cabinet facing for garage

Will be putting doors on garage shelving to keep out wood dust (try anyway). Will need to put facings on top of 2x4 cross pieces, on which I can mount hinges and hang the doors. Big Doors.

Will 3/4" ash be sufficient (will it hold), or do I need to use Oak?

Reply to
Chris Carruth

Southern Yellow Pine will work providing your doors don't weigh over 50 or

60 pounds.

Do you have any other details. The length of the screws and number of hinges you use will have a big determining factor as to how much weight you can carry concerning the doors.

Reply to
Leon

I used 3/4" Baltic birch plywood. Looks good and is still straight = after 20 years.

--=20 PDQ

Reply to
PDQ

"If" you can find a decent sheet or two exterior plywood like a/c or a/b, you could use that for doors in a exterior non heated garage. A/C would be my first choice but quality is a real issue with plywood these days, so be picky.

Chris Carruth wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

"big" doors get heavy quickly. How big are we talking about and how are you planning to hang them? IF you are talking about "flap" doors with the hinges on top that hang down, then, "raised panel" doors with 3/4" frames and 1/4" plywood panels will work fine. Shucks...a rectangle of 1/4" plywood of the appropriate size, with moldings to build the edge up to 3/4" or so would work well enough. If you are talking about standard, side-hung doors...might want to crank up to 1/2" plywood panels, with 5/8" framing. I would suggest, though, that you seriously consider getting a decent dust collector. I have had the Grizzyly 1029 model for some time now, and, find that it does a great job (even with just the standard bags) of keeping the shop dust free. I let it run 10-15 minutes after finishing up, and, the air is nicely cleaned out. Getting the finer filter bags helps even more. It is great to have collector lines run through the shop, to each machine, but one can do quite well with a 20' or so corregated plastic hose that gets dragged here and there. It is always easier to collect at the source and remove the dust than it is to go back and chase it down through the entire shop. Regards Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt