Pocket hole miter hack

For those of you that have a Kreg pocket hole or like jig you may recall seeing instructions, video, or demonstration of how to join two pieces of wood, by their edges, with an angle other than 90 degrees.

Say you want to join the edges at a 45 degree angle. With normal joinery you might bevel the edges to 22.5 degrees, maybe biscuit, glue and clamp.

With pocket holes it becomes somewhat easier and stronger if you simply bevel one edge at 45 degrees and leave the mating edge at 90 degrees. You simply build a 45 degree jig to set and hold the pieces in place allow the 45 degree bevel piece to fit deeper so that the back sides of both pieces join to a smooth joint.

After gluing and applying the screws remove and sand the point off of the corner. This hides where the actual joint line is at and moves it away from the actual corner. Clear as mud? Maybe not to those that have actually built this jig and used it.

I was think about this jig and dreading to have to build another for my current job. I need to join two pieces at a 69 degree angle. I then had a thought, an instant bit of knowledge pop into my head and I made this process much much easier and with out using a jig.

To clear things up a bit, a picture is worth a thousand words. The link below shows a picture of the two pieces I joined with glue and pocket holes. The picture also shows the "hidden joint" about 1/4" away from where the pieces change angles and where you would normally see the joint.

You normally need a jig to hold these pieces in place while gluing and inserting the pocket hole screws.

Here is the picture that popped into my head and the firs step. Like normal I cut the bevel that I needed, in this case 21 degrees. Next I lowered the blade on my TS to 1/8" below the surface of that piece of wood and moved the fence closer to the blade just shy of the width of the blade. This is the result of those procedures. Notice the small lip that resulted. Keep in mind also that with different angles the lip will need to be larger or smaller. A scaled drawing or a drawing program tells yo exactly how much to cut.

Here you can see how this comes together. The lip replaces the jig, it holds the mating piece in just the right place with no need for clamps or jigs when inserting the screws.

Parts in proper place, you see what needs to be sanded off. BTW This picture was my first test of this method and I had not yet drilled the pocket holes.

Leon

One more shop immediately after gluing and inserting the pocket holes.

Leon

reminds me of a bird mouth joint.

Reply to
woodchucker

Ingenious. That is some pretty wood, too. Is it oak?

Reply to
G Ross

White Oak! and Thank you. I'll be posting pictures when this project, a Knights of Columbus, podium is complete. White oak And Cherry.

Reply to
Leon

About the same effect. BTw the link below is how Kreg shows how to do it.

Leon

That's pretty cool! I've often done the 45 on one with a 90 on the other thing, then sanded off the point. Seems like it's easier to line up, clamp, and/or screw and you don't have to worry about get perfect alignment.

But you're set-up takes it to a whole new level.

Reply to
-MIKE-

It is pretty cool. Leon, I think you should now do your YouTube video for this. No kidding, that is pretty helpful and ingenious as well.

Personally, not sure I would have ever thought of that.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

It is pretty much a no brainer. I did not practice on scraps, oh my!

Actually the piece was an inch or so oversized so I could fix a screw up. But there is nothing simpler than lowering the blade and moving the fence about 1/8" and running through again.

Reply to
Leon

So you have been doing this type stuff for 30+ years and I have too. Neither of us have thought of how to do this and I have been making this type joint for probably more than a decade with out giving a second though as to how to make this easier.

And then the thought just popped into my head. Sometimes answers/solutions just come to me with out much, if any, thought process. One would think Kreg would have figured this out, I saw their demo of the jig when I bought my first all metal Kreg pocket hole jig a decade or two ago.

Had I put much thought into this I would take some of the credit.

This really could not be much simpler. I give credit to my, always there, creator. ;~)

I sent the pictures and suggestion to Kreg. They seemed genuinely interested and responded with a comment that they were sending this to their woodworking test staff to try out.

Reply to
Leon

The beauty is that the screws pull the piece snugly into that lip. The greater the angle, the larger the lip.

So you simply lower the blade until it protrudes through the slot the thickness of the piece that you are going to attach. NOT height, rather the length of material it will remove.

Reply to
Leon

Arriving late to the party....

That is pretty sharp of you, Leon. Probably, the credit goes to the Mrs., though, for feeding you all that good brain food.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Thank you! She plays her part. ;~)