Jimmy Carter website

Is there a good website with some of Jimmy carter's woodworking. I would love to see his work up close.

Thanks

Reply to
GregHansen

I saw Jimmy Carter on the Daily show a week or so ago and was really intrigued by the enthusiasm in his voice when he talked about woodworking. Apparently he's got his own shop and loves to make furniture, and at Camp David he would sneak out to the carpenter's shed to work off tension. Sounds like he'd be a fun person to have over for dinner and 'talk shop' with.

Dave

These are the articles I've found via Google:

Reply to
David Stuve

I hope he's a better woodworker than he was a president.

Reply to
CW

"CW" wrote

No doubt he is a better human than a top posting troll.

Reply to
SuperNova

Jimmy Carter, IMHO, was too Good a Man for the office he held.

Lenny

Reply to
Lenny

"Apparently he's got his own shop and loves to make furniture,"

"I hope he's a better woodworker than he was a president."

He was given a complete wood shop when he left office. He quietly made nice green wood rocking chairs at his home in Plains Georgia for a little while then he decided to interject himself into world affairs where he has been about as correct as he was in his Presidential days.Too bad all past Presidents can't keep their mouths shut as Pres. Reagan and First Pres. Bush did for instance.

Walt Conner

Reply to
WALTER D. CONNER

I remember thinking at the time he was a pretty lame president. However, considering our past several presidents, I'm starting to think he was pretty good.

-- Frank Stutzman

Reply to
Frank Stutzman

I was a volunteer at the Habitat for Humanity Blitz Build in Watts, LA about 10 years ago. All of the volunteers (over 1000 of us) met at the USC campus for the big Rah-Rah speeches to kick the week off. Jimmy, of course, was the keynote. When he was done, he came and sat in the crowd with the rest of us - right next to me (along with his SS guys). We exchanged greetings and shook hands.

I wasn't able to get near him the rest of the week, but he and his wife were out swinging hammers with everyone else.

I was surprised at how short he really is. Otherwise, he seemed like a pretty "regular" guy.

Reply to
Saudade

Apparently the group isn't aware of what President and Mrs. Carter have accomplished since their White House days. If you are interested, check out

TinWoodsmn

Why do ex-presidents have to keep their mouths shut? Freedom of speech is the absolute cornerstone of our democracy, and should be encouraged. I think Bush and Reagan kept their mouths shut becuase in their heart of hearts they really didn't give a crap about the rest of us. When Mad King George gets impeached or manages to somehow cling to office through the rest of his term, he's going to go back to fishing and golf, and will never look back. Like him or not, Carter seems to really want to keep trying to make the world a better place.

Why can't we talk about Carter's love of woodworking on the wreck here without people feeling the need to rip on him as president? I wish he was president right now instead of the lying loser we currently have. Besides - Carter got a bum rap - Nixon and Ford left him with a world angry at the US and an economy addicted to cheap oil.. And everyone seems to forget that Reagan committed high treason when he negotiated with the Iranians to keep the hostages longer to hurt Carter in the election. And as a final insult, conservative columnist George Will delivered a stolen copy of Carter's debate briefing notebook to Reagan, making sure that Reagan had memorized catchy combacks to Carter's debate points - making it look like Reagan actually understood the issues. A shameful time in our country's great history.

Dave

Reply to
David Stuve

Check Fine Woodworking Issue 174 for an interview type article and issue 167 Reader's Gallery for an eample of his work.

Reply to
Russ Stanton

Well the fact is that Reagan kept his mouth shut because his people quit writing scripts for him.

In the thirty years befor Camp David Egypt and Israel went to war four times In the thrity years since, not once. He helped make the world a better place.

Reply to
fredfighter

Same reason retired CEO's of corporations keep their opinions to themselves. They are no longer running things and because of their previous position of authority, some within the various agencies who report to the sitting president may tend to act more in line with the prior leader's wishes than the current leader's wishes.

This is more protocol and maintaining a reasonable sense of decorum. Those former presidents had their 4 or 8 years to shape the landscape of American life. To continue to attempt to influence events beyond supporting their party's activities gives the appearance of attempting to undermine the sitting president. Most of the former presidents have had the dignity and wisdom to realize what that kind of activity during their terms would have meant. How do you think that kind of thing looks to the rest of the world (something about "a house divided" comes to mind).

