I am new to this group(s) but have been woodworking for over 30 years and am seeking advice about purchasing a new wood lathe
I used to work with old single speed ... stationary head ... 1.5 hp Rockwell 12 inch lathe I realize how much I miss it
Info that may help with your advice
* My budget is about $1000 (for the lathe itself)
* I have searched Usenet looking for recent similar postings
* I have been to woodcraft and they advise the Jet VS Pro (JWL-1442VSK)
* I have compared features ... but it has been so long since I have worked with a wood lathe ... I really feel I need the advice of professionals
* At present I have no particular project in mind ... but in the past I have done things such as bowls ... pedestals ... table legs ... and stair rails ... so I am looking for something sturdy and versatile
What features should I look for?
* 360 degree swivel headstock?
* Variable speed (how variable)?
* Reversible turning direction?
As to Lathe tools ... Like any cutting tool ... the better the quality ... the longer the edge will hold ...
Any advice as to brand would also help here ... I personally use CASE or Miller Falls wood chisels and find them both to be excellent
What is your advice as far as which tools to start out with?
I looked at the Sorby tools at Woodcraft and liked the heft of the tool ... but the handles seem a bit cheap
Thanks for your time ... sorry for all the questions from a newbie ...