Planers

Getting ready to buy a planer. Any comments or suggestions on Delta vs Dewalt?

Reply to
Dennis Castle

I had never used a planer before this, but I bought the Dewalt 735. I don't have any problems with it. It puts a real nice surface on a board even at the dimensioning speed. I've never had to use the finishing speed. It's pretty heavy compared to the others, but other than that, I have no complaints.

Reply to
Tom Wojeck

I've had the DW735 since mid-Oct. So far has been everything I'd hoped for. VERY smooth, a solid machine. The chip ejection blower a big plus for my use. I'm quite happy with it...so far.

DexAZ

Reply to
DexAZ

Got the Delta 13" about a year and a half ago. No problems, no complaints. Also--it's "quiet" by planer standards.

Reply to
nsum

Have you done any blade changes yet? I hate chaning the blades. I may be buying a new planer soon and I'd like to get one that makes changing the blades as easy as possible.

Reply to
David Alexander

Dave,

No, not yet. From what I read in the manual and elsewhere, the 735 uses reversible, non-resharpenable disposable blades. They have no degree of "adjustment" as in other machines. Therefore, you remove them, flip over to the new edge, reinstall them or replace with new blades and you are all set! They are set and aligned simply by installing them. A combination hex wrench & magnetic removal/insertion tool is included. It stores in a convenient location on top of the machine. Good idea as I have had to search the shop more than once for some seldom used servicing tool in the past. (Yes, I have one of _those_ shops) Some have debated the use of disposable blades as they cannot be sharpened. If I don't have to go through the "trial and error" of adjusting blade height or buying special gauges etc. to use when replacing blades, then I consider the use of disposable blades a good deal. I hate to change blades too and if this is all there is to changing them on the 735, I will be real happy. I do understand those who enjoy the challenge of mastering removing, resharpening and realigning blades. If that makes them happy, good for them. But I find no thrill or satisfaction in having conflict with the tools (or people) I work with. I don't do production work so if I have to make a few more passes at more shallow depth-of-cut to prolong blade life, fine. As yet, I have not used the 735 on dirty wood or wood from old pallets with hidden nails but may in the future. When I do replace the blades, I intend to keep the old set and use it on rough wood prone to nicking blades.

DexAZ

"David Alexander" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
DexAZ

I researched this extensively recently and decided on the Delta 22-580 mainly because it is much cheaper than the DeWalt 735. This may be less of a factor now that the Delta $50 rebate offer has expired though. Lots of people have had very good things to say about the Delta 22-580 and also the DeWalt 733 and 735, so it's probably just a matter of how much you want to spend. Also, it may be somewhat difficult to find the DeWalt 733 these days. For your reference, I believe the cheapest place you can get the Delta 22-580 right how is through Woodworker's Supply. If you're a new customer you get a 10% discount on top of that. Their shipping charge is surprisingly low for such a big and heavy item.

Reply to
NoNameAtAll

Dennis - There's been several threads lately on planers. One I started myself - DAGS to find them.

I just bought a Ridgid from HD - $299, regularly $399. I did research, and was leaning from DW 735, to 734, to a used 733 available here locally (except they wanted $400 for it - no way!!). One of the recent threads talks about problems with the sprokets on the DW735 breaking. The major complaint on the DW 733 seemed to be the difficulty of changing knives, which they appearantly corrected on the 734 & 735. This stuff, and the price kind of lead me to decide to buy the Delta 22-580.

I found an older article on a GS that rated the Delta #1, and especially mentioned how quiet it was (as did someone else on the reply to your post). Also, low snipe, etc. They have them at Lowes here, but price is around $450. I was ready to buy it, when I was trolling through HD (for the expected Bessy K body clamp sale!), and saw the Ridgid marked down. I went back home, and found the article that rated the Delta #1, and found that the Ridgid was rated #2. Same good comments, including low snipe. That and the whopping price difference made the choice easy for me. Back to HD, and bought the Ridgid (TP 1300).

The Ridgid came with the stand, extra set of knives, and dust collector attachment. Pretty good deal - I think that stuff is extra on the Delta. I set up the stand last night, but didn't have time to get the machine working. I'll post my results when I get it going - maybe this weekend!! :-) I can hardley wait -

Nick B

Reply to
Nick Bozovich

The Feb '04 Popular Woodworking mag has a review on 13" portable planers.

1) Dewalt DW735 - Editor's Choice 2) Delta 22-580 - Best Buy 3) Craftsman 21743

Worth reading,

HTH, Ron

Reply to
Ron