Say you want to join the edges at a 45 degree angle. With normal joinery you might bevel the edges to 22.5 degrees, maybe biscuit, glue and clamp.
With pocket holes it becomes somewhat easier and stronger if you simply bevel one edge at 45 degrees and leave the mating edge at 90 degrees. You simply build a 45 degree jig to set and hold the pieces in place allow the 45 degree bevel piece to fit deeper so that the back sides of both pieces join to a smooth joint.
After gluing and applying the screws remove and sand the point off of the corner. This hides where the actual joint line is at and moves it away from the actual corner. Clear as mud? Maybe not to those that have actually built this jig and used it.
I was think about this jig and dreading to have to build another for my current job. I need to join two pieces at a 69 degree angle. I then had a thought, an instant bit of knowledge pop into my head and I made this process much much easier and with out using a jig.
To clear things up a bit, a picture is worth a thousand words. The link below shows a picture of the two pieces I joined with glue and pocket holes. The picture also shows the "hidden joint" about 1/4" away from where the pieces change angles and where you would normally see the joint.
You normally need a jig to hold these pieces in place while gluing and inserting the pocket hole screws.
Here is the picture that popped into my head and the firs step. Like normal I cut the bevel that I needed, in this case 21 degrees. Next I lowered the blade on my TS to 1/8" below the surface of that piece of wood and moved the fence closer to the blade just shy of the width of the blade. This is the result of those procedures. Notice the small lip that resulted. Keep in mind also that with different angles the lip will need to be larger or smaller. A scaled drawing or a drawing program tells yo exactly how much to cut.
Here you can see how this comes together. The lip replaces the jig, it holds the mating piece in just the right place with no need for clamps or jigs when inserting the screws.
Parts in proper place, you see what needs to be sanded off. BTW This picture was my first test of this method and I had not yet drilled the pocket holes.