Sketchup grief again/still...

I've yet to get anywhere useful w/ Sketchup; it and I just don't seem to "be able to communicate"... :(
I tried again and somehow munged up the toolbar -- how does one restore the defaults?

To reset the default toolbar to its original tool set: select Toolbar Options > Add or Remove Buttons > Main Toolbar > Reset Toolbar -or- On the Customize dialog box’s Toolbars tab, select Main Toolbar and click the Reset button.
dpb wrote:

I found a book to be more useful than videos.

On 7/14/2018 10:14 PM, Bill wrote:

Any one in particular?

dpb wrote:

I believe this was my first one:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)31710531&sr=8-20&keywords=sketchup#reader_0596521464
But it's 9 years old now (and can be had cheap). There seem to be many more choices now. Surely it was designed for an older version of the product. But I don't think that would be a big deal. In my experience, it was easier to follow directions that were given in text, rather than to try to pick up instructions by watching someone in a video-where you may not see them right-click, for instance.
Remembering Leon's suggestion to "Make Components" is worth remembering (or you'll be forever frustrated when trying to change a model--at that point it's too late).
Start small, be patient, and you'll be able to learn how to do everything. I used to practice trying to build a 3-d house from scratch everyday, Then I'd add a door, a window, furniture (from the "component store), bushes, sidewalk, etc. One you figure it out, you can build fast. Take a few months off from it, and you won't be as fast.. ha. Good luck!
Bill

On 7/15/2018 11:24 PM, Bill wrote:

Yes, that's one of many "Keys" to learning sketchup. More basic than that however is nothing is very intuitive and trying to skip around doesn't work, you must start small and take small steps. Draw a rectangle with the rectangle tool, size it in the dimension panel. Push it into a box, size it, make it a component, etc, etc.

I'll say. I was really proficient at it but haven't used it in a year or so. I recently tried using it and while rusty, the damn app no longer works correctly. The select tool takes 30 seconds to make a selection. Turns out this problem was common with a WIN 10 update in 2017 (specifically KB4013429) I'm current at ver. 1803 build 17134.165 and apparently the problem still exists, at least for me.
If one would try to learn SU with this problem occurring, they would fail miserably before getting off the ground. The solution in 2017 appeared to be removing the win update, but it would return when WIN did it's automatic update. I haven't figured out the fix, if there is one, yet.
--
Jack
On 7/16/2018 10:03 AM, Jack wrote:

NO kidding!
The solution in 2017

I know that you can and or could have Windows wait for permission from you to perform updates, you could look at the updates that were going to be applied and uncheck the ones that would be a problem, that is how I prevented Windows from updating my Win 7 to Win 10.
Have you checked with Sketchup?
On 7/16/2018 2:59 PM, Leon wrote:

Win10 is the first win I allowed updates at all. They make it hard, if not impossible not to update the thing. Problem was I wasn't using Sketchup when the aforementioned update apparently screwed it up, and not sure I can go back that far to remove updates, at least the list of prior updates only shows 2018 on my system. I've had a problem with Thunderbird loading slowly, probably the same issue from the same update. Others have had the same issue there as well. As it is, Sketchup is pretty much worthless to me until I get this fixed. It could be system specific, as in my graphics card, or chips, who knows?
Are you running WIN10 or 7 now? This is the first problem I've had since it was released.

No. I'm guessing they are only interested in paying customers now. All I did (yesterday) was a DAGS that turned up the issue was/is common with that specific win update. I tried a reinstall w/o removal of SU and it asked if I wanted to repair errors or remove it. I did the repair errors, and that didn't do a thing, nor did changing win compatibility to Win 7 and win 8.
--
Jack
On 7/17/2018 10:15 AM, Jack wrote:

Did another Google search and found the fix for the select tool.
Window/preferences/Open GL/Hardware acceleration --- off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnA59j9tEb0

That fixed it. Hooray for Google and YouTube, and TakNeekwala who took the time to post the fix.
--
Jack
On 7/17/2018 9:59 AM, Jack wrote:

Great! FWIW there have a series of updates that have been screwing with my computer in the last few weeks. Further updates have corrected the problems.
On 7/17/2018 4:01 PM, Leon wrote:

I've had some issues too, besides the SU thing. For one, I had to uninstall Nero (CD/DVD burner) for some updates to complete. Wierd, because after updating, reinstall Nero and it works fine. Also, one update (I assume) was screwing with my mouse, making it jump all over the place. Something eventually fixed it sort of (still happens occasionally).
Windows is a strange beast, always has been and basically didn't work at all (imo) until XP and is now useable although it continues to act like a wounded buffalo. It is, and I guess always will be, the worlds worst operation system. A prime example of why monopolies are bad...
--
Jack
On Wednesday, July 18, 2018 at 9:22:45 AM UTC-5, Jack wrote:

