The borg strikes back

Within the last few weeks I read on the wreck about Home Depots hand tool sale wherein if you buy $50 you get a gift card for $20. buy $100 get back $40, etc.

I saw where several folks talked about picking up some Bessey K-Body Clamps there under this promotion. They said that they were told that clamps qualify. Well, Sunday afternoon I cracked open my piggy bank and scraped up a hundred clams to do the same. Came away with 2 50 inch K-Bodys and two small clamps for $103.

As I started filling out the required form to mail in, I realized that the required UPC codes for the 2 smaller clamps were stamped into the handle, not on a sticker like on the Big Besseys. So being a good consumer I called the toll free number (1-800-317-5792) on the form to ask them what I should do. I explained the situation to the person who I eventually talked to. She asked if I had the UPC codes. She would punch them into her computer and see what it said. I gave her the code for the small clamps. She said that they didn't qualify for the gift card because they were not a hand tool. I gave her the UPC code for the Big Besseys. She said they didn't qualify either. I asked , and spoke to a supervisor. She repeated the same thing. I told her that at the store they said any unpowered tool qualified. She said they were wrong.

Bottom Line - if anybody sent in their forms for this "Gift Card" promotion, it doesnt look like they will get their 40% off, just a nice letter.

I know today was the last day of this "special deal", but I figured folks out there should know.

Joey

Reply to
joeyb

And so the games begin... :-(

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Their promotional displays at the store entrance and at the tool department entrance clearly stated any hand tool would qualify. If a level or tape measure or plastic tool box qualifies, then clamps will too. I had the clear impression that _anything_ inside the tool department that didn't have a cord or battery would qualify as a hand tool. I suppose they could make the argument that only the hammers and hand saws are hand tools and anything else is just a thingamajig but I don't think that will fly. If they wanted to label only certain tools as qualifying items, they needed to do that up front, on the signs and on the mail in coupons.

I think those people probably didn't know what they were talking about. I mean really...how can a plastic tool box (which I saw mounted on more than one display in more than one store) qualify as a hand tool but clamps do not?

Jeff ____________________________________________ You won't notice the splinters in the ladder of success, unless you are sliding down.

Reply to
jbacke

Take a look at Home Depots web site and see if clamps are listed under hand tools. I think the answer is yes. They may have some explaning to do.

Reply to
Jim Toomb

I missed the whole promotion, fortunately, but hey... a clamp is not a hand tool. Sure, it performs a function, and is used by your hand; but so does a paint brush, a fork, sandpaper, or even a keyboard. Are they hand tools? Then almost everything is.

Reply to
Wade Lippman

Wade Lippman responds:

When did paintbrushes, forks and sandpaper leave the handtool category? A keyboard is a whole nother thing, since it needs electricity.

And you're right. Almost everything is a handtool if it is used by hand, and there is now power requirement outside the human hand's motive power.

Charlie Self "Ain't no man can avoid being born average, but there ain't no man got to be common." Satchel Paige

Reply to
Charlie Self

Did you ask her how you either plug it in or pedal it ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

A clamp is a hand tool according to their web site, and they were clear enough about what tools don't qualify. From their site:

"Offer includes all hardware department and electrical department hand tools. Offer does not include power tools. Offer does not include hand tools from lawn & garden, drywall, plumbing and flooring departments. Offer valid now through November 5, 2003. Redemption forms must be postmarked by November 19, 2003 and received by December 3, 2003. "

I see they have extended the promotion too. Maybe I should go get some more clamps

Jeff ____________________________________________ You won't notice the splinters in the ladder of success, unless you are sliding down.

Reply to
jbacke

From dictionary.com Tool: A device, such as a saw, used to perform or facilitate manual or mechanical work.

Doesn't really settle any debates I suppose.

Reply to
Mike Reed

If you consider pressing two things tightly together for hours on end 'work' (and I think most of us would)...then I think it is settled.

Reply to
Chris Merrill

My Jorge's just keep looking better and better.

Reply to
Bob Gramza

And this is from the redemption form, which is more explicit:

*Offer includes all hardware department hand tools and electrical department Klein and Greenlee hand tools. Qualifying hand tools include hammers, tape measures, mechanic?s tools, cutting tools, screw drivers, adjustable wrenches and pliers, files, specialty tools, replacement handles, wrecking or pry bars, levels, stud sensors, marking and layout tools and supplies. Offer does not include hand tools from lawn and garden, paint, drywall, plumbing and flooring departments.

So I guess if they don't consider a clamp to be a hand tool, then maybe they won't qualify. Something is wrong though, if they can qualify marking tools (pencils, chalk) and supplies (glue, sandpaper, etc.) but can't see a clamp as a hand tool.

If they don't honor my clamp purchase, I'll be a bit pissed for awhile but these are clamps I wanted anyway so I'll get over it. It just would have been nice to get these generally overpriced items at a discount.

Jeff ____________________________________________ You won't notice the splinters in the ladder of success, unless you are sliding down.

Reply to
jbacke

Reply to
George

The above says, "Qualifying hand tools include..." not, "Qualifying hand tools are limited to..." I don't think it necessarily eliminates clamps from the definition. I think this is the kind of thing that, if you don't get it initially, you could get the gift card if you made a big enough stink. It probably depends on how much noise you want to make about it. My guess is that you won't have a problem and all will be fine.

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Pearce

Ah, a sane man! ;>)

That will likely be my reaction also.

However, and just for kicks, I sent the following at their "Contact Us" screen at:

was assured, PRIOR TO PURCHASE, by the personnel in the Hand Tool department of my local Home Depot that the 4 Bessey K Body clamps I recently bought were qualifying items for your recent "Hand Tool Gift Card" rebate promotion.

I have heretofore mailed in my receipt and UPC codes within the time limits specified on said promotional literature.

I am now hearing, online, that my purchase of the above items does not qualify for the Gift Card rebate?

These particular items were not excluded on the rebate form, they are listed in the Hand Tool section of your website, they were physically located in the Hand Tool section of your store, and I was assured by store personnel that they DID qualify for the Gift Card Rebate promotion.

Can you please clarify this issue ASAP?

Be aware that should my Bessey KBody clamp purchase NOT qualify, I will definitely be a most dissatisfied customer and will return the items to you immediately.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I recommend that anyone else who bought the clamps do the same ... feel free to use any part of the above. We'll see what they say.

Reply to
Swingman

Wade:

The sale has been extended until the 5th according to their web site.

The information is NOT complete as to what tools are in or out. Specifically, the wording is:

"all hardware department and electrical department hand toos. Offer does not include power tools".

On their redemption form, they list which tools qualify, clamps are not on that list. But they also say: "specialty tools". Hmm, clamps are kind of "special" aren't they?

MJ Wallace

Reply to
MJ Wallace

Heh heh...so true!

Reply to
Chris Merrill

Thank You!!

I want a dado and maybe other wood stuff, but I question they would qualify.

But I do need a decent set of levels. If I were to get a chunk back to spend on something else I could spend some money on levels and lay out stuff.

Luckily The Wife has never made an issue of my buying tools. Long as I use them.

Reply to
Mark

I sent them a similar message this morning, seeking clarification but didn't threaten to return the clamps.

I still think clamps are hand tools and we'll get the stinkin' gift cards.

If I get a reply to my email, I'll post it here.

Jeff ____________________________________________ You won't notice the splinters in the ladder of success, unless you are sliding down.

Reply to
jbacke

Seems to me, that when a clamp is applied and glue is squeezed from the joint, that movement has occured. Hence, work has been done. So there!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Richmond - MD6-FDC ~