What I Got For Christmas Thread

Got a leather Everlast body bag.

The canvas one was wore out.

This one seems too soft.

Further Away Than Yesterday

Tom Watson

Wow ! I got a body bag too !

Rubbery vinyl with a nylon weave backing, looks like it's treated to resist odor absorbtion and for ease of cleaning. A cool head to toe zipper and two handles on the side and one loop at each end. Funny thing is, the card said,

"I hope I see you in it soon! Love, your ex-wife

Tom in KY, still kicking, although I have been smelling anti freeze when I burp.

Reply to
squarei4dtoolguy

Sorry Tom,

Actually I got a gift certificate for the 'bay. So I came up with an old Stanley # 8. I love Santa Clause again.

Tom in KY

Reply to
squarei4dtoolguy

Ya know, Bubba, it ain't exactly the same thing, although I can appreciate your ex's sentiments.

Further Away Than Yesterday

Tom Watson

Now I know a chainsaw ain't a proper woodworking tool, but I wanted one anyway. I figure folks just have a right to expect a feller like me to have a chainsaw, even if my fireplace has gas logs in it. And I got a real proper leather shop apron with flaps over the pockets to keep the sawdust out. I'm really gonna like it. And a incra rule, cause my eyes ain't what they used to be. And several other nice toys and not even one tie or shirt!

DonkeyHody "I'd rather expect the best of people and be wrong than expect the worst and be right."

Reply to
DonkeyHody

You should have a decent body bag and a good speed bag.

Both of these together will go for about a hundred and fifty bucks.

You should also have a set of free weights.

You don't need more than 250 pounds because you want to do reps, not mass. These should cost no more that eighty bucks.

A half way decent bench is only about 150 bucks.

When you start out, it's OK if you can only press your weight - unless you're a fat sloppy bastard - then, I'd back off to 150 and work your way up.

Your road work will consist of two miles at a brisk pace, to start.

You'll then go to five, then seven, then ten.

Once you get to ten, you'll go for time.

You need to be able to do ten in less than an hour.

Then you need to do wind sprints.

Buy good Everlast gloves and put a quarter pound weight on each wrist.

Work on simple combinations at first - one low, one high.

When you are ready - throw two quick ones from the slow side and finish with the deathblow from the smart hand.

Try as hard as you can not to have a smart hand - but everyone does.

When you work the speed bag - give it two shots from one hand and one from the other - work on your speed - and then change it so that it is backwards of what you did before - work on your speed.

When you work the body bag - this is the only time that you are allowed to roundhouse. Two straight shots from the weak hand, followed by a straight shot to the center - followed by a roundhouse rib shot.

This is a difficult combination to learn but it is worthwhile.

If you are strong enough, the rib shot will win for you.

Not immediately, but down the road.

If you will ever be good, that rib shot will come from the strong side

- and it can be devastating.

Keep your hands in close to your face and your elbows close to your side.

Do not get fooled by head fakes.

If your man goes low for the body, protect and defend, but look for the high opportunity.

Watch out for headhunter dancers. They wear themselves out and you can take them in a later round.

Fear body punchers, for their throws are short and efficient - and they waste no ammo.

You need to keep your elbows down and wait for the opening up top.

Remember, regardless of what most boxing movies show, the game is all about what happens with your elbows tucked and your punches short.

Most body punchers can take almost any head punch that you can throw. But that is still the best way to stop them, unless they're pigheaded.

Sometimes a committed body puncher can be made to see reason by ringing his freaking bell.

But, you often need to body punch a body puncher. He'll have a weak side. Your corner will tell you, if you don't read it.

If you can soften up a side, like he will be trying like hell to do to you, that is a good way in.

I'll tell you what - by this point you have to be three rounds in. If you've made it this far - I don't have damned thing to tell you but don't spit out your mouthpiece and keep breathing as deep as you can.

Besides keeping your elbows tucked and your chin.

Ding Ding... Further Away Than Yesterday

Tom Watson

I did a search on Amazon and came up with nothing when I entered Further Away Than Yesterday.

I got it ! You got a George Foreman Grill !!

Tom in KY

Reply to
squarei4dtoolguy

Got a nice 9' St. Croix fly rod and a House of Hardy reel. This is one slippery slope too - just like woodworking but I can tie the two together easily. Making a reel winder (like the one from Orvis) and plan to make several different size net frames to try some simple steam bending. Anyone know where to buy fish netting material?

