pictures at completion if the varnish will ever dry. ;~)