... and Truman, and Ike, and LBJ, and all of their predecessors who survived their terms. Yep, none of them cared about the rest of their constituents.

Going to Havana and praising their health care system while excoriating our own country was a real good move in that direction. He'd have been better though of if he had stuck to habitat for humanity and woodworking. Now he just appears to be a bitter old defeated politician trying to claim another few minutes in the spotlight.

A former president(s) criticizing the sitting president in a time of war on that war and military action does not help make the world a better place. In fact, it most likely emboldens those whom we are fighting and in so doing, puts our troops at more risk because the enemy will fight harder knowing there is a possible source of division that they can exploit.

Probably would have been a good thing. Funny thing was, that there was really only one comment made in that vein. Now you've managed to turn that into an excoriation of not just the sitting president, but all former presidents who didn't share your party affiliation or apparent left-wing views.

Why does one fairly mild comment regarding an ex-president have to lead to a diatribe and interjection of one's personal politics against the sitting president and several former presidents? You could have taken the high road and ignored the comment, keeping this on the topic of woodworking but chose instead to interject your own personal, vitriolic politics into this thread.

...assuming for a moment that your opinions are correct, he successfully fixed this, how?

You forgot your tinfoil hat and forgot to mention the Bush SR-71 trip to Iran. ;-)

Do you realize how illogical your statement is? Why in @#$% would the Iranians want to have Carter defeated? He was the best friend they had compared to what they knew would occur under Reagan. (Yeah, let's support he person who is going to more than threaten military action against us and send in more than a couple of helicopters. Really brilliant logic there.)

So one comment regarding the ex-president becomes a political diatribe of paranoid conspiracy theories. Certainly the other side never did anything similar. Let's see, a couple of grandparents going Christmas shopping in Florida turn on the cell phone receiver in their Cadillac (don't all Caddies come with that option) and just happen to hear Newt Gingrich discussing political strategy and then turn on the tape recorder (that apparently comes with the Cadillac cell phone receiver). Seems there was a similar instance in the prior debates that went the other direction. Doesn't make it right, just makes sure that people realize that the other side is not pristine in this issue.

Do you want to talk shameful? How about

1) Holding a news story until the Saturday before an election, then releasing it in order to provide a last-minute shock to the election process 2) Forging documents that supposedly showed that the sitting president had received favorable treatment in the National Guard and getting those documents promulgated by the main-stream media (anxious for anything it could get to damage the president whether true or not) 3) Knowing that your candidate in New Jersey (under indictment for bribery) was going to lose the election, having him drop out after the deadline for withdrawing, then getting the state supreme court to allow breaking the state law that indicated "no changes to ballots could be within 90 days before an election"

Something about "people who live in glass houses" comes to mind here.

There was never any doubt that Reagan understood the issues, he had been active since the mid-60's in identifying the direction he thought the country should be headed and and what the US needed to do to unleash the creativity and abilities of its citizens. Do you really think the Republicans needed Jimmy's notebook to know what his positions were? [Well, then again, maybe they needed the notebooks to know what positions he was going to express, not necessarily what position he held]

Mark & Juanita

Maybe some people rip him for the same reason you rip Bush. Some people can never leave politics out of anything.

David Stuve wrote:

Reply to
Joseph Connors

Do you think 2 presidents in a row would be impeached? LOL

Reply to
Leon

IIUC, your reasoning is that anyone, not merely a former president, who voices any objections to any policies, no matter how heinous, of the present President is 'undermining' the sitting President.

That is like saying that everyone is free to practice whatever religion they chose so long as it involves a belief in God and is consistant with the doctrines of certain Protestant sects and so long as they don't mind their children being led in Protestant prayers and taught Protestant doctrine in the public schools.

It looks to the rest of the world that freedom STILL means something in the US.

He's made a few blunders though never anything that could be attributed to less than noble motives.

That is unmitigated crap. Americans who understand that the sitting President is leading the country to ruin and the war to defeat have a duty to voice their opposition. The President of the United States of America is the commander-in-chief of the Armed Forces, NOT the citizenry.

