Aetco or Craftsman Lathe Chisel?

I need a 1/2 inch spindle chisel for my lathe, and I have choice between an Aetco or a Sears Craftsman (for 10 bucks). Which would you choose?

Thanks,

S.

Reply to
samson

New Craptsman, er ah Craftsman are HSS, I have no idea if the Aetco is, but I will bet it's not. Always take HSS over High Carbon. Another choice is the red handled set from a Harbor Freight store (not available on-line)

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

A stick with a sharp rock on the end...

I bought a very simple, and very thin, (shudder) spindle gouge at Sears a few years ago and it worked, I guess.... No idea who/what Aetco is...

Bottom line is that you get what you pay for.... as in any tool, cheap can translate into dangerous quickly, so be very careful with whichever one you choose, being especially careful not to extend the chisel over the tool rest any more than possible..

You are, I hope, wearing eye/face protection?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

If you truly mean a chisel for planing and paring I'd suggest High Speed (higher temperature) Steel over carbon, which would be my choice for finish work. Other than that, price and handle, though even that's modifiable.

It's not a prying tool, so section isn't all that important. A close tool rest and good anchor of the tool to the rest is.

If a gouge is what you mean, I'd choose the one with the most consistent section from flute to back. Makes your cuts easier. Bucks were (?are?) good steel, and if you want to see some of the C-man types in action, tune into Roy Underhill. They work fine too.

Reply to
George