Is this Craftsman lathe worth buying?

I am looking at a Craftsman lathe model # 113.228000C that a guy wants to sell for $200 Canadian (about $150 US). It is on a stand and comes with Craftsman chisels of unknown quality.

I am not really in the market for a lathe just yet but if this is a potential gloat I wouldn't want to miss it!

Any thoughts and opinions welcome.

Best Regards, Jack Fearnley

Reply to
Jack Fearnley

Jack,

Although many of us here own a lath, your question would probably get a better response if asked over in * rec.crafts.woodturning *

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

This isn't the best NG to post your question. There are a lot of Craftsman bashers on here.

Anyway, I say GO FOR IT. I had a C'man lathe years ago and I'm still kicking myself for ever selling it.

Cheers. Joe

Jack Fearnley wrote:

Reply to
Joe_Stein

Robatoy

Well they still have a whole list of parts available at sears.com

can se in the diagram the bed is a single pole. I think it would be a good deal for a learner tool if it works. Those chisels are very expensive new and better if they are the HSS ones.

Reply to
AAvK

Here's your chance to redeem yourself if you live anywhere near NE FL. I have one, with a substantial shop built stand and a set of Craftsman chisels, plus several accessories (face plates, tool rests, centers, etc.). $150

Reply to
LRod

this is an OK price, depending on how many chisels are included....

Reply to
bridger

They certainly wouldn't share anything negative about quality or know about resale prices.

While I don't know much about turning, I'm not asking the group to teach me. I read lots of useful information about different models of equipment on this group and I was hoping to get some guidance.

Best Regards, Jack Fearnley

Reply to
Jack Fearnley

It can be a good lathe to start out on and the price seems to be about right. Ir you get into serious turning, and bigger turnings. you will want something better. I started out on a small 4 speed Atlas. I worked it to death for 2 years, and then traded up. robo hippy

Reply to
robo hippy

I had one of those.

I recently sold it for $100. It served me well for a decade of light use. $150 is not a gloat but not unreasonable either.

I replaced it with a JET 1442. Mostly because the quality was so so and it was engineered to be fussy to use. For instance, the lock on the tool rest

2" handle that encapsulates a nut on a spring. To use it, turn, hit bench, pull out reposition turn repeat...... Which is not to say that it did not work... it was just not elegant.

It's a good starter lathe but I'd dicker a bit.

-Steve

Reply to
C & S

Thanks to all for the prompt feedback. I have decided against the purchase. When I am ready for it I'll buy a decent lathe and learn properly on it.

Best Regards, Jack Fearnley

Reply to
Jack Fearnley

Jack Fearnley wrote in news:7HKle.27558$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

Are you a tool collector? A 'producer'? An explorer/learner?

Who you are, and why you have tools, should tell you more about whether you should part with some of your money to buy this lathe.

If you buy just to gloat, then you have to go quite a ways to top the fellow who reported that he brought home a vintage Unisaw for $100 last week from a friend's father's estate.

You ought to be able to get your money back, if it turns out you don't like turning. Personally, I found that turning is a quite satisfying, and somewhat addictive pastime.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Reply to
Rob Mills

Thanks Patriarch, you've sealed it for me. I've always been fearful of buying a lathe. I figure if I do, I'll have hundreds of tables legs - and no tables. Thousands of banister spindles, and no railings and more bowls than I could use in a lifetime!!!! LOL.

Reply to
D Steck

I have one of these and they are fine and work well for a starter. I made many early american tables and other turnings over the years. I will say this, I bought mine for about $300 about 35 years ago and built my own stand (the motor may have been extra). About a year ago, you could buy the same thing at Home Depot for about $200 on sale (regular price was about $300) that had some improvements over mine and it included the motor and the stand. I swear that most of it was built with the same tooling as mine was. How do you like that for reverse inflation??

Reply to
eganders

========================== Very true... I have my Dads Craftsman 6 inch thickness planer "on display" in my shop... Manufactured in 1939.... whcih makes it 4 years older then I am... Anyhow I was going to restore it .after I saw that Sears had the parts.... LISTED ! BUT not available...

It still works..BTW.... and IT has to weight close to a ton...

Bob Griffiths .

Reply to
Bob G.

Jack- it's a fine starter lathe at a decent price. if you don't enjoy turning you will be able to get your money back out of it. if you do enjoy turning you can make enough stuff on it to pay for a better lathe. go ahead, buy it. the craftsman chisels are completely serviceable- you may even want to keep them when you sell the lathe. heck, you may find that the lathe meets your needs exactly and just keep it....

Reply to
bridger

That is interesting from both of you as experienced, they list the parts as "in stock", so in many cases they are not! I have learned. You'd think they were smart enough to use a bar code system that would auto-update the stock list that would update the website for cripes sakes, that should "urk" anyones goat!

Reply to
AAvK

Just to mention it for learning level and price, the current Sears lathes are designed and made by Palmgren (USA), made in the east, same with several other Sears bench top tools.

AAvK

Jack I'd bought a used craftsman lathe and chisel set and it was a great starter for me I bought it for $150 and sold it for $125 without the chisel set I used it for a 3 years untill I upgraded to a used "old Delta/Rockwell which has served me well for the last 14 years If you figure the chisel set and stand are worth about $ 99 each new your looking at a decent deal for $150. If you can knock it down lower - the deal may turn into a gloat ;)

BTW the chisels are still in my shop - although they're starting to look pretty short and will probally retire soon They always worked well for me

Jim

Reply to
WhiteBuffalo32