ll

ith

it

Jack,
I will try to answer as non-prejudicially as possible. I used Dos and Wind ows desktop and laptop systems for 30 years. When MS office brought out th eir subscription pricing, I subscribed. I worked around computer applicatio n and software development most of my career (retired). I came to the concl usion that no software product will have a long life cycle with good suppor t if there is insufficient income to support it. That’s why the sub scription models are becoming the norm.
I threw in the towel on Windows with the intersection of version 8.1 and la ptops with higher resolution screens. Font sizing was all over the place d epending on which app you used. I also had had it with the slow degradation of windows performance due to registry bloat. Upgrading to a new version of Windows or doing a clean install with all my apps was a humongous chore. I found myself spending 2-3 days a month fussing with the home computer i ssues, especially when I got interested in photoshop and lightroom. I also was tired of the predictable failures of whatever computer I bought at abo ut 3 years of age. Honestly, if MS had come out with version 10 at that tim e, I might never have changed. But they didn’t.
Ok, to your questions. I still subscribe to MS office but may drop it next year. The apple office products have been steadily enhanced to the point that they are quite good. They are “different” in their ap proach, but I have found them to be quite robust. They import and export M S office docs seemingly transparently. One caveat - if you are a power Exce l user and use some of the deep analysis tools that are part of excel, you won’t find that anywhere else that I know of.
I purchased the two most powerful Macbook pros available in 2014, including highest available processor, dedicated graphics card, 1 TB solid state dri ve,16 gb memory, and 15” high resolution screen. They are still per formance beasts to me. The build quality is better than any Windows PC I e ver owned. Such things as solid metal construction and superb keyboard are apparent. The apple trackpad is so superior to anything under windows, you cannot even compare them. As to exorbitant pricing, I still am willing to pay it because I see it as a well supported long term investment. I can c all apple support and speak to a well trained technician based in Austin. I can go to an Apple store and get personal help on software or hardware iss ues “for free”. All of that is part of the exorbitant pri ce. I expect my laptop will have a life of at least 7 years. I have been t hrough four major operating system version updates with these computers. A ll of the updates were free. I have not had a single issue with any update. One of these updates included a complete file system re-design to provide better performance with solid state drives. It was all transparent to me. I have not had to reinstall a single application with these updates. My d ays of nursing computers along have long past.
Now, let me say that there is still one windows based application that I co uld not replace. That is cutlist plus (finally back on a woodworking topic) . I installed a product called Parallels that allows me to run windows sim ultaneously under Mac OS. It is amazing. I have an icon on my mac desktop that allows me to open and run Cutlist plus in its own window just like an y other mac application. It uses the trackpad, printing, clipboard, etc ju st like any other Mac app. All of this because of the parallels product. I find it hilarious that the cutlist developer does his development on a Ma c running windows under Parallels.
I hope this has been useful to you. Bob

Microsoft knows the registry sucks, it's a prime example of scope creep. The guy who came up with it had a power point where it says: Let me say something about the registry: I'm sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry
It's a great example of scope creep. It's a good idea on its face, they just went overboard storing stuff in it.
Puckdropper

Actually, all user-specific or hardware-specific configuration information is _supposed_ to go there. What makes it a mess is the idiot developers who store user-specific information in the hardware part and vice versa.
The idea is that you log into a different machine with a different processor and different video and different everything else, your configuration, your application settings, etc, all go with you, all in one neat little file.

That's the major complaint. "one neat little file".
Give me unix style configuration files (ASCII, one per subsystem) any day.
On 7/20/2018 9:42 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

+1
UNIX, the worlds greatest OS, undoubtedly inspired by god, or God if you're a believer.
--
Jack

OK, tell us how, in unix, you transfer a user's settings from an Alpha to an Itanium. Don't just say "copy files". Which specific files do you copy and how do you know that those are the ones?

Copy the home directory, of course. All the user settings are in 'dot' files in the home directory.
On 7/19/2018 5:46 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

... Insufficient number (204) of "sorry's snipped for brevity...

Probably right, but not sure what scope creep is. Gets worse as you add to it?
It's a good idea on its face, they

I don't think the registry was ever a good idea, not on it's face, back, knees or sitting on it's butt. It was either designed by morons (most likely) or by geniuses (most UNlikely) hell bent on making a tangled mess that would insure hordes of (computer) illiterates would buy tons of virus software and indeed even new computers after the tangle overwhelmed them, their hardware and software. It's pretty much the reason tar and feathers was invented.
So, rather than scope creep, I think it's a great example of building on a foundation of crap. If the foundation sucks, the top floors will also suck. It's not just the registry either, it's pretty much everything Microsoft. Dos, Win and there apps are all poorly designed from the bottom up. With weak foundations, you get crap.
--
Jack

What does virus software have to do with the registry?

Propose an alternative design that addresses the same problem. Don't say "text files in etc" until you are prepared to explain how to distinguish, in an automated manner, across multiple hardware architectures, you can diistinguish between those files that are specific to that particular computer and have to be different on a different computer, files that are specific to a user but should be the same on every computer he uses, files that are necessary to the network architecture that is being used and should be the same on every computer on the network, and files that are hardware specific and need to be the same on every computer with that hardware architecture.