As I recall Tom, don't you do a bit of fishing in your backyard?

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S

Yes I do.

And I envy you both your rod and reel.

I have a "White River" which I believe to be a Chinese knockoff off an Orvis small reel.

It works well enough - it certainly works better than I do.

In the small streams of Pennsyltucky where I fish, it's the line, more than the reel, or even the rod, that tells the tale.

I have a fat forward line from Orvis that shoots into pocket water very well.

Got afast action eight footer that helps out also.

The fish are small but the fun is big.

Good onya, BobS.

Further Away Than Yesterday

Tom Watson

Reply to
DonkeyHody

OK, this almost becomes a gloat. SWMBO got me the Grizzly G0555 Band Saw with riser block and mobile base. Mom got me the PC 4212 Dovetail Jig. SWMBO followed it up with "The Workbench Book" by Lon Schleining. Definitely nothing to whine about!

DJ

Reply to
djazz

had meant it to be to Lee Valley. =o ) Lie-Nielsen's is just a short trip from here and I've meant to stop in and look around. Think I'll use part of my Christmas bonus on a trip to Lee Valley's web site. Perhaps a Talon chuck for my lathe.

Happy New Year All, Lenny

Lenny

Experience.

As is only reasonable.

Nah. George charges too much. I have a Weber.

Better you than me.

Further Away Than Yesterday

Tom Watson

I wrote.

You wrote.

You got something against the bluegrass state?

We've got trout streams, bass lakes, sawmills in almost every county, horses, bourbon, mountains, forests, deer, elk, electricity, farmland, crank labs, tobacco beds, rivers, horse racing, Louisville Sluggers, upland hunting, wetland hunting, wild turkeys, Hey! Mohammed Ali grew up in Louisville! It can't be all that bad. Maybe you should visit sometime. Sandy and I could take you fishing. We could pretend that they're just not biting while we keep you away from our honey-holes:-)

I enjoy your writing and I respect your opinions as much as anyone on this NG. Don't take my smart a$$ remarks too seriously.

Have a good day Tom,

Tom in KY

Reply to
squarei4dtoolguy

Would it be OK if I moved there?

Further Away Than Yesterday

Tom Watson

Yeah, sure, But I can tell already, you're out to steal all of my honey holes and if I had any bourbon, you'd probably help yourself to that too:-)

Tom in, well, you know where.

Reply to
squarei4dtoolguy

You're right about the fishing.

But, I'm a confirmed Irish Whiskey (Tullamore Dew) drinker. (Amen)

Better watch out. I might be moving, based on your advertisement.

I can have the whiskey shipped in - but good bass fishing don't export well.

Further Away Than Yesterday

Tom Watson

Kentucky Lake is a respected fishery by most major bass tournament sponsors and organizers. I live about an hour and a half from there with a boat in tow. The smallmouth are biting on suspended jigs right now. Dale Hollow to the south is also seeing the smallmouth bite. My uncle is fishing a tournament tomorrow. Cumberland River is pretty good, Green river Lake is great for muskie and walleye. Nolin River Lake, good. Barren River Lake,, I've not had luck there. Winter pooling /staging may be keeping that river from being a great producer. Yep, BYOB if you want.

I'm only one hour from the Fort Campbell WMA, trout streams there.Lots of small water-shed lakes and ponds too. But the closest water to my place is Green River. Too much barge traffic (I believe)along with a really dry summer has ruined the fishing for this year. There are a few catfish pulled out of there that will make you think twice about putting a bare foot in the water. 2 years ago there was a 97lb. cat caught on a jug line. Last year we were night fishing and saw a jug running about 20-30mph across the surface before being pulled under. Several other guys saw it and that may become the new urban legend here, The Jug Fishing Ghost?

Tom in KY, got more fish tales.

Reply to
squarei4dtoolguy

You also have Ricky Skaggs, my most favoritest musician on earth.

(watson - who still likes Beethoven pretty good, but thinks that Ricky runs a close second.)

Further Away Than Yesterday

Tom Watson

Yeah, also; Ohio county to my east, home of Bill Monroe; Muhlenburg county to the south, home of the Everly Brothers; Hopkins county to my west, home of Mila Mason; Daviess county to my north, home of the Blue Grass Museum and home of Johnny Depp and The Nascar Waltrip boys. A regular hot-bed of crazies.

I like all three of the classical B's but you'll hear Ricky on the radio more often.

Reply to
squarei4dtoolguy