If I thought that if we all were to march in lockstep behind the President then our enemies will lay down their arms and quit fighting I'd be the first in line to kiss his ass.

Hmm, reminds me of a converstaion between a pot and a kettle.

I too, wish he were President now. Or at the very least I wish we had another Christian president.

Adding, rather than injecting. He could also have crossposted to a newsgroup where political discussions are on-topic, and set followups there as well. That is the way UseNet is supposed to be used.

The Camp David Accords were the first, and to date the only major, progress to peace in the Middle East in two generations.

Indeed, the treason came later when arms were sold (giving aid and comfort) to an enemy nation.

Aside from the observation that the Ayatolla wasn't exactly playing with a full deck he had painted himself into a corner. He had demanded that the Shah be exchanged for the hostages. Once the Shah had moved to Switzwerland, it was beyond the power of the US to return him, but the Ayatolla could not release the hostages without losing face.

Claiming responsibility for forcing Carter out of office gave him the opportunity get out that situation without losing face.

Carter never sold arms to Iran. Reagan did. Of course Reagan also was happy to arm Iraq. He was Sadam Hussein's best friend too, or rather Baldridge was.

Pretty bad.

I suspect the documents were forged by Bush supporters, knowing that it they were used, they'd be exposed as forgeries and would by association discredit the story CBS was already going to run based on interviews. Just my personal conspiracy theory.

How about calling McCain "the Manchurian Candidate" and claiming he had an illegitmate black child?

How about claiming that Ann RIchards was a Lesbian?

How about submitted forged documents to the IAEA, obstructing the same weapons inspection program the Bush administration had demanded only a few months earlier?

How about Bush refusing to testify under oath before his own 9-11 comission? How about Cheney and RIce ALSO refusing to testify under oath? How about Alberto Gonzales comitting perjury at his own confirmation hearings for Attorney General?

How about rendition? How about the Bybee memo?

How about if we prosecute the crimes of the present, as a deterrant to future crime, rather than using past crimes to excuse them?

Reply to
fredfighter

PBS sometimes runs biographical pieces on the ecent President as part of their _American Experience_ series.

Either as part of that series or a separate program about Ronald Reagan showed him working on his ranch. During the time between the Republican convention of of 1976 and the 1980 Presidential campaign he spent a lot of time building a _very _ strudy wooden fence around a paddock and near to it. Evidently it was built using trees felled from the property.

Reply to
fredfighter

You know, you're right Mark. I should have stuck to woodworking; I should never type angry. Politically, I'm a moderate born of Republican parents. In fact, I still get signed pictures and love letters from Bush & Cheney hoping I'll become a big donor. The politics of this country have turned so far right that I guess I do look like a leftie.

I see red when people blindly spout the party line - Clinton and Carter are to blame for everything, and the Republicans are the party of "Middle American Values (tm)". I can't even listen to the AM dial on the radio any more due to right-wing talk shows frothing about those evil liberals, how good outsourcing is for the economy, and how GW is the second coming.

Like many presidents before him, GW, or as I like to call him "Mad King George" has much to be ashamed of, but his are of an almost incredible magnitude - and all of which should make Conservatives angry:

-ignoring warnings about Bin Ladin because Clinton was "obsessed with him"

-ignoring North Korea because Clinton was so interested in making deals with him

-using 9/11 to satisfy his personal score with Saddam (-Iran was headed in a moderate direction until we invaded Iraq, the population panicked and elected a crazy man who will cause us grief in the future)

-lying and using forged uranium documents to justify the war

-torturing prisoners of war

-maintaining a network of secret prisons around the world to hide the torture

-running up massive deficits that we'll be paying for decades

-outing a CIA agent active in nuclear arms proliferation work

-doing nothing after 9/11 to stop the greatest layoff of American workers we've ever seen

-losing America's most important port city to hurricane Katrina - and then lying and saying he was never asked for help

-never firing people for screwing up badly - only those who disagree with him

-*and this just in, he's had the NSA spying on Americans* with no Judicial oversight

Did we win the cold war? Or did we just absorb the bad behavior of the Stalinists?

Oops, as Reagan famously quipped: there I go again. Off to the woodshop to atone for my rant... I'm making sliding drawers for my kitchen cabinets. Fun stuff.

Dave

Reply to
David Stuve